Long wait

shovelheaddred

I was wondering ,I bought a supperssor and sent in all the paperwork . The BATF recived the paperwork on 29 Jan and still haven't herd anything . Is this average or is this taking to long ?

I was wondering ,I bought a supperssor and sent in all the paperwork . The BATF recived the paperwork on 29 Jan and still haven't herd anything . Is this average or is this taking to long ?

From what I have been told it takes anywhere from three to six months for the paper work to be done.

Here is a two part answer: First part is from the BATFE web-site which states: National Firearms Act (NFA) — Processing Times
1.How long does it take for ATF to process my NFA application?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: How long does it take for ATF to process my NFA application?

Currently, ATF’s customer service goal is to process an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (Form 1) and an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm (Form 4) within 4 months of ATF’s receipt of the application.

The processing time for NFA applications varies depending on the type of application submitted. Certain applications require the processing of making or transfer taxes while others are tax-exempt. Some applications require the prospective transferee to pass Federal background checks based on both name and fingerprints while transferees such as law enforcement agencies or foreign military agencies are exempt from background checks. ATF also must ensure that a proposed transfer would not violate State or local law in the transferee’s place of residence. The time needed to research and verify State and local requirements can vary greatly depending on the legal complexity of laws governing the type of firearm sought or the business structure and status of applicants other than individuals.

In addition, the sheer volume of applications submitted for ATF review has dramatically increased in recent years. In fiscal year 2005, for example, ATF processed 41,579 NFA applications of all types. By FY 2009 that number had more than doubled to 86,753, without an increase in the number of NFA examiners available to process the work. Through the first half of FY 2010, ATF was on pace to break 2009’s record number of applications and was operating with roughly the same size staff that it had in 2005.

Currently, ATF’s customer service goal is to process an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (Form 1) and an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm (Form 4) within 4 months of ATF’s receipt of the application. The customer service standard for processing all other types of NFA applications (i.e., those which don’t generally require tax processing or background checks) is within one month of ATF’s receipt of the application. It is important to keep in mind that incomplete or incorrect applications slow ATF’s ability to take final action. If you wish to confirm receipt of an application by ATF or obtain a status check on a pending application, you should call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500. It will help the NFA Branch locate your application more quickly if you have the serial number of the firearm sought for transfer and the name of the prospective transferee.

Here is the second part: See, and I recommend that you download the spreadsheet, at www.nfatracker.com

Find the reports tab along the top of the web-site and when you click on it you will see a series of tables that will show you the current processing times by number of days; by Form type (Form 1 or Form 4); by item type (Suppressor, SBR, SBS, destructive Device, or AOW); and by examiner.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back