Looking for compact single stack 40 caliber pistol.

corneileous

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm looking for a single stack compact or sub compact pistol for conceal carry in a 40 S&W. I've seen a bunch in 9 mm like the Taurus slim, beretta nano and lc9 or lc9s in Ruger but the only one so far in a 40 I've seen is the smith and Wesson mp shield performance center.
0205b6c08d4acefb0e0b95efe1efc32f.jpg

Not a bad looking pistol, just looking for whatever else may be out there.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them Springfields, just wish they came with a slide saftey like the smith and Wesson in my opening post.....

The S&W M&P Shield 40 comes in multiple variants and configurations. If you want the manual safety, you want to look at the Link Removed. Note that the manual safety is not easy to manipulate, to the point that those that do not like manual safeties do not have a problem with having one on the S&W M&P Shield. It is so difficult to manipulate that you can't accidentally engage it.

The Performance Center versions come with a ported barrel and a slightly better trigger. If you can't handle the snap of the .40 without a ported barrel, then you might just want to get the 9mm version anyway. The ported barrel does reduce bullet speed and therefore terminal performance. The standard trigger will become quite smooth after a 1,000 rounds or so, so there is no need for the Performance Center trigger. The Performance Center line is geared toward sport shooters.

As for sights, the S&W M&P Shield 40 comes with different options here as well. The standard rear sight is slanted, meaning you won't be able to rack the slide one-handed off your belt or some other hard corner. The Tritium night rear sight is less slanted and has some edge. I would stay away from the fiber sights. They do break, meaning a fiber rod will come loose and you will lose it. I personally prefer Link Removed.

Note that in firearms training circles, the S&W M&P Shield 9 and 40 count as good to go, meaning the firearm has been proven to be very reliable and user friendly for self defense purposes. Many do prefer the 9 over the 40 though (i.e., one more round) and without manual safety (i.e., no need for a feature that is not used).

Go to a range that rents it and try it out. You will love it.

PS: Note that I don't have the S&W M&P Shield. I have been considering the S&W M&P Shield 9 or Glock 43 for a while now, but have so far seen no need to spend money on a handgun that I could spend on a rifle instead. I have shot rental S&W M&P Shields in 9mm and .40 S&W.

PS: Note that I don't have the S&W M&P Shield. I have been considering the S&W M&P Shield 9 or Glock 43 for a while now, but have so far seen no need to spend money on a handgun that I could spend on a rifle instead. I have shot rental S&W M&P Shields in 9mm and .40 S&W.

I owned a Shield for a while and ended up selling it to fund a 9C. I didn't care for the way it fit my hand and I didn't like the capacity.

I owned a Shield for a while and ended up selling it to fund a 9C. I didn't care for the way it fit my hand and I didn't like the capacity.

I am considering the S&W M&P Shield 9 or Glock 43 for appendix carry, as a backup. I already have my Glock 19 or 20 as a 4-o'cock primary, and my Glock 26 for more complicated arrangements (crotch carry in a SmartCarry, pocket carry in a DeSantis Nemesis, or ankle carry in a Galco ankle glove). I just can't get myself to carry the Glock 26 in an appendix holster.

The S&W M&P Shield 40 comes in multiple variants and configurations. If you want the manual safety, you want to look at the Link Removed.
I didn't see that one. That would be the model I would be more interested in. Helluva lot cheaper too.

Note that the manual safety is not easy to manipulate, to the point that those that do not like manual safeties do not have a problem with having one on the S&W M&P Shield. It is so difficult to manipulate that you can't accidentally engage it.

What do you mean by not easily manipulated? Are you saying it's difficult to take the saftey on and off?

If I was interested in a 9, I'd more than likely just go with a Ruger LC9s because I liked the trigger pull and I liked how easy it was to take it off saftey when it was "go time". I haven't shot one but testing one in a store with a ISW holster, it seemed like it came as second nature to take the saftey off immediately upon taking it out of the holster. A pistol with that similar characteristic would be what I would be looking for, hopefully in a 40.

The Performance Center versions come with a ported barrel and a slightly better trigger.

The ported barrel does reduce bullet speed and therefore terminal performance.
Ported barrel? I noticed it had that when I looked at it on Smith and Wessons site but didn't look into what it was.

If you can't handle the snap of the .40 without a ported barrel, then you might just want to get the 9mm version anyway.
I'm a big guy with fairly large hands so, that may or may not be the case but, since whatever I go with will be used for personal conceal carry, there will be a lot more research and such before I buy one.

The standard rear sight is slanted, meaning you won't be able to rack the slide one-handed off your belt or some other hard corner. The Tritium night rear sight is less slanted and has some edge.
What do you mean by racking the slide one handed?

Whatever the case may be, there won't be a reason to rack the slide because there will be a round in the chamber at all times.

I would stay away from the fiber sights. They do break, meaning a fiber rod will come loose and you will lose it. I personally prefer Link Removed.
Not interested in fiber sights. Me personally I'd rather go with them glow on the dark sights.

I have shot rental S&W M&P Shields in 9mm and .40 S&W.[/I]

Was there a reasonable amount of recoil difference between the two?

Which one are you talking about? The SR9C? If so, I considered that one too, especially in the 40 caliber but it's a double stack. That's why I'm asking about single stacks.

If I was gonna go with a double stack, I'd be all over the Beretta px4 storm sub compact in a 40. That's what I really want because it's pretty much the same as my full size Beretta.

I'm looking more for comfort in an inside the waistband holster.

I know there's a lot to be said about having enough rounds and having something that you can shoot well with but let's face it, if the gun isn't comfortable in holster that goes inside the waistband of your pants, you won't carry it. Maybe I'm worrying too much about it in anything in a sub compact or compact size but, id really rather not go through that much trial and error. I'm already out 25 bucks in shipping charges for finding out that my big beretta don't conceal carry worth a flip even in an Alien Gear 3.0 IWB Holster.

I forgot to mention this. Some people seem to have difficulties with properly seating the 7 round magazine in an M&P Shield 9. I don't as I slam the mag home.

I would think every semi auto pistol would require a fairly firm "slap" to seat the magazine.

If it's anything like my full size beretta with a "stock" extended magazine that took a fairly rough slap to seat the mag, that would indicate to me there is a problem that needs to be addressed. After taking the extended magazine apart and cutting off one of the coils of the spring, the magazine now seats the same as the standard magazine.

What do you mean by not easily manipulated? Are you saying it's difficult to take the saftey on and off?

Yes, you need to try it out to understand. It is just not your standard thumb safety. It is a little bit different.

Ported barrel? I noticed it had that when I looked at it on Smith and Wessons site but didn't look into what it was.

Yes, the barrel and respectively the slide have venting holes in it to redirect gases upwards. The idea being it reduces muzzle rise, which it does. Since gases are vented while the bullet is still advancing inside the barrel, the bullet loses some exit velocity in comparison to a normal barrel.

If you can't handle the snap of the .40 without a ported barrel, then you might just want to get the 9mm version anyway.
I'm a big guy with fairly large hands so, that may or may not be the case but, since whatever I go with will be used for personal conceal carry, there will be a lot more research and such before I buy one.

Handling recoil is more about training and practice than anything else. I am 5'7" and 130 lbs. I regularly shoot hot 10mm rounds out of my Glock 20 (e.g., 200 gr hardcast at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs).

One handed weapon manipulation is part of standard defensive pistol training. You may only have one hand free to operate your gun, because you have been wounded, your attacker is holding you by your other hand or arm, or you use your other hand or arm to open doors or to guide a person you are protecting (e.g. a family member).

Whatever the case may be, there won't be a reason to rack the slide because there will be a round in the chamber at all times.

You have been shot in the left arm. You shoot with your pistol with your right hand only. You have a failure to extract malfunction. Now what? You move, you tap the mag on your pelvis, and then you rack the slide on your belt or belt buckle or on a table or door frame, lodging the rear sight against a hard corner. This way, you clear the malfunction and you are back in action.

Now you have emptied your magazine and need to reload. You seek cover, dump the empty mag one handed. Now you stick the handgun into your waistband and get a fresh magazine, again all one handed. You insert the magazine, take the gun out of your waistband, tap it on your pelvis, and rack the slide on your belt. You are back in action.

I have been posting the following comment over and over again: Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last. Get some training.

Here is a video by Reid Henrichs from Valor Ridge about one handed gun manipulation:

Not interested in fiber sights. Me personally I'd rather go with them glow on the dark sights.

Tritium night sights are a very good choice, as they aid in low light conditions. However, you will never fire your weapon in complete darkness as you don't see what you are firing at. A weapon mounted light, a flash light or just ambient light has to provide enough illumination to positively identify the thread. Tritium night sights help you in properly lining up your sights in all these conditions.

Note that the XS Big Dots have a Tritium option as well. That's what I use.

Was there a reasonable amount of recoil difference between the two?

Some, but not significant. On the other hand, this is very subjective. Again, realize that I am regularly shooting the real .40 cal (i.e., 10mm) which has significantly more kick.

Bofh pretty much cover this but it does indicate a lack of training. If you're going to carry a handgun for self-defense your training should take into account the fact that you might be wounded and you might have to manipulate the gun one handed.

The techniques that I was taught are a little different than what Bofh is telling you, I was taught to hook the sight on my belt or my boot but same result.

That's one of the reasons I recommend a good basic handgun self-defense course to everybody that's going to carry a handgun for self-defense because one of the first things you learn when you go to the class is how much you don't know.

Yes, you need to try it out to understand. It is just not your standard thumb safety. It is a little bit different.

If it's anything like the lc9s that Ruger makes, I liked it. The day I got to check that one out, I checked out a smith and Wesson compact, not sure of it was the mp shield or bodyguard but, it's slide saftey was very similar to the Ruger.

Yes, the barrel and respectively the slide have venting holes in it to redirect gases upwards. The idea being it reduces muzzle rise, which it does. Since gases are vented while the bullet is still advancing inside the barrel, the bullet loses some exit velocity in comparison to a normal barrel.
Gotcha.
Handling recoil is more about training and practice than anything else. I am 5'7" and 130 lbs. I regularly shoot hot 10mm rounds out of my Glock 20 (e.g., 200 gr hardcast at 1250 fps with 694 ft-lbs).
True but within reason. Some calibers are just too much for some people.

One handed weapon manipulation is part of standard defensive pistol training. You may only have one hand free to operate your gun, because you have been wounded, your attacker is holding you by your other hand or arm, or you use your other hand or arm to open doors or to guide a person you are protecting (e.g. a family member).

You have been shot in the left arm. You shoot with your pistol with your right hand only. You have a failure to extract malfunction. Now what? You move, you tap the mag on your pelvis, and then you rack the slide on your belt or belt buckle or on a table or door frame, lodging the rear sight against a hard corner. This way, you clear the malfunction and you are back in action.

Now you have emptied your magazine and need to reload. You seek cover, dump the empty mag one handed. Now you stick the handgun into your waistband and get a fresh magazine, again all one handed. You insert the magazine, take the gun out of your waistband, tap it on your pelvis, and rack the slide on your belt. You are back in action.
Here is a video by Reid Henrichs from Valor Ridge about one handed gun manipulation:

Interesting video. Never even knew that was possible. Wonder why they never incorporated that nifty little trick in any of th Die Hard or Lethal Wepon movies??....lol. Although it was cool watching Linda Hamilton pump that shotgun one handed in Terminator 2...[emoji50][emoji50]

But in all seriousness, wouldn't that be hard on your rear sights? I'd kinda like to see about practicing that but I'd be afraid of yankin' my sight off.

Ihave been posting the following comment over and over again: Mindset, skill and gear are the important factors in a gun fight. Most people ignore the first two and go all out nuts on the last. Get some training.
Very true. Training is something everybody needs to consider.

Tritium night sights are a very good choice, as they aid in low light conditions. However, you will never fire your weapon in complete darkness as you don't see what you are firing at. A weapon mounted light, a flash light or just ambient light has to provide enough illumination to positively identify the thread. Tritium night sights help you in properly lining up your sights in all these conditions.

Note that the XS Big Dots have a Tritium option as well. That's what I use.
I'd like to get a rail mounted flashlight or even a flashlight/laser combo for my Beretta since I won't be conceal carrying on me but the only problem I have with that is finding an OWB holster that will accommodate all that and two, since I primarily carry it in a zippered pouch, I'm afraid the switches will easily get turned on running the batteries dead all the time.

What ever I use for carry on me would be perfect for night sights.

Some, but not significant. On the other hand, this is very subjective. Again, realize that I am regularly shooting the real .40 cal (i.e., 10mm) which has significantly more kick.

I would imagine they're would be a little difference especially in a compact single stack 9 and 40. For me it would just be practice and getting the muscle memory down to not even think about which gun I had in my hand at any given time.

That's one of the reasons I recommend a good basic handgun self-defense course to everybody that's going to carry a handgun for self-defense because one of the first things you learn when you go to the class is how much you don't know.
Well, atleast that's one good thing about requiring a carry permit is that it forces applicants to get some kind of training. May not be to the extent of what cops or military go through but atleast it's something. Think about all the people out there that live in states that don't require permits; have they even shot a gun before? Know the difference between what will keep you out of the pokey and what'll land you behind bars? When I got my SDA certificate I didn't go through any extensive handgun saftey course or self defense course but atleast I was gone through the laws.

Well, atleast that's one good thing about requiring a carry permit is that it forces applicants to get some kind of training. May not be to the extent of what cops or military go through but atleast it's something. Think about all the people out there that live in states that don't require permits; have they even shot a gun before? Know the difference between what will keep you out of the pokey and what'll land you behind bars? When I got my SDA certificate I didn't go through any extensive handgun saftey course or self defense course but atleast I was gone through the laws.

This from the guy who suggested mailing guns rather than going through the process of transporting them in baggage when flying?

Wow.

This from the guy who suggested mailing guns rather than going through the process of transporting them in baggage when flying?

Wow.

Since that was in a whole different thread about an entirely different discussion, I really shouldn't even respond.

But as it's already been explained in THAT thread, what's your point coming in this thread only to blather about something that doesn't even apply? You got it out for me or somethin' Blues? Just because we had a disagreement in another discussion?

Interesting video. Never even knew that was possible. Wonder why they never incorporated that nifty little trick in any of th Die Hard or Lethal Wepon movies??....lol. Although it was cool watching Linda Hamilton pump that shotgun one handed in Terminator 2...[emoji50][emoji50]

Gun handling in movies is typically substandard or outright wrong. Action movies are about looking cool and explosions, reality is about survival. Big difference.

For some movies, actors do get appropriate professional firearms training that sometimes transitions over into the movie when the writers, the camera men, and the director are not hellbent on screwing it up for effect. Jeremy Renner took the Fighting Rifle course with Tactical Response, for example. Sasha Jackson, a British actress, showed pretty good AK handling skills in Jarhead 3.

But in all seriousness, wouldn't that be hard on your rear sights? I'd kinda like to see about practicing that but I'd be afraid of yankin' my sight off.

Not if you get the right equipment. Sights should be made out of steel and durable. Many handgun sights are bomb proof.

I'd like to get a rail mounted flashlight or even a flashlight/laser combo for my Beretta since I won't be conceal carrying on me but the only problem I have with that is finding an OWB holster that will accommodate all that and two, since I primarily carry it in a zippered pouch, I'm afraid the switches will easily get turned on running the batteries dead all the time.

Going back to my argument of getting training, understand how to use your equipment. I carry both, a weapon mounted light and a handheld flashlight. I don't use lasers at this point. The topic of lights and lasers is an entirely separate discussion, same goes for carry method.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back