Life expectancy

GeneralSumter

So is there an expected amount of rounds you'll put through your personal defense gun, your CC gun, before you decide it's time to put a new model in the holster? Yes, it should operate and shoot well for 20-30,000 rounds before maybe a barrel change is needed or a new firing pin, but is there a point when you say I'd rather trust my life to a newer weapon?

I liken it to a car. Sure your camry or silverado is running strong at 125,000 miles, but after about 150,000, even though it gets you to work... you have your doubts about a 12 hour trip in it and you take the "newest" car in the family, or rent a new one.

Does the same apply to your PD gun? Just a brain picker while I pretend to work (and wait on my permit to arrive).

I would take that on an individual basis. It depends on the gun, and the person. I personally would keep my glock on me until it rusts away, replacing parts as needed. I mean, if it goes bang everytime, why replace it?

I heard something that polymer-framed pistols aren't expected to live beyond about a 20K round life before everything gets too loose and/or the frame develops cracks.

Is there any truth to this?

I'll occasionally replace springs and eventually the barrel. I don't see replacing the pistol unless it develops a problem.

if your gun is plastic or aluminum then you will have to replace the gun. a steel frame and slide ie 1911 will last forrever. i gunsmith these and have only had to repair minor parts ie sear and disconnect or firing pin spring barrel once. the great thing about a 1911 and i hate to hinder my buisness but you can do everything to keep your gun up yourself. if you put in a good sear and disconnect there is no limit to amount of dry fire drills you can do. the great thing about a steel frame is if you get slide wobble you can have a gunsmith tighten it for you a 1911 will out live you great grand kids if you care for it. a glock or a smith& wesson will wear down and eventually have to be replaced
oh and make sure if you get a 1911 carbon steel frame and slide, not aluminum or stainless these materials wear quickly reducing the life of your pistol greatly

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back