Looking for advice on knife selection

personaly i want to get a spyder co police model, but its about $100 dollars. ive heard its well worth the extra money, but im still unsure on it. i have a master cutlery 5" and it was about $20 bucks, but has stood the tests ive given it over the last 2 years and holds an edge. good luck!

I think carrying a knife is not a bad idea but not sure I would consider it less lethal. Limited because you have to be up close and personal to use it but it can be as lethal or more so than a gun at close range.

OK, this is a bit off topic, but, why a knife?? ......

This was my first thought when he said "less lethal" A knife seems pretty lethal to me. I carry Fox Labs pepper spray and sometimes a stun gun. Lots of good reviews on the Fox pepper spray compared to other brands on it's stopping power. A keychain one goes with me everywhere. After all, how often do you not have your keys? And can go into most places a gun isn't allowed

Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?

I would like to recomend the kershaw black blurTactical Knife was designed by Ken Onion. features a 3 3/8" part serrated Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel modified tanto blade with black Tungsten DLC coat, dual thumb studs for ambidextrous one hand opening, and Speed-Safe assist. 6061T6 aluminum handle has a black anodized finish.I carry this all the time and I paid $57.00 dollars for it at walmart.

What about some personal self-destruct mechanism for when all else fails? You know, the "if I'm gonna die you are too" option. Maybe a belt of hand-grenades with a string through all the pins? Honestly, you guys are too much.

What about some personal self-destruct mechanism for when all else fails? You know, the "if I'm gonna die you are too" option. Maybe a belt of hand-grenades with a string through all the pins? Honestly, you guys are too much.

To much? Have you not heard "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?

If I'm in a situation in which it's possible that I'm going to be bested and my life could end. The other guy is going to need to seek medical attention for some injury. I'm not inclined to go quietly. I'm not invincible nor is anyone else on this site. Mortality is the reality. If I face someone who has the intent to take my life, well I'm not inclined to give it up without some serious resistance.

Quote from Unforgiven spoken by Clint Eastwood as the character Will Munny: "It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Hope it never comes to that...

Peace...

To much? Have you not heard "don't put all your eggs in one basket"?

Come on, some of the people on this site are frightening even me. Badges, flex cuffs, flashlights, a back-up gun, quick-open knives, some guy who wants to carry his swords. What's next? The nuclear football? :hang3:

I feel if you are going to carry a weapon a tactical light is in order. It is always a plus to be able to see what you are shooting at plus the extreme bright light can work in your favor when shined in the eyes. As far as a back up gun many if not most of the good teachers are in favor of a bug. I have read articles by Massad Ayoob, Jim Crillo. Gabe Saurez just to name a few that sing the praises of a bug.

A knife is a very good idea to carry...ESPECIALLY if you are concealed carrying. I always carry a knife opposite my carry side. If you get into a situation where you firearm may get compromised (eg. bg grabbing for it, etc.) then you have your opposite hand to defend from it while the strong side hand continues to control the firearm. Example: in a life defending situation you go for your firearm, BG gets to your hand before you can unholster, you grab your knife out of your off hand pocket and remove their hands from your hand/gun with one smooth movement. a stroke of a knife across a wrist or top of the hand has a profound effect on someones thought process as well as their hand function. My goal in that situation is not to stab them in the chest or some other area or even use the knife as an attack tool in any way, the goal is to retain possesion of my firearm and get it (gun) to a usable position.

If you're looking for quality steel on a budget, I think CRKT (Columbia River Knife & Tool) is an excellent bet for you. They produce quality knives at an excellent price. Their Kit Carson designed M-16 series comes to mind when considering your requirements. I would also suggest you give a read through a book called "Street Steel" by Michale Janich. It is an excellent resource for someone looking to purchase and carry a knife for self defense. Using a knife for this purpose requires some skill and training, just as with a handgun. I would also suggest taking some training in this area if you're serious about using a knife as a back-up.

Add my vote for the CRKT knives!!

I carry an M21-04 (the big brother of the M16 series with a smooth edge) daily in my off side pocket. The M21 is laid out with 4 different points to mount the belt clip (both the left and right sides have points to attach it at each end).

It sharpens well (not fast but well and that's a good thing) and edge retention is very good.

I've been carrying a knives since I was about 6 years old and I've carried everything from cheapo made in Pakistan lockblade to custom Damascus fixed blades (Bromely out in Spokane makes some pretty Damascus, FYI) and I choose to carry the CRKT daily over the Kershaws, Gerbers, Benchmades, SOG's, Cold Steele and heaven only knows what else that's sitting in the drawer or in the safe.

Come on, some of the people on this site are frightening even me. Badges, flex cuffs, flashlights, a back-up gun, quick-open knives, some guy who wants to carry his swords. What's next? The nuclear football? :hang3:

The guy's wanting to find a folding knife to carry and it scares YOU?

The guy that was wondering about affordable BODY ARMOR that he could wear daily a couple weeks ago?

Really? A pocket knife is more worrisome to you than the idea of running around armored up?

I gotta agree about the badges, flashlights, back up guns, batons, mace, stun guns ... There's a whole bunch of Tactical Ted wannabes running around here that seem to have the misconception that a concealed carry permit makes them Super Secret Police Detectives or something. If they actually run around with half the stuff that's talked about on them, it's amazing they don't clank when they walk.

I carry a knife or two (usually 2) because I always have. I'm an East Alabama redneck that grew up in a trailer park or in an old house adjacent to one. Where I come from, by the time you were big enough to use the big boy toilet, somebody had given you a pocket knife (granted, it was duller than a butter knife for obvious reasons but you were carrying it). In school, folks didn't get cut up. I can remember 1 cutting in like 6 years but that guy was crazy anyhow. If it wasn't him slicing a guy's arm (about 5 stitches on the outside and 3 inside), he would have used a bat or half a brick on somebody. He was seriously disturbed and ended up locked up. The teachers borrowed our knives if they need one. I had the school principal get me out of English class to borrow the 3 blade stocksman I carried in my front pocket during my Junior year because he was working on the PA system and needed a knife. I got it back at the end of the day and he called me to his office the next morning so I pick up HIS pocket knife to sharpen.

Now that I are a legal CCW-er type guy, I'm looking at my "less than lethal" options, too - most notably, a knife. State laws forbid carrying anything with more than a 4" blade. I've pretty much decided upon a folding tanto. If my pockets were bottomless, I'd just buy a benchmade and be done with it, but I'm on a budget. I'l looking to keep it in the $60 range, and I'd like it to have a belt clip.

So.. any suggestions on a good folding tanto with less than 4" of blade and a belt clip in the $60 range?

I have a SOG Pentagon Elite with a Shark Tooth Tip. It is smooth and quick.

If you want a Tanto:

Link Removed

Gotta go with the sharpest knives from the factory, and probably the biggest tanto fans in the US: Cold Steel

Here's a link to their 4" Tanto, in serrated, for $63. I have a bunch of these, highly recommend them.

Link Removed

They are sharp and strong. Use it in the reverse grip.

The guy's wanting to find a folding knife to carry and it scares YOU?

The guy that was wondering about affordable BODY ARMOR that he could wear daily a couple weeks ago?

Really? A pocket knife is more worrisome to you than the idea of running around armored up?

I gotta agree about the badges, flashlights, back up guns, batons, mace, stun guns ... There's a whole bunch of Tactical Ted wannabes running around here that seem to have the misconception that a concealed carry permit makes them Super Secret Police Detectives or something. If they actually run around with half the stuff that's talked about on them, it's amazing they don't clank when they walk.

I carry a knife or two (usually 2) because I always have. I'm an East Alabama redneck that grew up in a trailer park or in an old house adjacent to one. Where I come from, by the time you were big enough to use the big boy toilet, somebody had given you a pocket knife (granted, it was duller than a butter knife for obvious reasons but you were carrying it). In school, folks didn't get cut up. I can remember 1 cutting in like 6 years but that guy was crazy anyhow. If it wasn't him slicing a guy's arm (about 5 stitches on the outside and 3 inside), he would have used a bat or half a brick on somebody. He was seriously disturbed and ended up locked up. The teachers borrowed our knives if they need one. I had the school principal get me out of English class to borrow the 3 blade stocksman I carried in my front pocket during my Junior year because he was working on the PA system and needed a knife. I got it back at the end of the day and he called me to his office the next morning so I pick up HIS pocket knife to sharpen.

Sounds like fond memories.. Very cool.
I had one of those folding knives with the fork and spoon in it. It was my pride and joy!!!
At Boy Scout camp it came in handy...

I have 4 Benchmades, 2 Kershaws, 2 Swiss Army, 1 Schrade LB8, a Gerber bolt action, and a Buck or 2...

Can't beat a good knife...

Peace...

Spyderco probably makes something to fit you. They're great knives for the money.

My biggest challenge each day is selecting my Knife du Jour.

Link Removed

Spyderco may have something to fit you. My biggest challenge each day is deciding on a Knife du Jour.

Link Removed

Oops, how'd that Benchmade get in there?

Ok, I messed up and posted a link to the plain Tanto, not the serrated; not sure how I did that: Here's a Cold Steel serrated tanto Voyager for $57:

Link Removed

As far as less than lethal does this actually apply? We were told in our CCW class that the something like 60% of people stabbed die and only 30 some odd % of people die who are shot?? Don't know if the guy was just blowing smoke but he seemd very sure of his statistics..

:biggrin:The reason is the amount of damage done by a cut. a bullet will punch a hole, the size will depend on the type and size of round. Almost any cut will open a VERY large number of vessels and the person will bleed out almost every time.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back