Looking for 1st Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
A .22 is not much good for personal protection. Little stopping power. And, you need to stop an attacker or they will keep on coming, don't you know?

True for either people strung out on drugs, or if the attack is personal, but the average thug wanting to mug you at the ATM is going to soil his shorts and turn to run the second he realizes he has been shot, or even shot at.

i am a big fan of the small frame .38 as a first. lots of ammo choices and not bad stopping power. I am sure any gun range will be more than happy to help with the choice

I have a Ruger R22, and I like it. It is so much more accurate than the LCP, 45's and 9mm's my husband and I have.

Have you received any formal firearms training by a professional instructor? That may help. After all, I do not automatically become Mozart by buying a piano and then blame my incoherent "music" on the piano.

Unless you have a medical condition that hinders you from shooting larger calibers, you should have no problem with shooting larger calibers fast and accurate. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time for the needed training and practice.

The Ruger SR-22 shoots .22lr. .22lr is notorious for misfires. I don't recommend the Ruger SR-22 at all as a carry gun for that reason. I do recommend a .22 Magnum revolver as a last resort.

I use my Ruger SR-22 to introduce new shooters to firearms, as they can learn the operation of a firearm and get their first shots down range without worrying about recoil. Once they have learned how to properly hold and operate the pistol, I move on with them to the 9mm Glock 19.

i am a big fan of the small frame .38 as a first. lots of ammo choices and not bad stopping power. I am sure any gun range will be more than happy to help with the choice

A small frame .357 Magnum that one shoots .38 Special +P out of is even better. Small frame .357 Magnum tend to be better build and heaver, taming the recoil better.

Have you received any formal firearms training by a professional instructor? That may help. After all, I do not automatically become Mozart by buying a piano and then blame my incoherent "music" on the piano.

Unless you have a medical condition that hinders you from shooting larger calibers, you should have no problem with shooting larger calibers fast and accurate. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time for the needed training and practice.

The Ruger SR-22 shoots .22lr. .22lr is notorious for misfires. I don't recommend the Ruger SR-22 at all as a carry gun for that reason. I do recommend a .22 Magnum revolver as a last resort.

I use my Ruger SR-22 to introduce new shooters to firearms, as they can learn the operation of a firearm and get their first shots down range without worrying about recoil. Once they have learned how to properly hold and operate the pistol, I move on with them to the 9mm Glock 19.

Yes, I have, military and civilian training. I also have Renaud's Syndrome. It's a circulatory problem that makes my fingers weak when it's cold. However, even when it's warm, I prefer my Ruger. I also like my Taurus Judge, but it is too big for everyday carry.

Looking for 1st Gun Update

Hi,
I wanted to give a little update on what I finally chose for a gun, in case anyone else is facing this same issue.
I bought a Ruger LCR 22LR revolver and I love it! I went to a local shop and bought this item used, in like-new condition.
I took a lot your suggestions such as going to the range; testing other guns, talking to others and doing lots of research.
I've had practical, hands-on training that has helped me tremendously and now have a resource for extra training tips.
I am definitely considering the 22 mag down the road.
I just want to say "Thanks" to all of you.

Let's look at another approach, OP.

There's a couple of GREAT 22 MAG pistols.

There's the Kel-Tec PMR 30, the new ones are

pretty dependable. 22WMR is punchy, for it's size,

and the PMR 30 holds 30 rounds. Look at reviews of the

NEW ones, not people still whining about the older models.

Then there's about the best defense you can get, the

FN Five seveN. It's .224, same diameter as .223 caliber,

and factory ammo gives you rifle ballistics. Muzzle velocity

of 2063 FPS, and controllable recoil, 20 round mags,

all from the guys who brought you the original Nato Browning.

Let's look at another approach, OP.

There's a couple of GREAT 22 MAG pistols.

There's the Kel-Tec PMR 30, the new ones are

pretty dependable. 22WMR is punchy, for it's size,

and the PMR 30 holds 30 rounds. Look at reviews of the

NEW ones, not people still whining about the older models.

Then there's about the best defense you can get, the

FN Five seveN. It's .224, same diameter as .223 caliber,

and factory ammo gives you rifle ballistics. Muzzle velocity

of 2063 FPS, and controllable recoil, 20 round mags,

all from the guys who brought you the original Nato Browning.

More of this FN Five-seveN BS. You will not get 2063 fps out of the FN Five-seveN pistol. You will not get rifle ballistics out of this pistol. It is an urban myth perpetrated by those who have no clue what they are talking about. The FN Five-seveN pistol is slightly more powerful than a .22 WMR. As I posted in the other thread, where you posted the same nonsense:

What great power do you speak of? The muzzle velocity you use is out of a P90 with a 10.4 in barrel. The FN Five-seven has a 4.8 in barrel where muzzle velocity is somewhere between 1600 and 1700 fps. 5.7x28mm fired out of a pistol is a glorified .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (5.7x28mm "Cop Killer" Cartridge Myth).

OH, ONLY 1600 FPS! Well, I'm so sorry, if it's ONLY 1600 FPS.

My word, that's HORRID performance, you're so right.

Well, DON'T STOP NOW, you're on a roll. Be sure to say something

crappy about the PMR 30, too.

OH, ONLY 1600 FPS! Well, I'm so sorry, if it's ONLY 1600 FPS.

My word, that's HORRID performance, you're so right.

Well, DON'T STOP NOW, you're on a roll. Be sure to say something

crappy about the PMR 30, too.

I guess you didn't watch

the video, I posted.

Ignorance is bliss.

Yes, I have something bad

to say about the PMR 30.

A rimfire round does not

belong in a self defensive

semi-automatic handgun,

but in a revolver.

FYI:

PMR 30 = 40 gr .22 WMR at 1200 ft/s = 127 ft/lbs of energy.

FN Five-seveN = 40 gr 5.7x28mm at 1655 fps = 243 ft/lbs of energy.

Glock 19 9mm = 124 gr 9mm at 1150 fps = 364 ft/lbs of energy.

AR 15 = 55 gr 5.56x45 at 3098 fps = 1172 ft/lbs of energy.

AR 10 = 147 gr .308 at 2660 fps = 2310 ft/lbs of energy.

But, yeah, keep dreaming that your

FN Five-seveN has rifle ballistics and

that your PMR 30 is somehow any

good.

And in "Women in Guns", and the topic "Looking for a first gun" you ignore completely the lighter recoil

of the 22 mag possibilities, as well as any other positive attributes the firearms offer to first time

shooters and buyers.

Not to mention the fact that you're posting all your mean-spirited negativity in the women's forums.

I have to wonder what the mods think of what they are reading here.

PM this guy, pronto, ladies, I'm sure he has a lot of potential...

And in "Women in Guns", and the topic "Looking for a first gun" you ignore completely the lighter recoil

of the 22 mag possibilities, as well as any other positive attributes the firearms offer to first time

shooters and buyers.

Not to mention the fact that you're posting all your mean-spirited negativity in the women's forums.

I have to wonder what the mods think of what they are reading here.

PM this guy, pronto, ladies, I'm sure he has a lot of potential...

Right, now I am misogynistic, because I call out the BS you posted. You might want to read my post #2 in this thread, where clearly I stated:

Now, if you simply can not handle a service-caliber semi-automatic handgun, such as due to a disability, then the .22 Magnum revolver is certainly better.

Feel free to report my post to the forum owner. There is a report link/icon at the bottom of each post in the form of a warning sign. I am sure the forum owner will get a laugh out of this one.

"such as due to a disability"?

Yeah, you're just a sensitive new-age man.

I offered up two clear options to heavier recoil,

and have a positive message. Both the PMR30 and FN 5.7 are lightweight, and carry

a fair volume of follow up shots, as well as offering a full-size pistol sight radius.

I didn't say you were misogynistic, either. But I'll leave that for the ladies to decide.

If I had to call it, I'd say you're anti-social, with a serious inferiority complex, but

that's really none of my concern, considering the topic at hand..

"such as due to a disability"?

Yeah, you're just a sensitive new-age man.

I offered up two clear options to heavier recoil,

and have a positive message. Both the PMR30 and FN 5.7 are lightweight, and carry

a fair volume of follow up shots, as well as offering a full-size pistol sight radius.

I didn't say you were misogynistic, either. But I'll leave that for the ladies to decide.

If I had to call it, I'd say you're anti-social, with a serious inferiority complex, but

that's really none of my concern, considering the topic at hand..

I guess you are the one with serious problems here. All I responded to was your BS post on the FN Five-seveN pistol having rifle ballistics. Again, here is the data that your post was and still is 100% BS:

PMR 30 = 40 gr .22 WMR at 1200 ft/s = 127 ft/lbs of energy.
FN Five-seveN = 40 gr 5.7x28mm at 1655 fps = 243 ft/lbs of energy.
Glock 19 9mm = 124 gr 9mm at 1150 fps = 364 ft/lbs of energy.
AR 15 = 55 gr 5.56x45 at 3098 fps = 1172 ft/lbs of energy.
AR 10 = 147 gr .308 at 2660 fps = 2310 ft/lbs of energy.

After I called you out, you started with personal attacks and insults, because that certainly makes your argument valid. :lol:

As for low-recoil handguns, most people can handle service caliber handguns after proper training and practice. The view that women are somehow weak and should stick with low-recoil handguns is outright stupid. I know plenty of woman shooters that carry service caliber handguns. I know a few that carry a .22 WMR revolver, most have medical problems, such as arthritis.

As for the FN Five-seveN, the most common complaint is that it is too big. If it is too big, it stays home and is not being carried. If one feels comfortable carrying it, then I have no problem with it. Just don't buy into the myth that this handgun has rifle ballistics. That's all I was saying. If you lose your temper over that, then this is your problem.

As for the PMR 30, I have the same complaint as with the Ruger SR-22. A rimfire round does not belong into a self defensive semi-automatic. There are too many reliability issues associated with that concept. That's why I am recommending a revolver for such cartridge.

Um, women don't come to this forum looking for dates or mates.

Just sayin'.

:lol:

Well, you couldn't possibly be here for reasoned discussion of the Second Amendment or reputable information about firearms and legal carry. And you're certainly not here for Spiritual edification

As for low-recoil handguns, most people can handle service caliber handguns after proper training and practice. The view that women are somehow weak and should stick with low-recoil handguns is outright stupid. I know plenty of woman shooters that carry service caliber handguns. I know a few that carry a .22 WMR revolver, most have medical problems, such as arthritis.

As for the FN Five-seveN, the most common complaint is that it is too big. If it is too big, it stays home and is not being carried. If one feels comfortable carrying it, then I have no problem with it. Just don't buy into the myth that this handgun has rifle ballistics. That's all I was saying. If you lose your temper over that, then this is your problem.

As for the PMR 30, I have the same complaint as with the Ruger SR-22. A rimfire round does not belong into a self defensive semi-automatic. There are too many reliability issues associated with that concept. That's why I am recommending a revolver for such cartridge.

First,of all, sir, maybe you haven't noticed it, but you are RUDE. It wasn't what you said which I found offensive, pertaining to ballistic data, it was the way you said it.

And you're right back into it, "most people can handle service caliber handguns after proper training and practice." Well, I've had some experience with women at the range,

and they don't want to "handle service caliber handguns" . In fact, once they determine they have found a handgun which will do, they may never shoot it again, let alone get

'proper training and practice' . Is this the same folks who won't pony up 25$ to join the NRA(no offense) whom you are expecting to spend money paying for training, and

going to the range? These women aren't you or I, and shooting, in general, is not a major part of their lives.

Second, these are women, seeking alternatives to "service caliber handguns", obviously.

But's that's OK, I'm sure they don't mind if you not so subtly infer that they have some

serious medical condition, if they can't suck it up, and take it like a man. I know I sure don't.

As to the bulk, of a FN5.7, it weighs 26 ounces, loaded. So, if bulk is not a problem, weight certainly is not.

Not that I really care what you think of the platform, but, if they see one, they can surely decide

if it is too big, or if it will work OK, for themselves. Maybe they would prefer choices, rather than being told what

they need, and having their options taken away.

Maybe, just maybe, some of these folks here would like to be given selections , which they can sort out for themselves.

Now, the OP specifically requested information about 22mags.

First,of all, sir, maybe you haven't noticed it, but you are RUDE. It wasn't what you said which I found offensive, pertaining to ballistic data, it was the way you said it.

And you're right back into it, "most people can handle service caliber handguns after proper training and practice." Well, I've had some experience with women at the range, and they don't want to "handle service caliber handguns" . In fact, once they determine they have found a handgun which will do, they may never shoot it again, let alone get 'proper training and practice' . Is this the same folks who won't pony up 25$ to join the NRA(no offense) whom you are expecting to spend money paying for training, and going to the range? These women aren't you or I, and shooting, in general, is not a major part of their lives.
Not wanting to get between you guys battling out stuff but as being one of those "women at the range" I wanted to give my perspective.

I, too, have had some experience with women at the range, and many of them are my friends. My first experience was at a gun range on a Navy base where I was stationed in the early '70's. It was my very first experience even touching a gun. (Growing up, my family wasn't anti-gun; I just had no exposure). Guess what we fired at the range? "Service caliber handguns." We didn't have a choice--it was what the range provided for our voluntary handgun qualification class. At the end of the class I earned my Expert Pistol ribbon. Shooting wasn't "a major part" of my life but I enjoyed it. As an E-3 (at that time) living in the barracks I couldn't afford to buy a gun, so whenever I could shoot at the range for fun I borrowed one of those "service caliber handguns."

As far as paying for training in the civilian world, I know women who are more conscientious about getting training and practice then some men. In fact, women are more likely to recognize the fact that they need training then men are. Our local range/gun shop offers weekly "Ladies Night" training classes. Obviously, these are only introductory classes but they provide more instruction than some guys never get because they don't "need" it. That class is always full, week after week.

Second, these are women, seeking alternatives to "service caliber handguns", obviously.
Not just women, and not all women, obviously.

But's that's OK, I'm sure they don't mind if you not so subtly infer that they have some serious medical condition, if they can't suck it up, and take it like a man. I know I sure don't.
When I was young and healthy, I could handle any kind of handgun, yet I had my preferences. Now, I do have a "serious medical condition" on top of being a lot older. My condition does affect my choice of weapon. That's just a fact of life, not an insult. I physically can't do some things anymore, and it has nothing to do with not being able to "suck it up." I've had to make changes in what I shoot, oh, well.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth as a woman who's been there, done that. We women can speak/post for ourselves, thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back