Leo Encounter non-event

TexChap

TexChap
We moved to a little town in E TX a few months ago. A couple of days ago I came into town from a direction I have not before ...had visiting sister, b-i-l, and my visiting son LEO in the back seat. When I slowed to stop in turning lane at red light I saw flashing lights on my tail ...waited for green arrow, then completed left turn. I went past the first turn into a school parking lot and turned into a bank parking lot. Officer approached and requested license & insurance. I handed him license, CHL, and insurance. He asked where I work, and I told him "I'm retired." He leaned over to look at the windsield decals (regis & inspection ...also a military base decal there). He told me his radar showed me at 50 in 35 in a certain number block, and told me to wait here. He took quite awhile to return from his car, thanked me for my service to our country, told me he was giving me a warning only, gave me my papers back, and wished me a good day. He did not ask if I was carrying, and I never mentioned it beyond handing him the CHL. Next day we noted that the 35mph sign is right at the point where he was probably sitting running the radar ...now I know where to slow more when I come into town from the West!

Son LEO in back seat was also carrying ...hmm, does that need to be revealed when stopped also? ...son is a supervisor in his much larger department, and after the fact expressed his approval of the demeanor and procedures followed by my new acquaintance.

Son LEO in back seat was also carrying ...hmm, does that need to be revealed when stopped also? ...son is a supervisor in his much larger department, and after the fact expressed his approval of the demeanor and procedures followed by my new acquaintance.

Son had no interaction w/ the cop

The interaction sounds as if it was Professional and proper, exactly as it should be. Interestingly the 35mph zone starts at the 35mph sign.

Son LEO in back seat was also carrying ...hmm, does that need to be revealed when stopped also?

Some people will say it is polite, courteous, respectful and will help ensure the police officer goes home safe to his/her family at the end of the shift.

From The News Desk...

Earlier today a man locked himnself inside his own house. He has no hostages, no weapons, has made no demands and no one is paying any attention at all. :)

I love it when things work out so well. Kudos to that cop.

TexChap, I am glad you got off with just a warning. But I am wondering why you handed the officer your CHL? You weren't required by law, were you? Isn't it legal to carry concealed in a vehicle, even without a permit, in Texas? Pardon me if I am wrong, I am relying on an unreliable memory!:)
Some people show their CHL to gain the respect of the officer. That seems kinda cheesy to me.
I once had a friend who was stopped for speeding. He flashed a stack of $bills to the LEO, then kept raising the same $100 bill while pretending to hunt his driver's license (as if all he had was hundreds). Then he pulled out a bunch of credit cards and found his license among them.
I don't know if the officer was impressed , but my buddy got a ticket anyway!:D

TexChap, I am glad you got off with just a warning. But I am wondering why you handed the officer your CHL? You weren't required by law, were you?

Yes he was Texas is one of the very few states that require notification

Yes, it is legal to carry concealed in your vehicle (including motorcycle) in TX w/o a license as long as you may otherwise legally possess a firearm ...but it also is required that a licensed carrier provide the CHL to an officer if stopped while carrying. <edit> Prior to September 1, 2009 there was a 90 day suspension for failure to display your license ...the suspension was removed, but the requirement remains.

Last edited:
We moved to a little town in E TX a few months ago. A couple of days ago I came into town from a direction I have not before ...had visiting sister, b-i-l, and my visiting son LEO in the back seat. When I slowed to stop in turning lane at red light I saw flashing lights on my tail ...waited for green arrow, then completed left turn. I went past the first turn into a school parking lot and turned into a bank parking lot. Officer approached and requested license & insurance. I handed him license, CHL, and insurance. He asked where I work, and I told him "I'm retired." He leaned over to look at the windsield decals (regis & inspection ...also a military base decal there). He told me his radar showed me at 50 in 35 in a certain number block, and told me to wait here. He took quite awhile to return from his car, thanked me for my service to our country, told me he was giving me a warning only, gave me my papers back, and wished me a good day. He did not ask if I was carrying, and I never mentioned it beyond handing him the CHL. Next day we noted that the 35mph sign is right at the point where he was probably sitting running the radar ...now I know where to slow more when I come into town from the West!

He only gave you a warning? You must be lying. We all know cops are just tax collectors looking to beat us up and take our money...

(Sarcasm directed at the anti's)

An Officer never has to disclose to another officer whether on or off duty that he has a weapon. He can if he wants to but a sworn officer not in any trouble with his department can carry anywhere in the country. Thank you George W.

Yes, it is legal to carry concealed in your vehicle (including motorcycle) in TX w/o a license as long as you may otherwise legally possess a firearm ...but it also is required that a licensed carrier provide the CHL to an officer if stopped while carrying ...misdemeanor offense not to do so.

You may want to check your local laws, Texas does require notification as you mention but the statute lists no penalty for failure to do so.

That is correct ...NOT a misdeameanor, and no penalty for failure after 1 Sep 2009. Thanks for the correction ...I have edited my previous post on that point to avoid confusing folks.

That is correct ...NOT a misdeameanor, and no penalty for failure after 1 Sep 2009. Thanks for the correction ...I have edited my previous post on that point to avoid confusing folks.

No worries welcome to usacarry

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back