Looking for Idea's for what to put in a BOB. (Bug Out Bag)

S&WM&P40

I'm starting to put a list together for a BOB for me and my family. It's going to be a BOB/Every day use bag.

Here is what i have so far.

Cheap Rain ponchos x4
Roll of duck tape
Hand sanitizer
hand lotion
baby wipes
Change of clothes for the family ( one for each person)
Socks
Swiss fleece sleeping bag liners x 4 ( in a vacuum sealed bag)
Jumper cables
Water

Tri fold shovel (with case)
pro fore Survival matches (About 20 or how every many i can fit into the water tight case)
Sawvivor folding saw + extra blade.
Jet scream whistle
light my fire Swedish fire steel.
Wet fire tinder
Emergency blanket x4
water purification tabs (40)
Signal mirror
OD para cord 300 to 1000ft
9'' KA-Bar bowie knife (Survival knife)
Hard plastic hand gun ammo case 50 rounds of 9mm ( will refill all 3 of my mags)
Binoculars (Small compact ones)
Elf-1 night vision scope ( hand scope)
IR torch
flash lights ( about 5 cheap ones)
Batteries ( AAA,AA) 60 (30 of each)
Two way radios ( with weather Ch)
Solar/crank fm/am radio.
5 military grade MRE's.
2 packages of wet ones.
2 packages of BIO wipes
knife sharp
Bug Nets x 4
Hobo tool x 4
Mess kits x4
large water proof box.
Compass
Tarp.
Rope for repelling and stuff like that.
Emergency Strobe Light's x 4.
package of 5 15'' 12 hour light sticks (green)
Small fishing kit.
Sewing kit.
2 Emergency tube tents.
And more to come. Before you say well you did not have a first aid kit in it. That's because i have a tactical EMT/Combat medic backpack fully stocked with that gear. Any thing i should add? keep in mind that this is not just a bug out bag it's also a every day bag.

Last edited:
I also have a back pack stove and water purifier. The following site has some good info.

Link Removed

Looking for ideas

One item I have seen Massad Ayoob write about that I wish I could afford, but would be invaluable in a BOB is a set of Wolf Ears. He supposedly keeps a pair on the nightstand next to his weapon. Wolf Ears are electronic ear muff type hearing protectors that serve two purposes. On hte one hand, they amplify sounds around you, so you can detect possible dangers. In the event you have to fire or someone fires at you, the device damps the report of a gun down to where it does not harm your hearing or ruin your situational awareness. Just a suggestion.

I also have a back pack stove and water purifier. The following site has some good info.

Link Removed

Yeah i was looking at stuff like that. i said the hell with it. As one the gas can will only last so long till i need a new one. Two I don't want to carry the gas round. I would just build a fire for cooking as the wood is free and does not run out.

One item I have seen Massad Ayoob write about that I wish I could afford, but would be invaluable in a BOB is a set of Wolf Ears. He supposedly keeps a pair on the nightstand next to his weapon. Wolf Ears are electronic ear muff type hearing protectors that serve two purposes. On hte one hand, they amplify sounds around you, so you can detect possible dangers. In the event you have to fire or someone fires at you, the device damps the report of a gun down to where it does not harm your hearing or ruin your situational awareness. Just a suggestion.

As this is a family bag i would have no need for it. If a item can not help the family it's not going in there. Two this bag would only be used out side/outside of the house. So i would have no need for that kind of gear.

I looked through your list to make sure I didn't miss it, but it looks to me like you're missing the most important item of all: a Bible!

Detailed maps for your area, or wherever you might go
Map bag with lanyard
Small regular and grease pencils
Speed loader for magazines
Baling wire
Garbage bags
Small roll of aluminum tape - good for temporary repairs to high temperature stuff, like lights or cooking equipment
GPS or radio rescue beacon
Repair kit for holes in tents, boots, etc
A packable hard outer shell suit for everyone - Walmart sells these for cheap, and they're fairly well-made

I looked through your list to make sure I didn't miss it, but it looks to me like you're missing the most important item of all: a Bible!

That's a good one but the wife does not believe in the whole god thing for reasons we will not get into on the forums. But that is a good thing to have.

Detailed maps for your area, or wherever you might go
Map bag with lanyard
Small regular and grease pencils
Speed loader for magazines
Baling wire
Garbage bags
Small roll of aluminum tape - good for temporary repairs to high temperature stuff, like lights or cooking equipment
GPS or radio rescue beacon
Repair kit for holes in tents, boots, etc
A packable hard outer shell suit for everyone - Walmart sells these for cheap, and they're fairly well-made

Map bag is a great idea, pencils great idea. Bailing wire? whats that? what would it be used for? Like for snare traps? Garbage bags for what? Tape is a nice idea. I'm trying to stay away from GPS not because i cant afford it but more so. Because it runs on Batteries and you may not always be able to find them. It's a great tool if you know how to use and read it. They also have the new ones that use Sat photos and send the photos to the unit. Hard outer shell? like what? a rain coat?

I'm trying to stay away from GPS not because i cant afford it but more so. Because it runs on Batteries and you may not always be able to find them.

All the one's I've seen use rechargeable batteries and plug into your vehicle.

A compass and a map is always a good idea. GPS's maps are sometimes wrong. GPS's being electronic can fail.

But if you are in the middle of the deep woods living off the land. How are you going to charge the batts? Now if they made a Sun powered GPS that would rock.

There are solar chargers for batteries. Radio's and GPS's often use AA batteries.

But then I don't anticipate being out in the middle of nowhere but rather in or around a city/town. I would not likely abandon my vehicle, which would be my camper on my F350 and which has a propane generator and I have a Honda 2000 watt gas generator.

Family Preps

Small solar panel

Meds...All the OTC you can think of. Benydril is a big one due to the allergic reaction with bugs, bees, food, plants etc. factor. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, tylenol, cough drops, female items (you know "Earl Price check Isle 7" as you cringe and try to crawl under the counter.), sunscreen, antibiotic creme, allergy medicine (you can't shoot a rifle with hay fever!)

Vitamins...in bad dietary situations the first thing to go is the eyes ...nuff said!

What you leave with may be all you have. Plan ahead. Keep meds dark and cool.

oh yeah...a cool pair of shades/shooting glasses.

BOB thoughts.

all good so far. candles make good firestarters and can serve by hem selves a a source for heat and light. put a Bible in bag anyway. wifeepoo will get over it. emergencies tend to make people call on God becausethey have run out of options. you and she need to know what those options are. i will leave it at that. a good survival manual can come in handy . you might even be able to download one and then print it out if need be. i have some old time radio shows, youmight be able to obtain some as a diversion when you are not on watch. i have done this same thing and i need to go thru it. i try to go through and upgrade and improve and rotate food and meds, etc every 6 months.

I have the SAS hand book covers every thing i will need to know. I'M trying to stay away from man made stuff. Find stuff in the wild or home made stuff. As if the shit does hit the fan the OTC crap will only last so long. But being that it is a every day carry bag as well i will add some stuff in. All good stuff keep it coming.

There are solar chargers for batteries. Radio's and GPS's often use AA batteries.

But then I don't anticipate being out in the middle of nowhere but rather in or around a city/town. I would not likely abandon my vehicle, which would be my camper on my F350 and which has a propane generator and I have a Honda 2000 watt gas generator.

Yeah see if the Shit does hit the fan i would be getting the Hell out of the city and away from people.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back