Length Of Residency To Purchase Pistols In Washington

wuzfuz

I just received my Washington state Concealed Pistol license and went to the gun store to buy an XD-45. The clerk said I had to be a resident of Washington for 90 days before I could buy a handgun. I have never heard anything so stupid. As I understood the material I had access to, the 90 day residency was to apply for a CPL to be delivered in 30 days. Otherwise, it would be 60 days. The clerk a tthe store had told me as soon as I had my permit, I could come in and pick up my handgun. I cannot find anywhere in any meterial I have that says you have to live in Washington for 90 days prior to buying a handgun. What say you, folks?

I just received my Washington state Concealed Pistol license and went to the gun store to buy an XD-45. The clerk said I had to be a resident of Washington for 90 days before I could buy a handgun. I have never heard anything so stupid. As I understood the material I had access to, the 90 day residency was to apply for a CPL to be delivered in 30 days. Otherwise, it would be 60 days. The clerk a tthe store had told me as soon as I had my permit, I could come in and pick up my handgun. I cannot find anywhere in any meterial I have that says you have to live in Washington for 90 days prior to buying a handgun. What say you, folks?

Why do you need a CPL when you're covered by LEOSA? How do they determine your length of residence in the state of WA? When I established residency in GA, the clerk checked my ID and noticed the "exam date" (serves as the date of issue) of a week before my purchase. The clerk asked if I lived in GA for the last 6 months, and I responded "yes". Wasn't sure why asked, didn't bother to ask.

It could be either federal law or ATF guidelines that require them to ask if you've been a resident of the state for at least 90 days. I can think of a few ways that the store clerks can check on this, but won't advertise here. A lot of times it's how you conduct yourself and interact with the clerks at the gun stores.

gf

Length of residence

With all due respect, why do you believe I would be covered by LEOSA? Being a former deputy sheriff really endows me with no rights or abilities others do not share. I am a citizen, albeit one who has received more training than the average person, even though I would give anything to attend the training at Front Sight Resorts. One shop I talked to said it was a BATF regulation aobut the 90 day residency. I have been all over the United States, and have never heard of a residency requirement of 90 days to purchase a handgun. the only regulation or law that I know of is that you must be a resident of a state to purchase a handgun in that state. I could not expect to go to Oregon, let's say, and buy a handgun. Afte all, I got a pawn shop along the Mexican border shut down when I was a jailer for an Arizona county. DPS had brought in three illegals, and each one of them had a cheap .38 special pistol, with consecutive serial numbers. they had the receipts in their property, and I notified one of our detectives, who brought in an ATF agent. I heard later the pawn shop that sold the illegals the guns had been raided and closed down for many illegal sales. I have our lease agreement from our landlord that establishes my residency dating from August 1 instead of my Driver's License, dating from August 28, so the first week in November, I can pick up my new XD-45. Thank you for your reply.

One shop I talked to said it was a BATF regulation aobut the 90 day residency. I have been all over the United States, and have never heard of a residency requirement of 90 days to purchase a handgun. the only regulation or law that I know of is that you must be a resident of a state to purchase a handgun in that state.

Residency requirements very by state. Some do require you live in the state for a period of time with 90 days seeming an average. Unless your military, they also require you to obtain a drivers license within that state. Obtaining a resident CCW permit also requires you to obtain residency within that state. As for purchasing handguns, yes you must be a resident of the state your purchasing them in. Once again there can be a certain time requirement for that.

With all due respect, why do you believe I would be covered by LEOSA? Being a former deputy sheriff really endows me with no rights or abilities others do not share. I am a citizen, albeit one who has received more training than the average person, even though I would give anything to attend the training at Front Sight Resorts. One shop I talked to said it was a BATF regulation aobut the 90 day residency. I have been all over the United States, and have never heard of a residency requirement of 90 days to purchase a handgun. the only regulation or law that I know of is that you must be a resident of a state to purchase a handgun in that state. I could not expect to go to Oregon, let's say, and buy a handgun. Afte all, I got a pawn shop along the Mexican border shut down when I was a jailer for an Arizona county. DPS had brought in three illegals, and each one of them had a cheap .38 special pistol, with consecutive serial numbers. they had the receipts in their property, and I notified one of our detectives, who brought in an ATF agent. I heard later the pawn shop that sold the illegals the guns had been raided and closed down for many illegal sales. I have our lease agreement from our landlord that establishes my residency dating from August 1 instead of my Driver's License, dating from August 28, so the first week in November, I can pick up my new XD-45. Thank you for your reply.

You keep tossing around the phrase "As a former LEO", so I figured that you retired when you were given the chance. Now that you say that you don't qualify under LEOSA, I understand that you didn't retire. Thanks for clearing that up.

Not sure why you would "give anything" to attend Frontsight. As a "former LEO", the training you received is probably far better than what mere civilians are going to get at Frontsight. If you really want to go, you can "give" $1k or so, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to train you.

You happened to find 3 illegals that had consecutive serial numbers on their "cheap .38 special" pistols? You're one lucky guy. Mind picking some lottery numbers for me the next time I get a chance to play? I gotta put my boots on and get a shovel, it's gettig kinda thick.

What compelled you to take your lease agreement along wth you when you went gun shopping? It's not something folks normally do. The date of issue of your ID is just that, the date of issue. How would the gun shop know how long you lived in the state? Last time I renewed my DL, I got a new "date of issue". Does that mean that I just moved to the state? No, it means that I got a new DL on that date. It could be a duplicate ID for all they know.

I'm done, I think I've made my point.

gf

LOL good old Glock Fan never fails to drive his points home.. WOW that really sucks sorry to hear that. What i think he was saying was. He has his lease and by the lease he has been living there longer then the issue date on the DL. So I think he is saying so he can get his gun sooner he is going to take it with him. To show proof that he has been there the 90 days. Some states you need a letter from the land lord saying you have been his tenant from the set date then signed and Stamped with a Notary of public seal on the latter. I had to do that song and dance in Vermont when i moved there for a WHOLE MONTH.. Any way the good news is you can still get the gun YEAH... In the end that's all that matters right? It will make it all the more sweeter when you do get it.

:eek:fftopic:On a side note, I was under the impression that the states of Washington, Oregon, and California were still holding out on issuing CCWs. I'm glad to hear that this may have changed. We plan on moving to the Pacific Northwest in the next couple of years, by then maybe they will have reciprocity with Nevada and we might not have to pay to take the class again for a few years at least, that is, if they honor Nevada's CCWs.

Length of residency

I was proud to serve the people of my county, but I got into police work at an age when others were retiring. I had RK to make my eyeglasses lighter and make me able to function better in a fight, and ended up with nightblindness and 'stars'around lights at night. I was a jail officer when I discovered the pistols in the inmate property locker when I reported to work. This was a standard routine with me, to familiarize me with who was in our jail, what proerty they had, etc. The jailer I relieved couldn't have cared less, it was just a job to him, and I wanted to be the best. Having my lease agreement was a suggestion of one of the clerks, as one store wanted to use the issue date on my DL for residency, and my wife and I got our licenses almost a month after we moved. The clerk said I should get a copy of my lease, to show that I had rented our home on the first of August instead of the 28th. Makes sense to me. I did not tell them I moved to Washington on the 28th of August, they got that off my DL, and what I said didn't mean beans to them. I am thrilled to have found usacarry.com, and enjoy the byplay with all of you. However, if you keep implying that I am prevaricating, then I shall simply talk to others and ignore you. I would much rather be a friend than an adversary. How about it? As far as my feelings about Front Sight, I am positive their training far surpasses the training I got in the academy and through our department. I am going by the statements of those who have taken one or more of Front Sight's classes. Like hte former Marine whose two sons are going to be deployed to Iraq, and he sent them to Front Sight. I am convinced that Front Sight has the best training available, if you disagree, that is your privilege.

Last edited:
:eek:fftopic:On a side note, I was under the impression that the states of Washington, Oregon, and California were still holding out on issuing CCWs. I'm glad to hear that this may have changed. We plan on moving to the Pacific Northwest in the next couple of years, by then maybe they will have reciprocity with Nevada and we might not have to pay to take the class again for a few years at least, that is, if they honor Nevada's CCWs.

Oregon and Washington are both SHALL ISSUE states. In WA I went down to the county court house paid and with in about 2 weeks had my concealed pistol license CPL. Now some jurisdictions try to make you wait longer however the law says 30 days is the limit. Once you have a CPL there is no waiting period for purchasing a hand gun. I think it is 90 days to establish residency unless you are active duty military then it doesn't matter. No classes required for WA however they do require them in OR. WA has reciprocity with Idaho and Montana but very few states have reciprocity with OR.

Last edited:
I have our lease agreement from our landlord that establishes my residency dating from August 1 instead of my Driver's License......

I live in Michigan, and a resident of Michigan. I bet I could fly in AZ and get a lease on an apartment in a heartbeat. Does that mean I'm a resident of AZ as of that date?

I'm not sure if you frequent message forums with regularity, but I found this place to be a valuable find. Sometimes we have to be careful how we craft our questions, the typed word is often misunderstood.

A military ID or passport and a lease agreement from an office supply store would probably be enough to purchase a firearm. Some places go a step further if they suspect you're not a resident by asking for a utility bill (phone, cable, gas, etc). I guess you could say that all utilities were included with the rental or you live on base, but some of us just aren't that crafty. :wink:

If you play the part, they'll have no reason to suspect that you're new to the area.

gf

I was proud to serve the people of my county, but I got into police work at an age when others were retiring. I had RK to make my eyeglasses lighter and make me able to function better in a fight, and ended up with nightblindness and 'stars'around lights at night. I was a jail officer when I discovered the pistols in the inmate property locker when I reported to work. This was a standard routine with me, to familiarize me with who was in our jail, what proerty they had, etc. The jailer I relieved couldn't have cared less, it was just a job to him, and I wanted to be the best. Having my lease agreement was a suggestion of one of the clerks, as one store wanted to use the issue date on my DL for residency, and my wife and I got our licenses almost a month after we moved. The clerk said I should get a copy of my lease, to show that I had rented our home on the first of August instead of the 28th. Makes sense to me. I did not tell them I moved to Washington on the 28th of August, they got that off my DL, and what I said didn't mean beans to them. I am thrilled to have found usacarry.com, and enjoy the byplay with all of you. However, if you keep implying that I am prevaricating, then I shall simply talk to others and ignore you. I would much rather be a friend than an adversary. How about it? As far as my feelings about Front Sight, I am positive their training far surpasses the training I got in the academy and through our department. I am going by the statements of those who have taken one or more of Front Sight's classes. Like hte former Marine whose two sons are going to be deployed to Iraq, and he sent them to Front Sight. I am convinced that Front Sight has the best training available, if you disagree, that is your privilege.
Either you were a commissioned LEO or your weren't. A jailer or corrections officer is not a commissioned LEO. You also mentioned that you were required to take the AZ CCW class to get your permit. Well, an AZ POST certified LEO with a decade of experience is exempt from the AZ CCW training requirement. If you're not a seasoned LEO that is exempt from taking the CCW class from where you served as a LEO or qualify for the LEOSA then you never were a LEO in my opinion. Since you acknowledged that you were a jailer you never had enforcement powers in any State and thus never a LEO.

As for Front Sight. Piazza committed what I believe to be real estate fraud to generate the venture capital for his firearm training business. There was a federal lawsuit against Front Sight in the 9th Circuit for this. Unless he has made full restitution to every "first family" for the parcel of land they purchased he in my opinion is just a RKBA version of P.T. Barnum. I will never have anything to do with someone or an entity that will commit such fraud. I agree with Ted Nugent's philosophy of the RKBA however I will never commit any form of fraud to promote the RKBA.

Piazza was going to start a RKBA master planned community in southern Nevada near the Clark and Nye County lines. To my knowledge not one home has been built. It's just another pyramid scam.

Length of residency.

You probably could get an apartment in Arizona right away, and no one would even question you at a gun store. However, there would be a 5 day wait for a handgun, unless you had an Arizona CCW permit, in which case, you buy the gun and take it home that day. I started witht he Pinal County Sheriff's Dept in 1975 as a dispatcher, then transferred into the jail when we had a mass resignation by jail officers. I becamse a reserve deputy, going through the academy of 480 hours.. I served three six-month terms as a probationary deputy in Civil Dicision, the became a deputy in District two, the largest district in our county, I was promoted to corporal, and supervised the seven deputies in our district. I was the line supervisor and supervised the district of 986 sq. miles. Our sergeant was the admin supervisor and I was the line supervisor. I decided to have RK to reduce the weight of my eyeglasses, and had to leave the department and the Arizona City Fire Dept, due to the vision problems I had after the surgery. A buck and a half and a copy of my commission card mght have bought me a cup of coffee. I just read about the problems at Front Sight, and was shocked. I only have a little over a week and I can get my pistol. Does that answer your questions?

You probably could get an apartment in Arizona right away, and no one would even question you at a gun store. However, there would be a 5 day wait for a handgun, unless you had an Arizona CCW permit, in which case, you buy the gun and take it home that day. I started witht he Pinal County Sheriff's Dept in 1975 as a dispatcher, then transferred into the jail when we had a mass resignation by jail officers. I becamse a reserve deputy, going through the academy of 480 hours.. I served three six-month terms as a probationary deputy in Civil Dicision, the became a deputy in District two, the largest district in our county, I was promoted to corporal, and supervised the seven deputies in our district. I was the line supervisor and supervised the district of 986 sq. miles. Our sergeant was the admin supervisor and I was the line supervisor. I decided to have RK to reduce the weight of my eyeglasses, and had to leave the department and the Arizona City Fire Dept, due to the vision problems I had after the surgery. A buck and a half and a copy of my commission card mght have bought me a cup of coffee. I just read about the problems at Front Sight, and was shocked. I only have a little over a week and I can get my pistol. Does that answer your questions?
It's rare that someone is in two branches of public safety; law enforcement and fire fighting. Many LEOs cannot pass the physical tests to be a fire fighter. If I recall correctly AZ had no civilian CCW until the late 90s even for honorably retired LEOs.

As for why you can't take possession of your pistol, it's RCW 9.41.90(1)(c) not federal law that is keeping you from taking possession of your pistol. If you have a valid WA CPL, you should be exempt from any residency requirements under (1)(a) of the same code.

Last edited:
Officer Murphy, the Sheriff's Deputy we talked about on here a few weeks ago who was shot at the Terrible's RV Lakeside complex in Pahrump, Nevada, began his public service as a firefighter. You are correct, it's rare, but those who do both are in really good physical condition because of it. I believe that it took Officer Murphy very little time to recover from him wounds because he IS in such good physical condition.:yes4:

Officer Murphy, the Sheriff's Deputy we talked about on here a few weeks ago who was shot at the Terrible's RV Lakeside complex in Pahrump, Nevada, began his public service as a firefighter. You are correct, it's rare, but those who do both are in really good physical condition because of it. I believe that it took Officer Murphy very little time to recover from him wounds because he IS in such good physical condition.:yes4:
Was he doing both simultaneously? Typically the demands of one branch of public safety require you to leave the other. Fire fighting and law enforcement are both physically demanding. I find it highly doubtful that someone could do full time shifts in both branches of public safety simultaneously. Also keep in mind that public safety has mandatory overtime for both civilian and commissioned employees. Leaving one branch for the other is no big deal, but working both?

Length of residency

Pinal County, Arizona lies between Maricopa County, or Phoenix, and Pima County, or Tucson. It is a rural area, so we had to be triple trained. We were trained as LEOs, Fire Fighters and EMTs, because often our nearest backup might be up to an hour away, so we had to be able to take care of any situation. I was so intrigued by the fire fighting, I joined the Arizona City Volunteer Department. As a corporal for the SO, I carried a pager, and on the other hip, I carried a pager for the ACVFD. I had to give up both when I had RK surgery to reduce the weight of my eyeglasses, as I considered them to be a hazard. Unfortunately, I was left night blind and at night, I have 'stars' around light sources. Why anyone would want a copy of my commission card, I don't know, but it is academic, as the department collected it when I left. They have a thing, apparently, about former deputies still carrying around their official ID. They even tried to make me turn in my wallet badge that I paid $55 for. Since they would not reimburse me, I told them to to go see Helen Hunt about it. They called me at home ans said to bring my wallet badge in and I said, "Go to Helen Hunt for it." I have heard nothing from either the Lacey Police Dept or the Attorney General's office, and next Tuesday I get my new handgun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back