Link to TN handgun laws

DrDavidM

I am sure everyone from TN is aware of this, but if someone is visiting they might need to know.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

edited for

Places carrying is prohibited

Anywhere alcohol is sold by the drink.

No school ground or event. The exception is when dropping off or picking up as long as the handgun is not handled

Any room where judicial proceeding are in progress.

Public parks, playgrounds, civic centers, and other buildings, facilities, areas or other
properties that are owned, used, or operated by municipalities, counties or state for
recreational purposes.

Any private business with an appropriate sign posted. It must have wording according to
state regulations. It must also be posted at every entrance to the building.

PURSUANT TO § 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY
HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS
BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY
WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER
STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT
MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).

A sign with a picture of a pistol and a line through it does not count

Permit is issued by the state and valid anywhere inside the state

Person must complete an 8 hour handgun course or have proof of similar course. Including class room work followed by a written exam, then range time. You are required to shoot from 3 yards, 7 yards, then 15 yards. You must have a 70% on the written exam and range exam to pass the course

Cost is $115 paid in CASH to drivers license center. Must present proof of class completion along with drivers license and birth certificate

It is valid for 4 years. Renewal fee is $50

Applications available at any drivers license center.

Must make an appointment for finger printing. Drivers license office provides you with a phone number and paper you must present to them

It is not a must inform law enforcement state. It is highly recommended though

It is an open carry permit. Open or concealed is allowed

Tn has a castle doctrine

TN handgun permit is recognized by 34 other states and will recognize any valid handgun permit from another state that contains a picture of the liscensee.

Must be a resident of the state

Anyone becoming a resident, that has a handgun permit of a reciprocal state has 6 months to obtain a TN permit. If their state has the same requirements of TN, they will be processed as a renewal.

STATES THAT DO NOT RECOGNIZE TENNESSEE PERMITS
California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nebraska
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
Washington
Wisconsin

Last edited:
I have edited my post to provide what i can recall is the relevent information. If anyone can think of anything else please post it. :)

How's about another direct link to the code, from Link Removed?

Also, I've been unable to find a link to the exact wording required by state regulations for a private business to post, prohibiting from carry. Does anyone know that wording or have a link to it?

Travis

Ah, I may have just found what I was looking for within my own link! :D

"THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500)."

I guess that answers that.

Travis

WV is now off your list, we ar good there also.
Where did you find attorney's office? Never heard that one before.

Thank you for your help gfd. TN department of safety had not updated their site to include WV. The WV state site had, and showed TN reciprocity. I gladly removed it from the list. The attorney's office came from the notes I took in my class. I did not recall it as being prohibited, but I thought I would list it to be on the safe side. I found it strange, but we're talking about the laws, so you never know. I will call the TN department of safety Tues and verify the information.

thank you again,

I am sure everyone from TN is aware of this, but if someone is visiting they might need to know.

http://state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

edited for

Places carrying is prohibited

Federal buildings, court rooms, attorney's office, post office

Airports

I can't find anything in T.C.A. that prohibits carry from the above places, excpet a courtroom and maybe a lawyers office IF a judical proceeding is taken place at the time you are there.

Yes, post offices are off-limits per CFR, but nothing is TN law about federal buildings, unless they have sign posted un 39-17-1359 (as tadams posted), or airpots.

If you have the statute number could you please post it.

This information was based on what I was taught in my handgun class. I have, however, found more than one piece of information inaccurate from the class. I am going to place a phone call to the department of safety Tues to verify that part of the restrictions.. Thank you for the post. I truly do not want to post any information that is inaccurate.

Gfd and Fallguy, you appear to be right. I have removed the attorney's etc.

code 39-17-1306 states No person shall intentially, knowingly, or recklessly carry on or about the person while inside any room where judicial proceeding are in progress any weapon prohibited by 39-17-1302 for the purpose of going armed; provided that if the weapon is a firearm the person is in violation of this section regardless of whether such weapon is carried for the purpose of going armed. Any person violating this commits a class E felony.

I am still going to call and I am not sure about the airports. I would be afraid to carry at an airport regardless of what they said :)
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
David….first let me say, I hope my first post didn’t come off wrong. I thought about it later that evening. New guy comes in, registers and then first thing starts saying all this-and-that. LOL

I pretty much agree with you about the airports as well. At least in Memphis and Nashville, I don’t see myself carrying into them.

I must say while I’m disappointed, I’m not surprised to hear that you are finding out some of the things you learned in class are wrong. It seems people like us on this forum, that take the time to know and exercise our rights, know much more than the average person, and most of the time even more than most LEO’s (no offense to any) when it comes to the laws regarding handguns and carry permits.

The two best sources I have found for the laws etc.. are Link Removed (the section that deals with handguns and permits is Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13) and TN Attorney General's Opinions

The statues that have anything about prohibited places to carry are…

39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served.
*39-17-1306. Carrying weapons during judicial proceedings.
39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property
*39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers
and other public recreational buildings and grounds
….and any place with a sign posted under 39-17-1359

*39-17-1306 and 39-17-1311 actually don’t mention handguns but a list of prohibited weapons found in 39-17-1302(a), of which a handgun is not one of them. That is why through my state representative I have requested an Attorney General’s Opinion about whether it is legal for a person with a handgun carry permit to enter the premises of the places listed in the two statutes. I will for sure post the results when I get them.

Look forward to talking with everyone more in the future!!

No problem Fallguy. I am posting this to help everyone. The last thing I want is to have incorrect information. I truly appreciate your assistance.

ps My wife just took her class and was told they were prohibited in any federal building. I would be nice if they could teach correct, consistant information. :)

I am more confused than ever now. I called the department of safety. They said they were prohibited in any government type building, including post office, court house, police station, etc

I have composed and sent a letter via snail mail to the director of handgun carry permit issuance at the TN Department of Safety in hopes of getting a clear accurate answer to this question.

I have composed and sent a letter via snail mail to the director of handgun carry permit issuance at the TN Department of Safety in hopes of getting a clear accurate answer to this question.

Well as I said David...and I don't mean any disrepect to any, but as I said, lots of LEO's don't really know the law. I got the copy of the questions that my state rep submitted to the AG for me, I hope to have the answers soon. Now of course the AG's opinion is not the law of the land any more than the word of a LEO, but...the AG's office or his subordinates are the ones that would prosecute you. So if he doesn't think it is against the law, I don't think you would be charged even if the local sheriff didn't like it.

I will say though....there is an excemption in 39-17-1359 (posting a sign) that says that any sign a goverment building/land (local, state, federal) had posted to prior to July 1, 2000 would meet the requirment to ban handguns. So if your city hall etc... had the internation no and gun sign, or just a sign that said no weapons or no guns prior to July 1, 2000 it is valid.

I will say though....there is an excemption in 39-17-1359 (posting a sign) that says that any sign a goverment building/land (local, state, federal) had posted to prior to July 1, 2000 would meet the requirment to ban handguns. So if your city hall etc... had the internation no and gun sign, or just a sign that said no weapons or no guns prior to July 1, 2000 it is valid.

Are you referring to this?

(c) Any posted notice being used by a local, state or federal governmental entity on July 1, 2000, that is in substantial compliance with the provisions of subsection (a) of this section may continue to be used by the governmental entity.

It does say that the bit about posting before 2000, but it says it has to be in substantial compliance with subsection (a) of the same (current) section in order to be continued to be used. Subsection (a) is the part where is says it has have "substaintially similar" wording.

Wouldn't that mean it would still have to comply to that law? It seems to me it is saying that if the sign they used before 2000 is in compliance with the current law, they don't to put up a new sign. It does not seem to say (to me) that an old sign that is incorrect is "granfathered in."

Last edited:
Ah-Ha...I stand corrected. I would agree with you robbiev. That was the code I was reffering to and it does say "in substantial compliance".

...and David, if you haven't sent that letter to the DOS yet, ask them to refer to the statute of any place they say is off limits. Such as carrying in a place that serves alcohol is prohibited by 39-17-1305 and so on. Just as if they write you a ticket or tailgating they have to refer to 55-8-124; Passing in a no passing zone 55-8-121; Coasting 55-8-167 and so on the ticket.

I have seen a couple of the old signs on goverment buildings around here, but for the life of me I can not tell what day they were put up. I do not think anyone at the court house could tell me either. So the way I see it any goverment building can post a ghost buster sign at any time and it is up to us to figure out what day they did it to be legal. Way to go, Tennessee, let's see how much more confusing you can make it.

I agree...maybe at the end of the day the best thing that could come from this is for the legislature to modify 39-17-1359 to include all the places off limits to HCP holders in one place.

After I get the opinion back from the AG might be something to talk to my state rep about. Of course...the down side could be some places being added that aren't prohibited by statute right now.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back