Loading .223 with Varget

KimberPB

When I hand weighed and filed each case 26.5 grains of Varget it fills the case to about the start of the neck. When I'm loading using me lee press and powder pour 26.5 grains of Varget fills the case up into the neck not leaving enough room for the bullet. If I lightly tap the filled case the powder does settle down below the neck. My question is do I have to tap each case to settle the powder or can I just seat the bullet? Thanks guys.

Varget seems to do very well compressed. I run 25 grains in my loads. As long as the bullet isn't backing out from the compression and there are no signs of over-pressure, it should be fine.

I just seat the bullet, but some people use a longer drop tube to compress the charge as it's added to the case.

Varget seems to do very well compressed. I run 25 grains in my loads. As long as the bullet isn't backing out from the compression and there are no signs of over-pressure, it should be fine.

I just seat the bullet, but some people use a longer drop tube to compress the charge as it's added to the case.

Thanks DarrelM5. I just called them also and talked to there reloading department. They said I did not have to worry about tapping the case to settle the powder. Just seat the bullet.

DarrelM5, Thanks for the longer drop tube idea. It got the wheels turning, I started SLOWLY releasing the powder which cause it to settle rather nicely. Leaving more then enough room for the bullet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back