Looking at a new gun and want some feedback...

TCB2Country

Looking at getting a new gun and have narrowed it down to about 10 options. I have looked up every pro review on all of these but I trust you guys and wanted some feedback from you especially if you own one or more of these guns. Now my intentions for the gun are multifaceted it will be a carry option and home defense as well as fun at the range as are all of my guns. Currently my EDC is a 1911 commander 45 ACP so size and weight aren't really an issue for carrying, I live in an open carry state and both open and conceal carry and I make my own holsters so accessory availability isn't an issue either and for these reasons it's been hard for me to narrow down. I would like to keep it under $600 and I would like a 9mm as I don't currently own one. I would like a rail but it's not a deal breaker. Also not a deal breaker but I do prefer DA/SA however I have owned striker fired firearms before and am not opposed. And on that note, I would like a great trigger of course but I have owned the Sigma so I don't mind a less than stellar trigger and do a lot of my own smithing as I am a machinist and have built a few guns myself so if that takes a little work I don't mind. So here it goes...

Glock (26 possibly) have never owned a Glock and would like to one day,
CZ P07 Duty Again never owned a CZ and have always heard great things about them
Berreta PX4 Storm Sub-Compact 9mm
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II 9mm
Springfield XD9801HCSP06 9mm
Springfield XDM 9mm
Tisas Zigana Sport (was kinda leary of an unknown brand but have read reviews and watched videos and have kinda fallen in love with this one although it is HUGE)
Canik Stingray CZ clone with great reviews
FN FNX-9
CZ 75 P-01
S&W M&P 9 compact
Honorable mention
Wather PPQ but this one is a little steep and on the higher end of my price range.

And if there are any other suggestions I am very open to something I might not have thought of or considered so far but this list is after a lot of deliberation... of course one day I would love to own all of them but one at a time and all are viable options. I would love to hear any positive or negative feedback that you may have from hands on experience with any of the guns... Thank you guys so much for your help! You guys are awesome!

I have a Canik Stingray (Chrome). Really nice looking gun. Accurate, haven't found any ammo it doesn't like to eat. It came with two 13 round magazines. Magazines from CZ 75 compact, will fit with a little filing on the base plate. Without filing, the CZ mags don't go in far enough to lock in.
Only drawback to CC is it's weight. Slightly over 2 lbs.

Other candidates for your list, might be a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9MM (DA/SA) or Taurus PT809 compact 9MM (DA/SA). I have the Bersa in both 380 and 9MM.

If you're not in a big hurry, maybe, you should wait and look at Remington R-51. New for 2014, it's supposed to be available in February. Reviews have been good. This one is SA (internal hammer).

All I can say is that I've been really happy with my XD9 and you're looking at the M model which theoretically should be a notch above mine. I'm on the waiting list for a Glock 30S since like you, I have never owned one. I've shot my buddy's two 9mm Glocks and like them very much. Smith M&P's have a good reputation but mine is only a 22LR so, no comparison. I've never found the one "do all" gun, thank goodness, so I can continue my quest and add to the collection. It's really a subjective thing. Most of my friends switch between maybe a 9mm, a .45 or some days, a .380. No real rhyme or reason they (and I) just do.

I haven't tried many on your list, but I can say my tiny hands do not like the Glocks. Beyond that, great gun. I've tried the full size M&P 9mm and the M&P Shield 9mm, and loved them both. I like the trigger a lot, and even the Shield is not as snappy as I'd expected. I imagine the compact would be just as fun to shoot. I tried the XDs in 9mm, and it was a toss up with the Shield (I'd have to replace the grips though), but the Shield was available and the XDs was not in any store I could find.

Not that this helps a whole lot, but it might give you some ideas.

If you're not in a big hurry, maybe, you should wait and look at Remington R-51. New for 2014, it's supposed to be available in February. Reviews have been good. This one is SA (internal hammer).

Yow! Thanks for posting that. I didn't know they were putting out a modern model 51. I'll be very eager to see one and see how similar they are in function to the old 51 (hopefully not too similar - the old ones had a breech block that'd crack under the stress of modern +P loads).

I also have not tried most of the ones in your list, but, I just bought a Beretta PX4 Compact in 9mm and love it. It fits my hand and the recoil is almost non-existent. Got it for $499 from Buds with (2) 15 round magazines and speed loader and cleaning kit. For me, it is the gun that was made for me.

Yes, that's what I'm looking for as this gun really doesn't have a super specific purpose reliability is most important and capacity for its size is also key... These replies are exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Link Removed

I'm a newbie to guns. Have had my TX CHL for almost a year and my first firearm just over one year. From your list I would go with FNX , CZ P07, M&P Shield, and Beretta PX4 Storm. As my next purchase I have been leaning towards the FNX. Glocks just don't feel right to me, I dint doubt their reliability. SA's I just can't seem to get enthusiastic about them?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Kennydale that's exactly how I feel, I've owned striker fired weapons and have no problem trusting them but most of my training and experience is with 1911s and I would love another striker fired weapon one day but I just feel like the DA/SA option is a better fit for me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Link Removed

Looking at getting a new gun and have narrowed it down to about 10 options. I have looked up every pro review on all of these but I trust you guys and wanted some feedback from you especially if you own one or more of these guns. Now my intentions for the gun are multifaceted it will be a carry option and home defense as well as fun at the range as are all of my guns. Currently my EDC is a 1911 commander 45 ACP so size and weight aren't really an issue for carrying, I live in an open carry state and both open and conceal carry and I make my own holsters so accessory availability isn't an issue either and for these reasons it's been hard for me to narrow down. I would like to keep it under $600 and I would like a 9mm as I don't currently own one. I would like a rail but it's not a deal breaker. Also not a deal breaker but I do prefer DA/SA however I have owned striker fired firearms before and am not opposed. And on that note, I would like a great trigger of course but I have owned the Sigma so I don't mind a less than stellar trigger and do a lot of my own smithing as I am a machinist and have built a few guns myself so if that takes a little work I don't mind. So here it goes...

CZ P07 Duty Again never owned a CZ and have always heard great things about them
Springfield XDM 9mm
Tisas Zigana Sport (was kinda leary of an unknown brand but have read reviews and watched videos and have kinda fallen in love with this one although it is HUGE)
FN FNX-9
CZ 75 P-01
S&W M&P 9 compact
Honorable mention
Wather PPQ but this one is a little steep and on the higher end of my price range.

And if there are any other suggestions I am very open to something I might not have thought of or considered so far but this list is after a lot of deliberation... of course one day I would love to own all of them but one at a time and all are viable options. I would love to hear any positive or negative feedback that you may have from hands on experience with any of the guns... Thank you guys so much for your help! You guys are awesome!

I would say that they are all good choices excepting the baby eagle, canik stingray and tisas zigana. if you like the FNX look for an FNS and the PPQ is a top notch choice while the S&Ws and CZ wouldn't be near the top of my list

Springfield XDM 9mm
FN FNX-9
CZ 75 P-01
S&W M&P 9 compact
Honorable mention

1. FNX9
2. Baby Eagle (if weight truly isn't a problem)
3. CZ PO7
4. CZ 75
5. XDm
6. M&P

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I have a 10mm Glock and love it. As far as your list goes the XD's are magnificent! I have an XD subcompact .40 and carry it every day. I fired the 9mm version as well and was equally impressed. I just prefer the .40 S&W

Buddy, if you really want a treat, go test fire a Ruger SR series. Either a SR9 or SR9C the 9MM rimfire or it's baby brother for concealed carry. The also come in a .40 cal. The SR40 for something a little heavier duty. The quality semi-auto pistols are made right here in Arizona by Americans. Most of the guns you listed are made in Eastern Europe or South America. Buy American and be proud of yourself and America. Nobody in Eastern Europe or South America gives a damn about you, only you money.

Most of the guns you listed are made in Eastern Europe or South America. Buy American and be proud of yourself and America. Nobody in Eastern Europe or South America gives a damn about you, only you money.

what a load of pyscho babble, if you want to buy american that's great but your reasons are not all that well thought out, my glock was made in GA and my sig was made in NH

I own a glock 26 and the fnx-9. Love them both. The fn is very very accurate and i honestly think it shoots better groups than all my other polymer framed guns. Only downside with the fn is replacement parts are alittle tougher to get. Good luck with your next purchase.

Well as my first post here, I will say that I own an assortment of pistols but not one 1911 so maybe I don't count as a shooter :), however I do have a zigana sport, a canik shark fc, a glock 23, a steyr m40-a1 and find that while the full sized framed guns are harder to conceal obviously and parts might be an issue if something breaks, I have to say that my Canik and Tisas eat anything and punch holes better than my plastic guns. To each their own but I hope that in the event of an issue, Buds stands behind their warranty of the Turkish pistols. I absolutely love mine and do carry them concealed in the winter. Heavy but you get use to it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back