Lets think about food for a minute

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
When surviving in the wild, the difference between what you will eat and what you won't is about 1-2 days.
Small game is great but must be fully cooked in order to avoid parasites and food poisoning.

Berries are a perennial favorite...but only if you can identify them and ensure that they are not Jesus Berries (you know the berries you eat and you get to see Jesus because you just ingested a gut full of self toxifying fun).

Many plants and roots are edible and you this is the crux of the matter...do you know what is good and what is not?

See what the other wildlife are eating is a start but remember out appendix is not developed to break down grasses like a deer or rabbit.

Nuts offer good protein but are sort of seasonal.

Wild blackberries and blue berries offer tons of vitamins and sugar energy.

Here is a hint...follow the deer...many will go to a crop like area where hunters have planted grains and corn in an effort to keep a small herd put. This can lead to some easy foraging for wheat grain and oats for carbs and fiber.

Keep an eye out for fishing opportunities as well...fish are brain food!

Stalking The Wild Asparagus by the late Euell Gibbon is a pretty good book on identifying plants that are edible in the wild. Sometimes you can find a copy at used book stores for next to nothing.

But see Festus your in the Panhandle and then likely heading into the woods.

Down here in the deep southern part of our great state I figure if the SHTF I have two choices, concrete and Everglades. Since what I am likely to find in the eastern glades is more likely to me than me eating it, I figure survival may come down to what I can loot from Publix along with the rest of the crowd.

That said, however, I do have survival fishing gear ready to harvest what I can from canals, lakes and the Ocean, and I keep a camping type portable water purfication system handy so these condo lakes can suddenly become a new ecosystem.

After that is a long walk toward the mainland, but I guess that would be next move.

But see Festus your in the Panhandle and then likely heading into the woods.

Down here in the deep southern part of our great state I figure if the SHTF I have two choices, concrete and Everglades. Since what I am likely to find in the eastern glades is more likely to me than me eating it, I figure survival may come down to what I can loot from Publix along with the rest of the crowd.

That said, however, I do have survival fishing gear ready to harvest what I can from canals, lakes and the Ocean, and I keep a camping type portable water purfication system handy so these condo lakes can suddenly become a new ecosystem.

After that is a long walk toward the mainland, but I guess that would be next move.

In your case a food storage program would be in order. For that matter it would be a good idea for all of us. Now if the government would just send me some bail out money so I could do that.

If the world goes to hell and food gets scarce and becomes an issue... I plan on using my iPhone (with all the survival resources available online) to determine what berries are edible and which aren't. :)

Now if the government would just send me some bail out money so I could do that.

You didn't get your notice ??? Just today I got another email that my bailout money is ready, it is from another disposed foreign minister in Nigeria. None has made it here yet but once it and the other three that I sent my "good faith deposits" for arrive, I expect to be in good shape. :biggrin:

One can always take the Bear Grylls and/or Les Stroud aproach and eat bugs and such.
...it's a thought
:biggrin:.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back