Link to TN handgun laws

So the way I see it any goverment building can post a ghost buster sign at any time and it is up to us to figure out what day they did it to be legal.

I don't believe that's what it says. The way I read it (see my previous post) is that the sign must still conform to the current law.

My letter to Ms Moore (the director of permit issuance) went out Wed. Sorry Fallguy I had already sent it before you suggested listing which code each occurance accompanies. My good ideas always seem to come a little to late. :) Hopefully, she will shed some light on this. I agree the actual code simply says when a court is in session. I personally want to comply with whatever the people that issue the permit say, however. Again hopefully she will first, reply to my letter and secondly include the codes, etc and make this issue more clear.

thanks for everyones input. I would have never even questioned what i thought I knew if it wasn't for you all. :)

Here is a link to the AG Opinion I requested.

So now with this knowledge in hand. I would say the ONLY places prohibited by law to carry a handgun if you have a valid HCP are...

Where alcoholic beverages are served. Link Removed
(For onsite consupmtion)

Where judicial proceeding are taking place. Link Removed

On School Property Link Removed
Unless in kept in car. T.C.A. 39-17-1309(c)(1)

At public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. Link Removed
Unless kept in car. T.C.A.(b)(1)(G)(iv)

Any place with a sing posted under Link Removed

Of course there are other situations where possesin of a gun is illegal period, While under the influence of alcohol Link Removed, if you are under 18 Link Removed and maybe some others. But my first 5 are the only places I can find that are statutoraly off limits for people with a valid HCP.

Last edited:
My letter to Ms Moore (the director of permit issuance) went out Wed. Sorry Fallguy I had already sent it before you suggested listing which code each occurance accompanies. My good ideas always seem to come a little to late. :) Hopefully, she will shed some light on this. I agree the actual code simply says when a court is in session. I personally want to comply with whatever the people that issue the permit say, however. Again hopefully she will first, reply to my letter and secondly include the codes, etc and make this issue more clear.

thanks for everyones input. I would have never even questioned what i thought I knew if it wasn't for you all. :)

David...did you ever get your letter back? I looked at the DOS website again today. I noticed many other states have it directly on their handgun website what places are off-limits. TN gives you a link to relevant T.C.A. statute numbers and suggest you look them up yourself. It's almost like they don't want to tell you themselves.

Also did you ever talk back with your instuctor about the places he was teaching that were off-limits but aren't?

Do you know the profession of your instructor? LEO, Busniessman etc....

Anyway...glad we have this forum.

No, I have not received the letter back yet. I still have a small amount of hope. I haven't spoken with my instructor either. I don't know his actual profession. He teaches the Tn handgun course and the security guard course. Also, a really good IDPA shooter, but that's kind of irrelevant.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back