LEO Notification - Colorado

Patriotpapa

Been reading and researching Colorado CCP laws and have not found any information regarding whether permit holders must notify Police (like Ohio) about carrying a pistol. I do see where the law states a LEO may disarm you and return your pistol after the stop.
Does anyone have a link or reference regarding notification? Also, has anyone had a police officer disarm them? Did you unload it and hand it to them; did they put you on the ground to disarm you; etc.? I have never handed someone a loaded pistol, rifle, or shotgun! Not in the service; not when I was a LEO; n.e.v.e.r.
I am curious to know what folks have encountered.

Thanks
Bruce/Papa

You are not required to notify in Colorado (CRS 18-12-204)

A peace officer may temporarily disarm a permittee, incident to a lawful stop of the permittee. The peace officer shall return the handgun to the permittee prior to discharging the permittee from the scene. (18-12-214)

It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section 33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101 to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. (33-6-125)

Under CRS 18-12-204

(2) (a) A permittee, in compliance with the terms of a permit, may carry a concealed handgun as allowed by state law. The permittee shall carry the permit, together with valid photo identification, at all times during which the permittee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun and shall produce both documents upon demand by a law enforcement officer.

This means that an LEO has to demand the document from you. You are not required to voluntarily produce it to them.

I have been stopped a few times by LEO here (one state trooper, three times by Loveland PD) and voluntarily showed them my CCW permit. They said "thanks" looked at it and handed it back to me. Never asked anything beyond that concerning my gun. In one stop I was not even carrying my weapon (I know, shame on me) but I told them I had a CCW permit. The reason I told them is that once they run the DL will show that I have a permit. Now I know you may be saying "why tell them?" I used to be LEO, so I've been in their shoes. So to me it's just a professional courtesy.

Under CRS 18-12-204

The reason I told them is that once they run the DL will show that I have a permit.

Yeah, not in Colorado it won't

Now I know you may be saying "why tell them?" I used to be LEO, so I've been in their shoes. So to me it's just a professional courtesy.

so do you let them search the car if they ask? I mean it's just professional courtesy

If you have nothing to hide, then why be concerned about it????

"I have nothing to hide so you wont find anything so you have no reason to search."

Would you let any LEO that knocks on your door search your house...since you have nothing to hide?

"I have nothing to hide so you wont find anything so you have no reason to search."

Would you let any LEO that knocks on your door search your house...since you have nothing to hide?

One of the most respected Jurists of the 20th Century (Robert H. Jackson) Stated "Any lawyer worth his salt will the the suspect in no uncertain terms to make no statement to the police under any circumstance" He also said "The Fifth Amendment exists primarily to protect the innocent from unwarranted prosecution.

Since we know that no cop ever put an innocent person in jail I guess Justice Jackson was just being negative.

There really isn't such thing as privacy in public. When I leave my house I realize that a cop may want to make sure I dont have drugs, a TSA agent will x-ray and search my luggage, give me a body scan or pat down, a security guard at the Pepsi center will tell me to open my jacket, a security guard at Elitches will make me walk through a metal detector, the security at the courthouse will make me empty my pockets and put me through a metal detector to serve my mandatory jury duty. Ill also be on video almost everywhere, driving or in a store.
Why am I not scared of any of this? Because I have no reason to be.

Big difference. All these places you mentioned are voluntary. You don't have to go there. There is a big difference between submitting to a search by a private institution that you choose to visit and having it forced upon you by an oppressive government.

While it's never a good idea to grant someone unrestricted access to your private business... just in case the situation plays out differently than you hoped, play it safe and ensure that there will never be anything for them to find except exactly what they expect to find. I, too, value my privacy so I tend to keep my private matters private.

While it's never a good idea to grant someone unrestricted access to your private business... just in case the situation plays out differently than you hoped, play it safe and ensure that there will never be anything for them to find except exactly what they expect to find. I, too, value my privacy so I tend to keep my private matters private.

Could you clarify that please?

Don't volunteer that you're carrying.
If they ask to search, say no.
If they search because think they have probable cause, ensure there's nothing for them to find.
Play the game... play by their rules... but always be the good guy... never the bad guy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back