LEO's off duty and no firearm businesses

Raider-3

I am not a leo. This may vary state to state. I live in colorado and I thought I saw something in one of our statutes that said something about leo's are required to follow the same procedures as people with ccw's if they are off duty or not representing in a official copacity, business that post no firearm signs. Basically leave there gun before entering if I made this confusing. Any thoughts.

There's a (stupid) cafe/restaurant in Portland that has a "no law enforcement officers allowed" policy. Even funnier, they *DON'T* have a posted "no firearms" sign. One of these days, I need to go in open-carrying.

I can't decide if I want to call and warn the police first or not. If I do, it may be seen as premeditated disturbing the peace, with prior admission of guilt...

There's a (stupid) cafe/restaurant in Portland that has a "no law enforcement officers allowed" policy. Even funnier, they *DON'T* have a posted "no firearms" sign. One of these days, I need to go in open-carrying.

I can't decide if I want to call and warn the police first or not. If I do, it may be seen as premeditated disturbing the peace, with prior admission of guilt...

If they dont like cops so much that they dont allow them in their cafe, just see how long the response time is when they call 911 saying they are being robbed. I have a feeling the cops might just take their time.

From what I can tell CRS 16-2.05-101 would seem to give LEOs the authority to carry 24/7 if there employing agency has such a written policy.

Also it seems the statute that applies to the posting of signs CRS 18-12-214 only applies to those who have been issued a concealed handgun permit.

So it doesn't seem a business owner can make a LEO disarm. That being said....unless a LEO is on official business he can be asked to leave a place just like any other citizen.

Other interpretations are welcome.....

If they dont like cops so much that they dont allow them in their cafe, just see how long the response time is when they call 911 saying they are being robbed. I have a feeling the cops might just take their time.

Hence my desire to freak them out with a little legal open carry... And depending on who I get if I attempt to notify the police ahead of time, either I'll get arrested for disturbing the peace, or when THEY call 911, they'll get a "yeah, we know, call us when he's breaking the law."

Ok guys here I go. get ready! the place is a small little food hangout for homeless, gay, geek people.
they have ran into policeofficer because they are homeless, or gay or whatever! the homeless get free food or drinks sometime and can hangout there for hours if they want. read books, stay warm, talk to somebody.
be in a group where they are not told to move on you smell or you dress funny or your a drunk. or a homeless person. Is it that hard for any of us to understand that. You hate gays, you want the homeless out of sight. well let them go here and you go somewhere that they can not go. ok no big deal.
the mgr stood up for them and it is very hard to do that when cops are so powerful. look at the canton video.
do you think the homeless have more power than that guy. cops can beat and abuse the homeless cause who cares they will not have a video cam. and think your a cop and have been call 3 times on a homless guy who is cold and wornout and go's to some place who calls the police to throw the bum out. would you get a little hot on the guy. So your a town cop like that guy and you stop to get some food. and you look around and see the people there and think hey i know where to go now if i need to find one of these low lifes. right!
fine you know where they are now. so if a crime has gone down go there and pick who ever up. but till then how about some milk of human kindness let the person who has nothing have a littl place to go to that will not mind if he smells or dresses funny,dirty. what ever. so your a policeofficer and they asked you to go some where to give the man who has no where he can go a little place to rest or talk to others of the same rank. But if that palce needs help your going be slow to get there cause your feelings were hurt! cause if you plays with dirt your going get dirty so they deserve to not be protected like the nice shop down the street who gives cops a 10% discount or free drinks or meals or tickets to movies . GOD! your so special that you need to make every one bow to you. no dirty lowlife scum should be allowed to have some place that cares about them so much they stand up to a policeofficer. WOW ever hear" BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THERE GO I." prob not! if I have not gave you some food for thinking then you have no place in your heart that I could reach. you ever see a man so hungry he hunts in garbage cans. drinks old stuff left in bottles in the trash. that happens every day. What no work houses!, Jails, there is a chrismas movie you should see,
I don't think it will do any good but you never know. beware this boy, he is ? ya know!

to the officer who was asked to leave. they did not hit you with a baton or theaten you or call you names?
cause if they did I am sorry and you have my sadness for your feelings being hurt. You seem like a nice guy and are well dressed and heathy looking. I hope you can forgive them and understand they ment no harm to you as a person or as apoliceofficer, just a place they can be and not told to move on. Is that so wrong.
If i can not get you to see them as a person then I am sorry to try.
cause when i say things like this to people who have never been so low or have been hurt and noone cares. I hope it never happens to you.
Godbless you and keep you safe.
I at one time thought that the police were the best of us. now I look past the uniform and see the person.
some are the best of us others not so much. I see the best in so many differend ways now. the homeless guy
who stopped a women from being raped or ran in to a fire and saved someone or anything they do that someone might not do if they had much to lose. heros come in all kinds of ways. there was a black man who stood up
for all of us by standing up for his people, and some day our kids may very well play together,
I hope so, cause it's not happening yet.
ok I am ready let me have it.
I will not defend this post, say what you will.
godspeed.
Whitetiger. Gordon.

Whoa whitetiger. Unless I missed a prior post, aint no one bashing anybody, just a few comments about the policy.

Looking over Oregon's laws with a fine-toothed comb, it appears that in Oregon, officers are automatically given a CHL if they apply (but they still have to apply, being a current officer is just taken as prima fascia evidence that they qualify,) and without a CHL, they only get to disobey laws regarding open/concealed carry when "in the performance of official duty."

I saw the report on tv. very one sided with the police seen as victims that is what this post is aimed at not anyone person. The reporter was very high handed with the young mgr who was scared. I think he was right standing up to the news reporter.

I agree. If a LEO's life is so dangerous that they have to run around with guns 24/7 even when they are not on duty, then the rest of us ordinary folks do too. LEO's should not get special olympic treatment because of their jobs.

well I do work with LEO's and they do deal with very bad people and if they should happen to run across a Bad guy while off duty that they have dealt with in the past that might want revenge on the LEO well I would want that privilege too

I agree. LEO's should have the privelege of CC without the need to apply. The things he has to do on a day to day may definitely affect the light he is seen in on his off duty hours. He is more of a target than the normal civilian if he is recognized and in a vulnerable position.

On the same note, I also think he should be alway's on the 'verge' of being on duty should the need arise. In that case, the gun would be a neccessary tool for his response.

KK

You have the option to turn and run when things get a little hairy, police officers are required by OATH to react hence why the 24/7 is given..... Police officers are always "on duty" ..... Next time you feel like badging police officers ..... Just answer the post at hand..... Thanks

Keykutter:236357 said:
I agree. LEO's should have the privelege of CC without the need to apply. The things he has to do on a day to day may definitely affect the light he is seen in on his off duty hours. He is more of a target than the normal civilian if he is recognized and in a vulnerable position.

On the same note, I also think he should be alway's on the 'verge' of being on duty should the need arise. In that case, the gun would be a neccessary tool for his response.

KK

I think everyone should have the right to conceal carry without applying.

People...look up L.E.O.S.A. (HR 218)

I am a retired LEO living in Oregon. I have a CWP because I choose to (there are time when it is more "comfortable" to show my CWP than my retired ID/badge). We are limited by 2 specific types of state laws: legally posted private businesses that ban firearms and state laws that prohibit possession of weapons in government buildings.

We are still subject to federal limitations...which is another reason I have an Oregon CWP, since Oregon state law exempts CWP holders from such federal restrictions as carrying on school grounds.

You have the option to turn and run when things get a little hairy, police officers are required by OATH to react hence why the 24/7 is given..... Police officers are always "on duty" ..... Next time you feel like badging police officers ..... Just answer the post at hand..... Thanks

I'm kinda thinking you have misunderstood my meaning. I was defending the right of an LEO to carry without a CWP.

Why you thought I was trying to get an LEO to get a permit is beyond me. I hope you are not an LEO because your assesment of this situation, my post, leaves a bit to be desired.
Your right, I can't engage without defending a threat of life while an LEO can. I believe it should be that way

I'm kinda thinking you have misunderstood my meaning. I was defending the right of an LEO to carry without a CWP.

Why you thought I was trying to get an LEO to get a permit is beyond me. I hope you are not an LEO because your assesment of this situation, my post, leaves a bit to be desired.
Your right, I can't engage without defending a threat of life while an LEO can. I believe it should be that way

My post was not towards you, it was towards G50.....

I personally think that LEOSA is a bunch of crap. If cops need to run around the nation armed 24/7, and I am not sure that they do, then the rest of us ordinary folks should have that right too.
Sorry, silly me, I thought the OP asked what the law was...not my feelings on permit laws in the first place.

I would prefer that permits, background checks and limitations on types of firearms were all abolished...but that does not respond to the purpose of the thread.

In the meantime, I will take advantage of the exemptions I have.

Geeze. Not that I haven't met an idiot LEO once or twice in my long life, but the overt bad feelings of Civilians vs. Cops in this Forum is disturbing.

I don't think an LEO should want to limit my ability to carry but I also think that if anyone should be required to be armed regardless, is an LEO, and not have to jump through the same hoops that government officials make civilians jump through.

I believe the Constitution gives us the inherent right to keep and bear arms but unfortunately there is a faction, some call it 'the crazies', that I really don't want to have access to weapons, let alone have the right to carry them.

Stealing them and hiding them on their person is bound to happen anyway but condoning it is more idiocy than encouraging a mental deficient to carry one, even though it may have the effect of thinning out the bad gene pool if they display, but I digress.

The first amendment is what this site is all about as well as the second, and I spent 20 years of my life helping to preserve the rights we have which for one is the right for anyone to say just about anything, but this animosity against LEO's really make's me think twice about why I am: 1. even having to say this. and 2. realizing why LEO's always seem like they are on the defensive.

I don't get it. Maybe someone can explain to me what the deal with this site is and attitude toward Law Enforcement. I'm fairly new here as a poster, maybe I missed something before I got here.

Not trying to teach, preach or set policy. Just trying to figure out if I fit in to this site.

KK

While I admit some on here truly may be Anti-LEO, I do think some others see anything other than; LEOs are always right, can never do anything wrong and can do whatever they need (regardless of law/rights/consitution) for safety as being Anti-LEO too.

I try to treat LEOs with respect, as I do anyone else, unless something happens to cause me not to have respect for them. But at the same time I don't automatically think they are the end-all-be-all of everything either. Just as most LEOs treat those they interact with respect while mentally thinking this person may try to kill me at any point and I need to be ready.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back