Long gun delivery in CA

RJN

I'm purchasing a rifle in Utah & I live in CA. Can I go to Utah and pick up the gun in person or must the seller ship to a CA FFL???? I have a CA CCW if that helps. Any input??

You cannot legally take possession of the rifle in Utah because you are a California resident. The rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer in California where you will DROS it and wait your 10 days. I've been told it's best to arrange with a dealer before you leave for Utah. Ask your dealer for details because there's a new hoop the CABOF (CADOJ?) makes shippers go through that just began in the last few weeks.

You cannot legally take possession of the rifle in Utah because you are a California resident. The rifle must be shipped to an FFL dealer in California where you will DROS it and wait your 10 days. I've been told it's best to arrange with a dealer before you leave for Utah. Ask your dealer for details because there's a new hoop the CABOF (CADOJ?) makes shippers go through that just began in the last few weeks.

I'm not sure if California has its own law against it, but under federal law, long guns need not be shipped to an FFL in one's home state. Any adult nonfelon can purchase a long gun in any other state, subject to the laws of both states. The requirement to ship to an FFL in the purchaser's home state only applies to handguns. All such purchases can be conducted this way, but only for handguns is it mandatory.

I'm not sure if California has its own law against it, but under federal law, long guns need not be shipped to an FFL in one's home state. Any adult nonfelon can purchase a long gun in any other state, subject to the laws of both states. The requirement to ship to an FFL in the purchaser's home state only applies to handguns. All such purchases can be conducted this way, but only for handguns is it mandatory.

The bold is why a CA resident cannot pick up a long gun. PRK requires state forms and a 10 day waiting period. In addition, a new law in CA requites a state generated number before shipping to a licensed dealer in the state. It only takes a couple of minutes but it's one more hoop those outside CA are reluctant to bother with, making even more people choose to not deal with residents of the state.

Wow! Are you serious? I always believed that among states (note: this does not include D.C. since it is not a state) PRNJ and PRHI were the worst, but in light of the information I just saw, I'm beginning to rethink that.

Wow! Are you serious? I always believed that among states (note: this does not include D.C. since it is not a state) PRNJ and PRHI were the worst, but in light of the information I just saw, I'm beginning to rethink that.

I've always thought that the "worst three" were (in this order) PRCA, PRHI, and PRNJ. I have several friends who come from CA and have told me that the laws here (or at least the way it's implamented) is a lot worse than it is in CA. One example would be having to go to the "main" police station in your respective county to apply for a permit. Depending where you live, it could be over 100 miles from home.

Not sure who has the "worse" laws, but I'll assure you that HI and CA are pretty close. :(

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back