Looking for 1st Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you couldn't possibly be here for reasoned discussion of the Second Amendment or reputable information about firearms and legal carry. And you're certainly not here for Spiritual edification
:sarcastic:

First,of all, sir, maybe you haven't noticed it, but you are RUDE. It wasn't what you said which I found offensive, pertaining to ballistic data, it was the way you said it.

And you're right back into it, "most people can handle service caliber handguns after proper training and practice." Well, I've had some experience with women at the range,

and they don't want to "handle service caliber handguns" . In fact, once they determine they have found a handgun which will do, they may never shoot it again, let alone get

'proper training and practice' . Is this the same folks who won't pony up 25$ to join the NRA(no offense) whom you are expecting to spend money paying for training, and

going to the range? These women aren't you or I, and shooting, in general, is not a major part of their lives.

Second, these are women, seeking alternatives to "service caliber handguns", obviously.

But's that's OK, I'm sure they don't mind if you not so subtly infer that they have some

serious medical condition, if they can't suck it up, and take it like a man. I know I sure don't.

As to the bulk, of a FN5.7, it weighs 26 ounces, loaded. So, if bulk is not a problem, weight certainly is not.

Not that I really care what you think of the platform, but, if they see one, they can surely decide

if it is too big, or if it will work OK, for themselves. Maybe they would prefer choices, rather than being told what

they need, and having their options taken away.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these folks here would like to be given selections , which they can sort out for themselves.

Now, the OP specifically requested information about 22mags.

I guess you got really butthurt when I told you that your FN5.7 doesn't have rifle ballistics. Now you are twisting my statements into falsehoods in order to come up with some confrontational arguments. Good luck with that.

Hi,
I wanted to give a little update on what I finally chose for a gun, in case anyone else is facing this same issue.
I bought a Ruger LCR 22LR revolver and I love it! I went to a local shop and bought this item used, in like-new condition.
I took a lot your suggestions such as going to the range; testing other guns, talking to others and doing lots of research.
I've had practical, hands-on training that has helped me tremendously and now have a resource for extra training tips.
I am definitely considering the 22 mag down the road.
I just want to say "Thanks" to all of you.

You appear to have done everything right.

It is good that you found a handgun that you like.

Now you should go to your local indoor range and get some professional instruction.

After a few such coaching sessions, you should then start going on your own and practice what you have been taught.

There is a lot to learn:

1 - how to draw
2 - how to grip
3 - how to stand, assuming you have time to position yourself
4 - how to aim
5 - how to shoot
6 - how to shoot again
7 - with a 22 you will probably need to practice shooting 5 times in a row -- this is a really lite caliber
8 - post-shooting procedures
9 - reporting procedures (always carry your permit and your cell phone with you)
10 - what to expect after shooting someone in self defense.

A .22 is not much good for personal protection. Little stopping power. And, you need to stop an attacker or they will keep on coming, don't you know?

More important is that she is comfortable with this handgun.

I too would recommend something bigger, but obviously she is not ready for anything bigger yet. Otherwise she would have chosen a 380 or a 9x19.

You can kill someone with your 22 but you need to shoot them about 5 or more times.

Not wanting to get between you guys battling out stuff but as being one of those "women at the range" I wanted to give my perspective.

I, too, have had some experience with women at the range, and many of them are my friends. My first experience was at a gun range on a Navy base where I was stationed in the early '70's. It was my very first experience even touching a gun. (Growing up, my family wasn't anti-gun; I just had no exposure). Guess what we fired at the range? "Service caliber handguns." We didn't have a choice--it was what the range provided for our voluntary handgun qualification class. At the end of the class I earned my Expert Pistol ribbon. Shooting wasn't "a major part" of my life but I enjoyed it. As an E-3 (at that time) living in the barracks I couldn't afford to buy a gun, so whenever I could shoot at the range for fun I borrowed one of those "service caliber handguns."

As far as paying for training in the civilian world, I know women who are more conscientious about getting training and practice then some men. In fact, women are more likely to recognize the fact that they need training then men are. Our local range/gun shop offers weekly "Ladies Night" training classes. Obviously, these are only introductory classes but they provide more instruction than some guys never get because they don't "need" it. That class is always full, week after week.

Not just women, and not all women, obviously.

When I was young and healthy, I could handle any kind of handgun, yet I had my preferences. Now, I do have a "serious medical condition" on top of being a lot older. My condition does affect my choice of weapon. That's just a fact of life, not an insult. I physically can't do some things anymore, and it has nothing to do with not being able to "suck it up." I've had to make changes in what I shoot, oh, well.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth as a woman who's been there, done that. We women can speak/post for ourselves, thank you. :)

The only time I had to live in a barracks was during officer boot camp at Quantico VA. Most of you know where that is from the FBI shows on TV. the FBI building is on the far west side of the base. The officer boot camp is all the way to the south next to the Potomac River. They have since torn those barracks down and replaced them with a modern high rise which is like a co-ed dorm for the officer candidates now.

3 Latino candidates were giving me a hard time back then for giving them a hard time about something I cannot recall any longer -- maybe because their posture was so crappy or they could not march very well. So I sharpened my Korean War vintage bayonet on the cement with some oil as a whetstone then slept with it under my pillow. First chance I got, I broke one of their arms during pugil stick competition. And I told the other 2 I would break their arms next if they did not keep their distance. They kept their distance from then on.

I never needed a handgun in the barracks. We kept our M-14's locked up in our wall lockers and we were not allowed to bring ammo back from the range. The penalty for violation was expulsion so nobody risked it. The M-14 was all that we learned how to shoot in the officer boot camp program which lasted 12 weeks.

In advanced infantry school we finally met the Springfield Armory 1911A1 pistol. I fell in love with mine from the start.

Got a new one issued to me at Pendleton several months later. Wore it every day whenever I stood duty as the O/D for the Colonel.

Wore it anytime we went to the field for training, and kept it loaded and locked.

There is not a finer handgun made than the 1911A1. But it is more gun than many folks can handle.

The 9x19 Luger's are a bit easier to handle.

I have found there is no benefit in decreased recoil to the 380's at all. They are smaller but the recoil is as bad or worse than with the 9x19's.

One of the fair ladies that I dated (long ago) preferred the 38 special revolver. Semi auto's can be tricky and she thought the revolver design was easier to comprehend and handle.

I can see where a 22 revolver would be most comfortable for a new shooter. I would recommend a lot of shooting, until that person could move up to a 9x19.

Any gun is better than no gun.

A 9x19 is better than most guns.

A 45ACP is superior to most all guns for self defense. But not everyone can handle one.

I liked your story @reba so I gave you one of my own.

Thank you for your service to our Nation.

Semper Fi.

The only time I had to live in a barracks was during officer boot camp at Quantico VA. Most of you know where that is from the FBI shows on TV. the FBI building is on the far west side of the base. The officer boot camp is all the way to the south next to the Potomac River. They have since torn those barracks down and replaced them with a modern high rise which is like a co-ed dorm for the officer candidates now.

3 Latino candidates were giving me a hard time back them for giving them a hard time about something I cannot recall any longer -- maybe because their posture was so crappy or they could not march very well. So I sharpened my Korean War vintage bayonet on the cement with some oil as a whetstone then slept with it under my pillow. First chance I got, I broke one of their arms during pugil stick competition. And I told the other 2 I would break their arms next if they did not keep their distance. They kept their distance from them on.

I never needed a handgun in the barracks. We kept our M-14's locked up in our wall lockers and we were not allowed to bring ammo back from the range. The penalty for violation was expulsion so nobody risked it. The M-14 was all that we learned how to shoot in the officer boot camp program which lasted 12 weeks.

In advanced infantry school we finally met the Springfield Armory 1911A1 pistol. I fell in love with mine from the start.

Got a new one issued to me at Pendleton several months later. Wore it every day whenever I stood duty as the O/D for the Colonel.

Wore it anytime we went to the field for training, and kept it loaded and locked.

There is not a finer handgun made than the 1911A1. But it is more gun than many folks can handle.

The 9x19 Luger's are a bit easier to handle.

I have found there is no benefit in decreased recoil to the 380's at all. They are smaller but the recoil is as bad or worse than with the 9x19's.

One of the fair ladies that I dated (long ago) preferred the 38 special revolver. Semi auto's can be tricky and she thought the revolver design was easier to comprehend and handle.

I can see where a 22 revolver would be most comfortable for a new shooter. I would recommend a lot of shooting, until that person could move up to a 9x19.

Any gun is better than no gun.

A 9x19 is better than most guns.

A 45ACP is superior to most all guns for self defense. But not everyone can handle one.

I liked your story @reba so I gave you one of my own.

Thank you for your service to our Nation.

Semper Fi.

Thanks for your story. :)

My boot camp was at Bainbridge, MD. Long gone, ancient history, ha, ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back