Looking for CCW class, just the legal part

helios

Hi All, I recently moved to SC from RI and I am a NRA certified firearms instructor. I'm told that as a result I need only take the legal portion of the CCW class to get a permit. Searching with Google, I can only find full classes. Can someone point me to a legal only qualifying class? Thanks...

No, NRA instructors and certain other persons are exempt from all portions of the training except that which relates to the laws of South Carolina.

From Section 23-31-210:

(4) "Proof of training" means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, successfully has completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child;

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor, provided that a minimum of twenty-five rounds must be fired;

(v) properly securing a firearm in a holster;

(vi) "cocked and locked" carrying of a firearm;

(vii) how to respond to a person who attempts to take your firearm from your holster; and

(viii) deescalation techniques and strategies.

(b) a person who demonstrates any of the following must comply with the provisions of subitem (a)(i) only:

(i) a person who demonstrates the completion of basic military training provided by any branch of the United States military who produces proof of his military service through the submission of a DD214 form;

(ii) a retired law enforcement officer who produces proof that he is a graduate of the Criminal Justice Academy or that he was a law enforcement officer prior to the requirement for graduation from the Criminal Justice Academy; or

(iii) a retired state or federal law enforcement officer who produces proof of graduation from a federal or state academy that includes firearms training as a graduation requirement;

(c) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED-approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

(d) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;

(e) an active duty police handgun instructor;

(f) a person who has a SLED-certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or

(g) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard.

Unless you are current or former law enforcement, or have requisite military training, you need to take the full CCW course that includes live fire training.

You take the CCW course so that you can get the CCW permit and wear your CCW Badge like a sheepdog. Just because you intend to wear a CCW Instructor's Badge does not relieve you of your sheepdog obligation to take the CCW class, which includes live fire training.
I have no plan to become a CCW instructor. I have no plan to wear a badge. I am already an NRA certified instructor. I quoted the relevant statute above, and I even bolded the specific parts which provide that an NRA certified instructor is exempt from all portions of the training except the legal element. This includes being exempt from the livefire. If you believe I misread the statute perhaps you can look it and tell me what I missed?

(OPENS ENVELOPE)

And the award for trying to weasel out of CCW class goes to helios. Please come up on stage and give a brief acceptance speech and pick up your CCW Badge on the table next to the podium.
*SIGH* One can't "weasel out" of something one is not obligated to do. I'm not going to spend a bunch of time and money sitting through a class I'm well qualified to teach if I don't have to, and in this case, I don't.

Is there someone here who can answer the question?

Hi All, I recently moved to SC from RI and I am a NRA certified firearms instructor. I'm told that as a result I need only take the legal portion of the CCW class to get a permit. Searching with Google, I can only find full classes. Can someone point me to a legal only qualifying class? Thanks...
Have you tried contacting any of the instructors that are listed on Google or elsewhere?
They may offer the shorter option even if it is not listed on their website.
You might try asking your question on a South Caroline, specific, firearms website, rather than on a national one like this.

I, too, am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. Just take the class. When you get to the part about live-fire range qualification, you will (more than likely) simply be excused. That's what happened to me when I got my non-resident Florida license-to-carry.

There was no cost savings; I paid the full price for the course; but the retired Miami police officer who ran the class simply took my NRA Instructor's ID number, and let me walk.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back