Looking for advice on knife selection

Sounds like fond memories.. Very cool.
I had one of those folding knives with the fork and spoon in it. It was my pride and joy!!!
At Boy Scout camp it came in handy...

I have 4 Benchmades, 2 Kershaws, 2 Swiss Army, 1 Schrade LB8, a Gerber bolt action, and a Buck or 2...

Can't beat a good knife...

Peace...

I picked up a couple Ka-Bar Hobo's ( Link Removed ) as a replacement for the old Boy Scout knife you were talking about. One stays in my hunting coat and the other stays in the truck. I like it better than the Boy Scout knife because the spoon, knife and fork can be separated and used at the same time. I think Atlanta Cutlery was carrying them for like $20 back when I got mine.

I picked up a couple Ka-Bar Hobo's ( Link Removed ) as a replacement for the old Boy Scout knife you were talking about. One stays in my hunting coat and the other stays in the truck. I like it better than the Boy Scout knife because the spoon, knife and fork can be separated and used at the same time. I think Atlanta Cutlery was carrying them for like $20 back when I got mine.

My eyes are filling with happy tears this very moment. :cray: I think I'm gonna have to order one..

I miss that old knife. I still have the old mess kit with the camping supplies.:biggrin:

Peace...

i posted my thoughts on carrying a knife without actually answering the question... $45 S&W assisted open, carry it everywhere and all the time...best $45 i've spent in quite a while...tanto with straight edge (i hate serrated knives)

Link Removed

Cold Steel Urban Pal, Kershaw E.T., Leatherman Skeletool, and a Gerber box cutter :biggrin:

Have you looked at the CRKT Hissatsu folder? It comes in assisted and non-assisted models, and if you buy the assisted version, you can remove the spring if you dont like it. Its not a tool for general use, but designed as a weapon from the get-go. The CRKT site lists it at around $99, but if you shop around online, it can be had at right about the $60 mark. Link Removed I personaly carry a Cold Steel Ti-lite and love it, but that was personal taste, and it fit my criteria.

I have to agree with Dr. Dave, the Cold Steel Voyager Tanto with the Serrated Blade is what you're looking for. The size is correct, the blades are sharp as hell and they are light to carry and has your pocket clip. They are easy to flick open with a flick of your thumb. Cold Steel also tests the crap of their blades and they show you on line what they'll stand up to. I carried one for years...I've since switched to Benchmade, but those as you know are at least twice if not three times the price. For what you've specified as your wants, seems to me Cold Steel is a good bet for you.

"I've since switched to Benchmade, but those as you know are at least twice if not three times the price."

FYI, Benchmade offers a blue and a red-box knife. Red-box is the cheap "Made in China" type and the blue-box is the more expensive, Made in USA knife. I collect automatics (switchblades) and they make some fine ones which LEO's carry.

Since this post started over a year and a half ago, I have to ask the question: Did you get a knife yet? And if so give details of what you got and how you like it.:pleasantry:

I just got a new auto knife the other day and I am very happy with it. It is a Kersaw Breakout with a plain blade. Price was $69.00. Very good blade action, fast. Safety is in a very nice position that feels very normal. It came with a very well shaped edge that needs no reshaping. Metal clip is very strong and is moveable from one side to the other but is always setup so tip is up. It has a hole for a lanyard line. Blade is 3.5". Purchased online from Bladeops.com

They are nice if you can find one. I am surprised this place still had any. Most are trading in the $500.00 range now. I know that Herbertz are making the blades in China or some other country for most of their knives, so I'm not sure about this site having the real German ones.

I don't know that they make a tanto pattern blade but Kershaw is hard to beat for the price. Pretty hard to beat regardless of price, actually.

I always carry my pocket clip knife, but if I cannot CC I lash my SOG "Seal Team Pup" to my belt.:laugh:

Knives are very useful as defensive weapons. However, training is a must. Before you get to that point, one must select the correct knife. Things such as locking systems, and steel quality are of the utmost importance!

There are a lot of knives out there that look good, inexpensive, and really a piece of junk unless you are peeling apples. One thing often over looked is the locking system. Cheap spring locks can be a liability when you grip the knife in a fight as the spring can disengage as you tighten the grip. This will lead to you getting cut first by yourself, and then getting hurt by the bad guy!

Edges that roll, or break render the knife little more than a paper weight. Being an instructor in defensive tactics, and having received years of training in the use, and defense of knife attacks I have decided that my knife will go with me every where I carry my side arm.

Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?

I guess I've lost track of how many times this question appears. If you're trying to find a knife with Benchmade quality at a Walmart price, good luck. Unless you are very lucky at a garage sale it just is not going to happen. My suggestion is to save your money and buy a Benchmade and be done with it. After all, it is your life you're talking about. S2

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back