Looking for a new .380 ...

MissouriShooter

I've just traded off a KT P3AT, still have one and and want to upgrade. I have a ton of .380 ammo on hand and want to stay in caliber at a good price.

Not cash rich.

I'm looking at a Bersa Thunder and all the reviews look pretty good.

Is this a good purchase?

Definatly good choice on the Bursa, a little big for a 380, but you can blast away all day at the range, and not have a hurting hand when your done

I have had a Bersa for 5 years with no problems. One of the most, if not the most accurate pistols i have. I'm very happy with this gun especially for the price. I have been considering a new one, possibly .45 acp. I'm considering looking at this brand.

It's not the smallest 380 on the market, but a bersa 380cc for me is a nice shoot. It's a little heavier due to the aluminum frame, which gives it significantly less recoil that the p3at. I think it's rated for more rounds over the long term than the p3at as well.

Glock 28 'eh? Thanks to that nasty 1968 law and the BATF, they do not meet US import requirements. If they were smaller than the 26, 27, or 33, I could see how they might be more coveted, short of having one just for the sake of having one.

I found this rather interesting information another site:

To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores: Length (7.28") 5
Weight (24.79oz) 25
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores: Length (6.29") 1
Weight (21.87oz) 22
Caliber (9mm) 10
Locked breech 5
Firing pin block 10
Double action 10
Target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2
Total 75 - just enough to get in.

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
- all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
- target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
- target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
- due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported.

I have one of the CC models, they are not as common as the thunder..... It is very reliable and accurate. I would not hesitate to buy any of their pistols.

Bersa 380 is a outstanding gun. Depending on what shop you pick it up at it can be found for around 200.

I've just traded off a KT P3AT, still have one and and want to upgrade. I have a ton of .380 ammo on hand and want to stay in caliber at a good price.

Not cash rich.

I'm looking at a Bersa Thunder and all the reviews look pretty good.

Is this a good purchase?

I have, and carry on a daily basis, an older Thunder .380 (the one before they put the lock on the side of the grip frame), and it works great for me. I also ankle carry this piece where I need deep concealment. Mine has shot great for years and is very accurate. It does not like Federal 95 grain FMJ though. Other than the Federal ammo, it runs like a top.:man_in_love:

why does no one ever mention the glock 28 .380 on this forum.

Probably because I have never seen one in all my years of roaming gun shows and gun stores. Are you sure that Glock even sells that pistol in the United States?

Probably because I have never seen one in all my years of roaming gun shows and gun stores. Are you sure that Glock even sells that pistol in the United States?

They are not offered in the United States, due to the characteristics of the gun making it unable to pass import restrictions. Would be the reason why no one talks about it. If you wish to know more Google "Gun Control Act of 1968".

Import Restrictions

The 1968 Gun Control Act added a "sporting purpose" test which barred imports of military surplus rifles (a goal of many domestic gun makers) and a "points system" for imported handguns which barred from importation handguns based on penalizing features (short barrels, small caliber, short overall length or height, non-adjustable sights, etc.) believed to define the Saturday night special class of handgun.

to be honest i didnt know that they werent imported to the US. Its on glocks website so i assumed it was here. didnt know.

In its present form I cannot see why anybody would want a Glock 28, its the same exact physical size as the 26 and 27, now if it was something small like that lookalike Diamondback, then it may be something

Probably will be a bit pricey, but Colt just announced they will be producing the Mustang Pocketlite .380 again.

I've had a Bersa for a few years and it is my most carried weapon. Easy to conceal, accurate and not too small.

Bought the Bersa Thunder .380 for my wife along with a Kahr CW45 as my main carry. I took both to the range today for the first time and I must say that I absolutely loved shooting the .380!! (the Kahr was nice too but after putting a box of 230 grain through a 19oz pistol it was a nice change)..... I bought a Galco IWB holster for the 380 just in case I wanted to carry it sometime:laugh: Anyway, after doing quite a bit of research you simply cannot beat the quality for under $300. Great pistol...go getcha one!

Just sold my Bersa Thunder .380 Lots of rounds never a problem. ,Concealed carry also a good choice. :pleasantry:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back