Loaded for Bear

Caribou

I am looking for a 12 Ga slug for bear protection. It will probably go in an 18" pump with a cylinder bore. I have to worry about more than two legged predators. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i would think any slug would work, but this is what i use ( never tested on an animal, but the sales guy said these work very well and even out of a smooth bore) 5rds - 12 Gauge DDupleks 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz Expanding Shotgun Ammo..

ammotogo.com or cheaperthandirt.com ( i got it from cheaper than dirt.)

i would think any slug would work, but this is what i use ( never tested on an animal, but the sales guy said these work very well and even out of a smooth bore) 5rds - 12 Gauge DDupleks 2 3/4" 1 1/8oz Expanding Shotgun Ammo..

ammotogo.com or cheaperthandirt.com ( i got it from cheaper than dirt.)

I've got some of this stuff. For some reason it won't fit in my Mossy 500 but it's fine in my Rem 870. Nasty, nasty stuff.

realy b2tall.... i have a moss 500a and it fits right in.. i have not shot it yet, but it cycles in and out just fine.

Yeah. I have an 8-shot cruiser. When I try to load it the shell stops right at the brass base. Won't go in any further. I can load them singly straight into the chamber but they won't go in the tube. In the 870 they're fine.

Thanks guys, you are right aj's 40 cal any slug will probably suffice. I feel a need for the most expedient round available. I think you have found it. You are right Scotty, it really is nasty. If you have ever seen a bear move then you know how fast they are. I guess no predator ever made a living by being slow. I'll have to pick up some of these.

While they would be better than a sharp stick, I have doubts about the soft lead slugs for bear. I've heard/seen reports of the soft shuttlecock slugs failing to penetrate the heavy shoulder muscle and bone of a large buck. A medium sized bear is much tougher than a big buck pound for pound.One of the controlled expansion or Brenekke type slugs would be my choice. The old BRI thread spool design seems like a good option but I don't think anyone makes them anymore.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back