lit up by kansas hwy patrol

crazycathed

I was on my way back to ohio from kansas via rte 36 when I noticed a highway patrol car turn around as I passed it. my legs started shaking as I knew he was gonna get me for something and I had a loaded gun with an ohio permit.he followed me for about 5 miles to the next small town where he pulled me over. he said he pulled me over for dim brake lights, but he followed me for doing 72 in a 65. I waited for a pause in the conversation to inform him I had an out of state permit and a gun in my jacket in the back seat. he said that's fine just as long as it stays there. he compared the info on my permit with my DL and went to his car to run my info. a few mins later he came back with a warning. we talked for a few mins like we were best buddies and he was on his way.

Looks like you were OK, Kansas honors the Ohio permit, even though it appears Ohio does not honor Kansas (that's not nice.):cray:

Also Kansas is a notify on demand state so you really would not have to have told him you had the weapon in the back seat anyway, but it appears it may have worked to your advantage.

Right on.
I like to hear stories like that. The cops are too disconnected with regular people, or 'civilians' as we have been recently called. We need to have good relations with our local police, and give a good impression to them, as "ambassadors" of CC.
Too many people think that if someone has a CHL/CCW, then that makes them a nut job automatically.

I'm from Kansas and although we don't have to volunteer concealed info unless asked, you can bet that I'd inform a police officer about any concealed handgun. I would not want a stressful situation to turn ugly. Most of the officers I know do not appreciate surprises.

Why would it ever be a surprise to the officer that you are carrying concealed? Unless they pull you out of your car for a search, the gun is concealed and they don't know you are carrying. Concealed is concealed.

glad to hear it was a positive experience, it didn't start well. U-turn on highway, following you and a pull over for "dim tail light"

Indiana's the happy drunk in the bar. We're everybody's best friends. The only places we don't allow their denizens... uh, citizens to carry in our state are places where they don't give out licenses of any kind, Illinois and Wisconsin, because the 2A is null and void there... well, until the 9th Circuit catches up with the 7th Circuit, and Vermont, because... they're Vermont. Pass a frickin' law putting one line on the bottom of the back of your state IDs that turns it into a gun license already.

Oh, and the Northern Mariana Islands and American Samoa too.

What I hate is even if I get my Indiana life permit and carry around a completion certificate to an NRA basic pistol course which exceeds your state's training requirement, that still wouldn't make me kosher to carry in Ohio or lots of other places. I have to spend beaucoup more bucks to get an out-of-state Utah permit in addition to my life Indiana permit.

"I have to spend beaucoup more bucks..."

Holy crap. I've spent my entire life in the South and never realized the origin of this word until I just saw you spell it out.

The only thing that worries me is that he pulled you over for a DIM light, but followed you for speeding. I would think that it would be the other way around. Interesting.

he said the brake lights have to be visible for 300 feet. one of them didn't work. I'm guessing this is what he was referring to.I wasn't about to ask him, thus letting him know I had faulty brake lights and was driving anyway. I guess he followed me for so far waiting for the info on my plates to come back.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back