LEO stops - don't be compelled to answer so many questions

antietam

Banned
Here's an interesting link Link Removed stating the importance in keeping silent especially when the LEO goes on a fishing trip with questions. It's up to you to affirm your existing rights. It's not disrespectful to affirm your rights even though the LEO may imply that it is. Also, regarding the issue of mandatory disclosure laws in some states (Michigan, Louisiana, Oklahoma) that you're carrying, silence rights may trump those laws with a bit of legal push back.

Awsome information !!

ALL citizens should read this.... an abundance of useful information

good find Antietam & THANKS FOR SHARING !!

A little bit paranoid, but some good stuff. Here is my favorite line:

"Police officers are like vampires, they need your permission to come into your home."

Personally the police in SC have all been good men and women in MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, except for one short motorcycle policeman who yelled at my wife during a traffic stop. That was a chicken shit move. But police are just working people, not saints or gods. Thankfully most of ours are good people who serve the public. Again, just my experience.

"Paranoid" is a pretty strong psych term used by doctors and I'm amazed that you went that way with your reply. The link is full of just plain good legal and constitutional affirmations. I worked with LEOs from local police to US Marshals and FBI agents daily over a decade in communications and can tell you that a sobering percentage of them have attitudes and corruptions which warrant caution and a purging of naivety.

"Paranoid" is a pretty strong psych term used by doctors and I'm amazed that you went that way with your reply. The link is full of just plain good legal and constitutional affirmations. I worked with LEOs from local police to US Marshals and FBI agents daily over a decade in communications and can tell you that a sobering percentage of them have attitudes and corruptions which warrant caution and a purging of naivety.

Um, I based that on the thread where it said, and I quote:

"Cops that lie, need to die! Police officers that lie so that a person is fined, arrested or convicted should be shot in the head. If a cop ruins an innocent family's life, then the life of that cop and his family should be ruined as well."

That was posted by the MODERATOR.

Um, I based that on the thread where it said, and I quote:

"Cops that lie, need to die! Police officers that lie so that a person is fined, arrested or convicted should be shot in the head. If a cop ruins an innocent family's life, then the life of that cop and his family should be ruined as well."

That was posted by the MODERATOR.
ok, my bad, won't miss the dosage again!

I'm with you Islander on SC LEOs. Strikes me that if you show respect and obey their commands you will get it in return. Act like an idiot screaming constitutional rights--ask yourself how you would respond to such an idiot if you were the LEO--I think everyone knows the answer and it is not as polite as it might be if respectful conversation from the motorist was the case. Certainly the reference site is interesting and does give you some good advice, but regardless--common sense tells me to treat the LEO like my mother--with respect. He is in charge, he does not know you from a hole in the wall, he has just perceived that you broke the law, you obey and respect and never (??) have a problem. Last time I dealt with LEO, I was coming off of old Cooper River bridgeto Coleman and passing someone--I sped up slightly to pass and there he was. got blue lighted, pulled over to gas station at base of bridge and asked the usual questions. I answered respectfully and castigated myself for getting into this situation since I try to obey all speed laws, particularly at that location. He came back to my car after verifying my info and told me to "have a nice day" and I was issued a warning.NO doubt in my mind that if I had started with a big mouth, I would have been looking at points.

I say, answer the questions, its your choice to stop answering when youd like to. Noone says you have to answer them all....But however, it makes things go by alot easier for you if you do.

I treat the Police like I would want to be treated. I been stopped for Drag racing, driving over 100 mph in cars and on Motorcycles, it got so bad that if I saw a Cop in the other lane I would watch for tail lights and then pull over and sit on the trunk lid while waiting on the Cop. I got pulled over 21 times in Texas in 1964, and probably a total of over 50 times. I'm 65 years old and have only paid ONE fine in my life, that was four years ago and the little black Cop was shaking when I showed him my CWP. Over the years my best friends have been Cops, Narc I could write a book on the illegal things that I have seen them do.

It's OK to say NO...........to anyone, even a LEO. If you feel the questioning is getting out of hand or the direction of questioning is not relevant to the stop. Then by all means STOP, inform the Officer your objections and proceed from there. Most will de-escalate the questioning, some will become defensive. "How dare you question my Authority?" If it does come to that tell the officer either charge me or let me go. Fight it in court AFTER the fact. Please keep in mind, you can prevent the escalation if you are easy going and NOT belligerent. BUT if you run into a LEO with an attitude (and there are some out there) be as passive as possible (That's right, swallow your pride), make full mental notes of the events. Write down all you remember and submit a full complaint to the Dept. with cc to whoever's the head of that organization.
Just my Dimes worth, as always...............choices, we all have choices.

I'm with you Islander on SC LEOs. Strikes me that if you show respect and obey their commands you will get it in return. Act like an idiot screaming constitutional rights--ask yourself how you would respond to such an idiot if you were the LEO--I think everyone knows the answer and it is not as polite as it might be if respectful conversation from the motorist was the case. Certainly the reference site is interesting and does give you some good advice, but regardless--common sense tells me to treat the LEO like my mother--with respect. He is in charge, he does not know you from a hole in the wall, he has just perceived that you broke the law, you obey and respect and never (??) have a problem. Last time I dealt with LEO, I was coming off of old Cooper River bridgeto Coleman and passing someone--I sped up slightly to pass and there he was. got blue lighted, pulled over to gas station at base of bridge and asked the usual questions. I answered respectfully and castigated myself for getting into this situation since I try to obey all speed laws, particularly at that location. He came back to my car after verifying my info and told me to "have a nice day" and I was issued a warning.NO doubt in my mind that if I had started with a big mouth, I would have been looking at points.

Great points made. I just read info on that website. I find it amusiing that the person(s) that wrote the information describe police officers as attornies.

Of course, one could always drive in such a manner as to avoid a traffic stop in the first place...... ????

Of course, one could always drive in such a manner as to avoid a traffic stop in the first place...... ????

Maybe your tail light is out and you didn't notice. Maybe someone stole your license plate. Maybe someone reported a car the same as yours leaving the scene of a crime.

Cop asks, "So where ya coming from?"
Just coincidentally, you happen to be coming from that same area. Suddenly you are a lot more interesting.

I've got nothing against the police but people are wrongly arrested all the time.

It's always: "Where ya coming from?" and "Where ya going?" isn't it? I'll give LEO these two questions and any others I deem innocuous ("Seen any big bucks?" when I was stopped after bow-hunting recently). Any others I deem to be seriously fishing and I won't bite.

I'm respectful enough but I get the point across that the questions are over, usually by just looking at 'em and raising my eyebrows. I'm typically not worried about getting out of a ticket because I've already decided that if I'm gonna speed and I get caught, I'll pay the piper. So, I'm not a$$-kissing and anwering any/all questions in the hope of getting out of a fine. Do the crime, do the time, so to speak.

I never forget that, above and beyond anything else, LEO are agents of the state with the power to take away my immediate freedom. That does not cause me to cower but to be prepared to stand up for my rights. Any thinking person should do the same. YOU are responsible for knowing your rights and how to protect them.

re: Act like an idiot screaming constitutional rights ------- are you kidding?
No, we know you're not. 1st - articulate and point to who's screaming, 2nd, name all the idiots.
Are you a card-carrying commy or just a commy? Please let us know why you're so presumptuous that constitutional advocates are idiots? I think the idiot category is greatly narrowed to you, the protestor.

first post

I'm new here, and new to having a firearms permit, just got mine in the mail this week. I have found a couple of sites like this one and am looking for info about holsters, methods of concealment and laws. This thread caught my eye early, and while I was looking at the original post, I was remembering a video I had seen on the internet. It was the same one in the second post.
I think it would be a good idea for everyone to go back and watch it fully and soak it all up. This guy is a law professor and the other one a cop. They are BOTH telling the group and us through the video, to not talk to cops they have good reasons and I think we should take their advice. This may seem hard to do, I know I have several friends that are cops, but they WILL use what you in any way they deem necessary to get what they want.
Sorry if my first post seems to be a rant, but I think this country is going in ever decreasing circles and am worried about where it will stop.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back