lifetime out of state

mechhead

im a marine in north carolina and i've been researching the laws on concealed carry but im still unclear on certain things. im originally from indiana and will be moving back there at the end of my 2nd enlistment and was wondering if i currently live in north carolina and will be here for a few more years, would i still be able to get a permit from indiana because im military or would i have to get a north carolina permit and tranfer it when i move back to indiana?

That's a good question and I know that someone will answer your question but I was born where you station.

im a marine in north carolina and i've been researching the laws on concealed carry but im still unclear on certain things. im originally from indiana and will be moving back there at the end of my 2nd enlistment and was wondering if i currently live in north carolina and will be here for a few more years, would i still be able to get a permit from indiana because im military or would i have to get a north carolina permit and tranfer it when i move back to indiana?

What state have you declared as your state of residence? If it's IN, then you get that permit. If it is NC, then get that one. The cool thing is they share reciprocity with one another.

Now what I'm telling you is what I think I remember from being active duty over 20 years ago. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

What state have you declared as your state of residence? If it's IN, then you get that permit. If it is NC, then get that one. The cool thing is they share reciprocity with one another.

Now what I'm telling you is what I think I remember from being active duty over 20 years ago. If this is incorrect, someone please correct me.

For what it's worth, I think you're right... but I don't know for sure either since I wasn't worried about that while I was in.

You can find the NC end of things here (as well as some Marine-specific info) at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf . Look in the Non-Resident section. Appears to me that if you now have an IN Lifetime license you can keeep it. Otherwise check into what handgunlaw.us has for links on the IN page.

It's as Wolf_fire says. Which State do you pay State taxes to? Which State's Driver's License is in your wallet? Which State's License Plates are on your car? Which State is on your DD214? That is your State of Record. Get that States Handgun License/Permit.

Last edited:
1. It appears as if you must apply in person in Indiana:

Link Removed

Step 3: Bring your Application Number to your local law enforcement agency for approval and local fee payment.

2. It will still be against Federal law for you to carry a loaded firearm in public within 1000' of a school in North Carolina without a North Carolina permit.

3. If you want to purchase firearms in North Carolina you are going to need a North Carolina purchase permit anyway, so you might just as well get the North Carolina concealed carry permit which satisfies the requirement.

1. It appears as if you must apply in person in Indiana:

Link Removed

2. It will still be against Federal law for you to carry a loaded firearm in public within 1000' of a school in North Carolina without a North Carolina permit.

3. If you want to purchase firearms in North Carolina you are going to need a North Carolina purchase permit anyway, so you might just as well get the North Carolina concealed carry permit which satisfies the requirement.

You fill out the application online.
You go to a Morpho Trust site for the Fingerprinting.

I don't know if it's possible, but then I'm not in NC wanting to do it, but you might be able to go to one of the neighboring states like SC or TN to a Morpho Trust Site there. You can call them and ask if they can take fingerprints for IN when / if you go to book an appointment.

Last edited:
You fill out the application online.
You go to a Morpho Trust site for the Fingerprinting.

I don't know if it's possible, but then I'm not in NC wanting to do it, but you might be able to go to one of the neighboring states like SC or TN to a Morpho Trust Site there. You can call them and ask if they can take fingerprints for IN when / if you go to book an appointment.

Bah.... I forgot all about that pesky local fee at the local law enforcement agency... I don't even know why it's still there. They used to have us go there for the fingerprinting and turn in the paper forms.... Now it's like... Why bother?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back