looking for a subcompact .40

Mathias Jones

Brand new member with a question about safeties, toddlers, and weapon selection.

I’m looking for as subcompact .40 caliber. This will be my first automatic handgun; therefore I’m a little unsure in what features I want. I spend a lot of time in the woods and on the water and would like a small lightweight sidearm with respectable firepower I can tote along. Also to note, when not in the field, the weapon will serve for home defense.

Considerations: Safety is a big one. My 3 year old accompanies me on some trips and he’s bad about getting into things. I’m a responsible gun owner and safe, but I’m not sure if a particular safety or lock would provide an advantage and peace of mind. Is there anything in particular I should look for in a weapon? At home, I can easily keep the gun out of his reach, but on back country trips...

After some research I got settled on a Taurus Millennium Pro, but said research also brought up questions about the weapon’s reliability. What I liked about the Taurus was the light weight (18.7oz), the thumb safety and the proprietary lock system that renders the weapon inoperable and the price is nice. BUT, after much reading on 3rd gen Millennium’s reliability, I don’t completely trust that I’ll be satisfied with the weapon’s function. I’m starting to look at other pistols, but I’m not sure how comfortable I am with their safety features or lack of safety features. My next choice would be Springfield’s XD subcompact. Should I get over not having a thumb safety available and go with the XD? & if I go with the XD and don’t have a lockable weapon, what do you do with a weapon when sleeping in the backcountry with a 3 year old? If I go with the XD or Glock, I’d have to have to carry a separate trigger lock when sleeping in the tent.

Suggestions?

Thanks for any help in the matter.

XD's and Glock's are very reliable as you probably know.

Safety concern's. Trigger locks, I find, to be limiting unless used for long term storage. You're not supposed to use a trigger on a loaded firearm. A locked small case (even a nylon one) should keep your toddler from operating the weapon and still give you quick access if needed.

How comfortable are you sleeping with it on your person? In a good, level 2 holster it will be there when you need it. And keep it away from the kid's hands. Holster choice is important as well.

Basically, if it's not on your person, it's in a locked case.

Weapon choice: Both the XD and Glocks are easy to operate and work on. You won't go wrong with either one.

I own a Taurus pt140 pro great gun 3500-4000 rds through it couple hic-ups but was ammo not gun.
Taurus also has built in lock. You can't go wrong with xd or glock

Glock 27... Completely safe unless you pull the trigger with one in the pipe. Saw a brand new G27 new in box on Gunsamerica.com for $475.00 plus shipping. It has already sold but they can be had for under $500 if you keep an eye out.

Keep it on you... I wonder if a 3 year old could rack the slide on a Glock 27 to charge the weapon??? Probably not but better safe than sorry. I would carry it on you at all times.

XD's and Glock's are very reliable as you probably know.

Safety concern's. Trigger locks, I find, to be limiting unless used for long term storage. You're not supposed to use a trigger on a loaded firearm. A locked small case (even a nylon one) should keep your toddler from operating the weapon and still give you quick access if needed.

How comfortable are you sleeping with it on your person? In a good, level 2 holster it will be there when you need it. And keep it away from the kid's hands. Holster choice is important as well.

Basically, if it's not on your person, it's in a locked case.

Weapon choice: Both the XD and Glocks are easy to operate and work on. You won't go wrong with either one.
+1

I have yet to go camping with the kids since I started carrying, but when that day comes, my Glock will definately be attached to me. Rendering it inoperable does just that, and in the heat of the moment, you don't want to be fiddling with a locked case or locking mechanism.

As for the thumb safety, that is also another step that I care not to deal with when I must use the weapon. A Glock will fire when the trigger is pulled, and that is it. Drop it, throw it against the wall, drag it behind your truck...YouTube - Glock Trigger Torture Test It will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. And since you can't pull the trigger when the gun is properly holstered, you have nothing to worry about.

I have a Beretta 9000 F in .40 ...and it can be yours if the price is right. Just don't tell my wife.... But seriously... It is a great little gun. Here is some info on it from wikipedia:
Beretta 9000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One thing you will find with firing a lot of different sub compacts is they can be kind of snappy. So really, my best advice would be to get out to a range where you can try a bunch of different types and see how they fit you. You may decided that .40 is not your thing, maybe 9mm would be better, or maybe .45. Personally, I prefer .45. For me it could be that the first gun I fired was my dad's 1911. I've fired 9mm, I have fired .380, and I own and have fired my .40, but I like the .45. I have a G30, and it seems like no matter how long it has been between times being to the range, I can always put it right where I want it. My .40, well, not so much... So, I would say time to hit the range.

I agree with the above poster in regards to renting and trying different guns to see which one you are comfortable with. I will like to add that the subcompact versions for 9mm, .40 and above is not a gun for beginners, due to the recoil and practice needed to master the "follow through" shots. I advise to go with full frame models in those calibers. I also recommend the glock. It's the easiest to use and very very reliable!

9mm vs. .40 vs. .357sig vs. .45????? It's about the placement of the shots that matter, not necessarily the caliber.

Thanks for all of the good advice

, but i did have followup questions.

Would a .45 subcompact be less snappy than a .40? & where do you rent guns? The few dealers I've checked with didn't offer a trial run.

Would a .45 subcompact be less snappy than a .40? & where do you rent guns? The few dealers I've checked with didn't offer a trial run.

I think that it would depend on the gun. A well equipped range should have guns for rent.

I haven't fired a .45 subcompact so I can't provide any insight.

Yes, a lot of firing ranges will have guns to rent to fire at their range.

I don't know where you are located, but in the tri-state area of NY, NJ, CT, & PA, many gun ranges rent various guns for practice at their range, including subcompacts of .45 & .40 cal. A good way of finding the right gun to your liking.

If you are determined to get a subcompact, then the issue of whether which one has more of a snap shouldn't matter because it will just take you a little longer to train with and master its recoil.

My choices;
  • S&W Third Generation (CS40, 4013, 4014, 4040 (PD) or Shorty Forty)
  • SIG P239
  • Springfield XD Subcompact

3" barreled .45 ACP pistols have been plagued with issues, they are very finicky about ammo. Right now you have few choices in a 3" .45 ACP. I believe you are limited to just the Para and the S&W CS45 presently.

When I went to renew my NV CFP last October I decided to put all of my subcompact 3rd generation S&W pistols on it; only had a pair of CS40s and a CS45 at the time. I have added a CS9 to my collection since then.

The CS45 would have issues cycling with the range provided ammo. I didn't have any issues using what I normally use at American Shooters (either American Eagle (Federal) or USA (Winchester Whitebox) or UMC (Remington)). Their ammo made my CS45 a jam-o-matic. My CS40 functioned flawlessly with their ammo and mine.

I attribute it to this. The tolerance is tighter on a 3" .45 ACP and the action has to cycle perfectly. The .45 ACP is also one of the longer mainstream pistol cartridges. You don't see this issue with .380 ACP, 9mm MAK, 9mm or .40 S&W as the cartridges are shorter. With longer .45 ACP pistols this isn't an issue since you have at least a half inch more travel in the slide when you to the 1911 Officer's ACP which is the defacto compact size for a .45 ACP.

Unless you can tinker around with what works with your shorter .45 ACP, I would stick to a 9mm or .40 S&W subcompact pistol; subcompact meaning the pistol has a barrel length of under 3.5"

Since you mentioned a thumb safety as a high priority and wanting high reliability, I'd suggest you consider the S&W MP compacts, either 9mm or 40. They weigh in around 20 oz. You can choose to get a thumb safety, magazine disconnect (won't fire round in chamber if magazine is removed), and/or a built in key type lock. Also, you can buy it with only the safe action trigger like the Glock. I recently bought the MP 9 compact with the Crimson Trace laser sights, and highly recommend it.

I agree with others, go find a range and rent a couple guns and try different calibers before the final purchase. Then you can chose a gun wth the safety features you want, but also one that you can quickly put on target and achieve multiple hits.

Regards,
Hawk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back