Long Story, looking for answers/advise

nukesdg

So here I am 1500 miles from home carrying w/permit, of course!
(Drove here for work)
Issues:
1-gun problem, S&W 4506 looks like damaged bushing
1a-no one want to look at it
2-S&W said ship it to them UPS or FEDEX
2a-No one will ship it
3-No back-up (should be #1)
3a-can't buy handgun out of state
4-could fly home get back-up and fly back
4a-what are flying rules, what if flight has lay-over for a couple of hours in non-permit state

Any insight would be great!!!!

sdg

1. Get newspaper
2. look in classified ads
3. find "guns for sale" ads
4. select gun, call owner, buy gun
5. Have a nice day.

So here I am 1500 miles from home carrying w/permit, of course!
(Drove here for work)
Issues:
1-gun problem, S&W 4506 looks like damaged bushing
1a-no one want to look at it
2-S&W said ship it to them UPS or FEDEX
2a-No one will ship it
3-No back-up (should be #1)
3a-can't buy handgun out of state
4-could fly home get back-up and fly back
4a-what are flying rules, what if flight has lay-over for a couple of hours in non-permit state

Any insight would be great!!!!

sdg

2a - you have to go to an actual UPS or FEDEX shipping location. Not a storefront. Both UPS and FEDEX will ship handguns to FFLs (manufacturers are FFL holders).

4a - gun unloaded in a hard sided gun case locked with non-TSA locks that only you keep the key/combo to. The hard sided gun case can go in luggage and you can lock the luggage with a TSA lock if you desire. Go to the airline baggage counter and tell the agent that you have an unloaded gun in your luggage to declare. They may or may not ask you to show them that the gun is unloaded. They will give you a declaration tag to sign. If the gun case is inside luggage, the tag goes inside the luggage near the locked gun case. If the gun case is checked by itself, the declaration tag will go inside the gun case. They will tell you how to get your gun case to TSA for a little extra screening. At most 1/2 hour extra, you checked luggage with the unloaded gun is on it's way to the aircraft and then the carousel at your destination just like every other piece of luggage.

During a layover in an unfriendly state, under normal circumstances your luggage will just be transferred by the airlines. If not, ask the airline to hold on to your the luggage with the gun and transfer it to your next for you.

If it's really that important to you, fly home, pick up a BUG and fly back. I'm not sure what you do for a living and whether it's worth the cost or not to fly back home (or how long you'll be down there), but personally I'd most likely send it to S&W and just carry on if you'll only be gone for a week.

Where are you? Possibly someone knows a gunsmith nearby who'd look at it or we could try to find one online for you.

Thanks for all the info & advice!
I was able to find a gun store that would look at it and ship to S&W (they told different story of what was legal)
I was later told, as someone wrote, that you need to go to a UPS/FEDEX distribution center: heartbrun was that no one was very helpful!
Not sure how /why bushing got damaged, thought it was just gunk from shooting but closer check it looked like heat damage
I'm consulting on several projects that will keep me in this area for several more months, I get paid to fly home but have never needed to bring gun with me, i.e. drive to job from home with gun, fly home have back-up there
Other than the buying a gun from a personal add, which as noted is not 100% legal, I beleive that although it's a private sale you are required to know that they are a resident of said state. Am I correct that you can not buy a handgun in any state other than your home? Yes you can buy and have shipped to FFL in home state
So thanks again, it's hard to find help and I talked with several people all given different requirements, even the gun shops were less than helpful and had issue with out of state ID although I have non-resident carry permit!
sdg

I'm consulting on several projects that will keep me in this area for several more months

You are, more than likely, a legal resident of that state for the months that you are working there...unless it is a company from your "home" state that is paying you to travel.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back