LEO Couldn't Open D/A Revolver Cylinder

Unfortunately, many new hires have never handled any firearms prior to Law Enforcement. Then LEO training hasn't the propensity or inclination or supplies to teach the new hires any information that is presumed to be unneeded... but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be sent thru the Evidence/Property Room to be shown how one is rendered safe if needed.

Also, per the original post, the Cop was probably either working a part time/off duty gig or may have even been an Explorer. Some of the prime off duty gigs can go to the most inexperienced but most politically connected/reality ignorant "House" badges... :08:

Unfortunately, many new hires have never handled any firearms prior to Law Enforcement. Then LEO training hasn't the propensity or inclination or supplies to teach the new hires any information that is presumed to be unneeded... but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be sent thru the Evidence/Property Room to be shown how one is rendered safe if needed.

Also, per the original post, the Cop was probably either working a part time/off duty gig or may have even been an Explorer. Some of the prime off duty gigs can go to the most inexperienced but most politically connected/reality ignorant "House" badges... :08:

You bring up a very good point there. I'm sure if it was true in this case or not, but I do remember a gun show a few years ago that used Explorer type pre officers. And, true training does tend to assume more than it should sometimes. Either way, the individual in question now knows. :)

I'm surprised...

I'm a little surprised that No One in this thread has asked the $60,000 question. Please do not take my question and comment as an attack, rather take away a lesson learned in Safe Firearms Handling. (The glass is always Half Full) :bigsmile:

The Question:
Why are you handing a firearm to somene that is not Unloaded, Open, and ready for inspection?

Lesson:
NEVER hand a firearm to anyone without First making it safe, and ready for inspection. (This includes opening the Cylinder, Slide, or Bolt)

I'm a little surprised that No One in this thread has asked the $60,000 question. Please do not take my question and comment as an attack, rather take away a lesson learned in Safe Firearms Handling. (The glass is always Half Full) :bigsmile:

The Question:
Why are you handing a firearm to somene that is not Unloaded, Open, and ready for inspection?

Lesson:
NEVER hand a firearm to anyone without First making it safe, and ready for inspection. (This includes opening the Cylinder, Slide, or Bolt)

In most cases I will hand a firearm with the action open and "safe". I've observed many folks at gun shows who are not as safety concious as I am, nor do they practice firearms handling the way I do. There are some folks who will clear the firearm, close the action and hand it to you. This is common at many of the gun shops I've visited. When accepting the firearm, I open the action to confirm that it's safe. When I'm done, I'll hand the firearm back with the action open whenever possible. There are some revolvers that require you to remove the cylinder for loading purposes. In this case, I'll ensure that the firearm is safe before handing it to another person with the action closed.

Good point in asking why the firearm wasn't handed to the officer with the action open. I also wonder why the officer couldn't figure out how to render the firearm "safe". I can imagine that if she were to find a firearm at a crime scene that she would need to know how to open the action. I have yet to encounter a BG that leaves guns lying around with the action open. :wink:

gf

Good point!!! I can't think of a time that I have not handed my gun to someone without the action open. The only time was at a gun show, I pulled the gun out of my holster and proceded to clear, but the cop at the door got itchy me handling the gun so I just gave it to him. You know because obviously he was the only one who could handle the gun safetly. I don't think that is the case here, but this does happens sometimes. Its a good point though. I get cranky at the gun stores when they don't do that automatically. I'm going to recheck when I get the gun, but its good practice on both sides ALWAYS

If the firearm had been a semi-auto, I would have cleared it and left the slide open. However,
since it was a revolver I cleared it, closed the cylinder, reversed the grip in my hand and
handed it to the officer grip forward.

As is often stated about 20-20 hindsight, I realize now I should have left the cylinder open.
My excuse is that I was sure the police officer would know how to open it. It never occurred
to me that someone in uniform with a badge would not know how to safely handle a revolver.

It took much less time to do it than to explain it here.

The next time, I'll not assume that police officers know anything about anything.

Thank you.

This is an excellent demonstration of how some LEO, though "well qualified" and "well trained" still lack certain skills. I don't profess to be an expert in firearms by any means, but if I ever got my hands on a firearm that I couldn't figure out, and the owner was standing right in front of me, I would not hesitate to ask them to open the action for me.

There's nothing wrong with asking, though I see a huge fault in someone who insists on being stubborn and "figuring it out" for themselves. That's how "accidents" often happen.

I'll bet that this "teachable moment" was shared with at least a couple of her fellow officers, and I'm sure that they'll be brushing up on their knowledge of revolvers. :wink:

gf

I was at the local "eat stop" for the LEO's at the Academy and one of the local "SWAT Jocks" saw my GP100 being open carried. He pointed and said something to his co-worker, who said, "You carry a Revolver?"

I looked at him and replied, "Yes, I hit what I aim at." :D I then walked away.

I knew a couple of them, and they knew I am an LEO, but I was off duty at the time.

Biker

retired LFO

yes I saw some of the things memtioned here and some that --well we had an LFO who could not see very well--so when it came time to qualify someone had to shoot his target so he would qualify---not funny but we all knew and he walked on the main drag and never got any calls for anything(old ready to retire)--he used a S&W
38 4" with a bull barrel(it was retired to junk after he left--could not get it open). I hope the new guys are getting better tranining now. But with the comments posted I wonder, and people ask why I carry a gun all the time. :eek:mg:

yes I saw some of the things memtioned here and some that --well we had an LFO who could not see very well--so when it came time to qualify someone had to shoot his target so he would qualify---not funny but we all knew and he walked on the main drag and never got any calls for anything(old ready to retire)--he used a S&W
38 4" with a bull barrel(it was retired to junk after he left--could not get it open). I hope the new guys are getting better tranining now. But with the comments posted I wonder, and people ask why I carry a gun all the time. :eek:mg:

Scary part would be if some BG saw this guy in uniform and decided to become aggressive. At this point, Mr. Magoo would have a REALLY BAD situation. If the guy can't see, much less qualify, then put the guy on a desk and let him do admin duties where he'll be safer than walking a beat in uniform and possibly needed for LE purposes.

Don't understand why someone had to shoot his target to qualify. Why not simply set the target out at 5'? Let him shoot, reload and finish shooting the target. This way it's HIM doing the actual shooting. It's still a bad thing to do, but at this point only person who will be in trouble is the person who is signing off on his qualification. Having another person shoot for him puts more people at risk. JMHO

gf

I learned a long time ago that LEOs, just like the rest of us, are human and just like the rest of us humans, they don't know everything. That being said, I'm wondering what exactly the firearms portion of their police academy training entails. Are they only taught the workings of what they'll be carrying while on duty? Or did this particular officer simply sleep through the portion of the academy in which revolvers were discussed? Whatever happened, she is seriously deficient in an area that law enforcement officers should not be deficient in.

Hey for what they get paid ... we are luck to get the high quality we have ... try finding someone that will lay it on the line for the $'s they get... sad she could not figure out such a simple operation (in my mind) but likely its the first time she even had one laid inher hand.

According to an FBI study the average LEO is not a gun person by any definition. Spending on an average one or two days at the range a years depending on their departments qualification fire arm requirements. It is that report that make me laugh every time I hear only LEO are properly trained to carry firearms.
Note I did not even make any reference at all to affirmative action hiring requirements

Last edited:
LEO couldn't open

I love watching the TV series, 'COPS,' and chuckle when an officer finds a weapon, and then it shows the troubles they have trying to make it safe. A guy I used to work with carried a .25ACP shell casing on his key ring. It matched the slug that was buried in or against his femur. He found a .25 auto on a guy one night and tried sticking it in his hip pocket when it went off. As he was a very large person, the doctors said it was safer to leave the slug in place rather than risking surgery to remove it.

One of my pet peeves is the detective novels that the author has the hero pick up his Smith & Wesson .38 snubnose and check the safety catch. The next time I read that, I will scream and throw the book. I wrote one author on this and he apologized and said he would get someone who knew weapons to read future works for accuracy.

My favorite is still the DEA Agent that shot himself in the foot right after making the statement " This is a Glock 40. I am the only one in here quilified to handle it".

This yoyo had the nerve to sue the DEA and the state of FL for leaking the video. He claimed that he was "embarrassed" and would no longer be able to work undercover. He had to try the case pro se. I'm guessing because he wasn't able to find an attorney that would try the case for him.

gf

I thought they made him a GS 14 Stupidvisor?

Biker

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back