Live in FL and NJ. Car Travel With Weapon...

SAR in FL

I am a FL resident and posses a Concealed Weapon and Firearm License (CWFL) issued by the State of Florida. I also own a home in NJ and I'll be driving there with my legally purchased (in FL) Ruger LCP. I know my permit is good for me to carry my weapon concealed all the way up through Maryland (with the exception of DC). Once I hit Delaware, it gets unloaded and locked up in the trunk.

My question is NJ. I do not posses the permit to purchase a firearm in NJ yet as I have not been in NJ for the past 6 months. Can I legally bring my weapon to my home and leave it there until I get my NJ purchase permit? I do not intend to apply for my NJ carry permit.

Looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!!!

I never lived in NJ, but my stepfather is a retired NJ State Trooper. Seeing as NJ doesn't honor any other state permit, the only way you can legally have your weapon in your home appears to be to possess a NJ permit. Funny thing is, you can drive through the state legally (following the Federal guidelines for transportation), but apparently not stay in NJ with it.

At least, that's my interpretation...

New Jersey Concealed Carry Permit Information

if you do not have jersey permission, DON'T DO IT!
they will lock you up quick fast and in a hurry, charge you with multiple firearms felonies and YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR RIGHTS!!!

Looking for advice?

Don't go to Jersey. That's the best advice I could give anyone.

Better check your reciprocity states again. Your Florida permit is not honored in Maryland, but it is honored in Delaware (and Pennsylvania).

The other posters are correct that New Jersey is out to screw you. However, if you have a house in New Jersey and are simply transporting your unloaded, legally owned guns in locked cases in the trunk of your car, you should be OK. Of course, that kid from Colorado should have been OK, too.

Not that I ever plan to return to the Soprano State, but I kept my NJ firearms purchaser card just in case, even though it doesn't carry any legal weight.

Incidentally, New Jersey residents need a permit to purchase a gun, not merely to own one. However, the authorities will make your life difficult if you can't show a permit to purchase, especially for a newer handgun.

Thanks for all the responses! I made it to NJ with no problems. Weapon was unloaded and locked in trunk before I got to Maryland (thanks BamaBoy, I got MD and DE confused). Now it's locked in my home and will stay there until I get my Firearm ID Card. Not taking any chances going to the range until I get that ID card.

The laws here are so damn ridiculous!

just curious,do you reside in both NJ and FL? Or are you moving back to NJ after living in Fl?.....If you still reside in both states It should be interesting if NJ will issue a NJ FOID card.

FWIW: I am in the boat as the op except that I do have the NJ firearms ID card, you've been given the best advice about transporting your weapon. the only other concern would be that your gun is NJ compliant

just curious,do you reside in both NJ and FL? Or are you moving back to NJ after living in Fl?.....If you still reside in both states It should be interesting if NJ will issue a NJ FOID card.

Yes. I maintain residences in both FL and NJ. Since my original post, I have been issued a NJ FOID card.

I would be concered about using my purchase permit to purchase a gun I already have. NJ is strange. My son lives in NJ and waited about 4 months to get his purchase permit. His best friend who actually HAS a NJ CWP said not to bother them or you will go to the bottom of the stack.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back