legal right to carry

Jayman720

I'm reasonably certain that this has been posted before, but I just got this from a friend of mine, and had to post it here.

This guy knows the law, and the cop does not. Impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPcvSsvEt2c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This guy kept his kool and "Stood His Ground" successfully. Most interesting. It could have got ugly quickly.

Very good video. Guy knows his stuff. My question is this... how many people go through this crap for OC?

How is it we see people arrested on COPS every day for refusing to provide ID?

OK, I am willing to take criticism from many and reply. Yes the "citizen" understands his rights but he is a "smarta__", pure and simple, just looking for more brute force than the politeness he ended up getting from the LEO, as he taped this interraction (which tells me this was a setup from the getgo). The LEO was doing what he is paid to do--people complained and were concerned about this "citizen"--I would think even if he was OC, he made a point of being sure people knew he was OC----there are ways to carry responsibly and there are ways to carry that make it more obvious, especially if you are OC and you interrracting with people as you walk the street. The LEO certainly was out of his league on legalities and the "citizen" was primed for legal confrontation up the kazoo. This was a setup pure and simple, the LEO did what he had to do, and this "citizen" got his video and moment of fame. Being right does not mean you are right. I would rather have the LEO do exactly what he did and act the way he did then let this pinhead have a complete walk by ignoring the complaints of other citizens. This "citizen", instead of being a "smarta__", could just as easily have been some kind of real nut case deserving of a look see and not a dumb legal confrontation that is wasting the time of the officer.

I'll never understand the mindset of the the people who think it's OK for a LEO to overstep his/her authority, unlawfully detain and lie to you as long as they're polite about it.

I'll never understand the mindset of the the people who think it's OK for a LEO to overstep his/her authority, unlawfully detain and lie to you as long as they're polite about it.

Exactly. Whether it's the polite cop in this video, or the azzole cop in Philly on a video circulated a while back, both cops are wrong.

I'm thinking that "most" people, including "some" cops, don't even have a clue about what their rights are to begin with. After watching this video, I have come to a few conclusions.

First, the individual being questioned obviously was prepared and most likely was looking for exactly what he got here. He knew exactly what he was doing. Now having said that, good for him. There is nothing wrong with what he did as far as I am concerned and it's a perfect example of the right kind of public discourse. If more of us did this, we could begin to swing the pendulum of unconstitutional gun regulation back the other way.

Now for the cop. It's hard to say whether he knows the specifics of the laws that to pertain to this encounter or if he just ignores them. Either way, I'm going to guess that he is just following his department's policies. He might also have been standing there during this encounter thinking; "Please mister, just show me your I.D., then both of us can get the hell out of here."

Personally, I try to give benefit of doubt to anyone I meet. With the police, it's the opposite. I have to know them pretty well before I trust them.

Probably going to be ostracized, but here goes, anyway.
Up front: I have a CHL and carry always. I know the laws covering gun control in Texas, and I check out and obey those of other states when I travel. And I am in favor of the Second Amendment. We don't love the laws that interfere, but there are some around that we have to contend with until they're changed.
Now. What is wrong with just being friendly to the officer? If he stopped you for a traffic violation, you'd show him your DL. He'd probably call in for wants & warrants on you, and if your were clear he'd probably cite you for the traffic violation or not, and let you go.
If you go to the market and write a check, they'll ask for your ID. You'd show it, and go on about your business. If you violate my space, and step on my toe even though its not really crowded, I'd normally cut you some slack and be cordial to you about it. "Don't worry about it." ... that sort of thing.
The officer has a duty to check out any citizen's complaint, no matter how asinine it is. He'd do the same for you. Why not try to understand his position?
What's wrong with: "Sure thing, Officer. I'm not a bad guy... I'm just exercising my right to carry a weapon. Here's my ID. Other than this, how's your day going, Sir?"
So what... if you don't have to according to some obscure finding in some other state? You'll more than likely be delayed a shorter amount of time if you're friendly, than if you handle the situation the way the smart aleck in the video handled things.
An unlawful stop? I don't think so. When an officer gets a MWAG call... no matter how asinine the call or caller be, he's got a "reasonable" reason to check you out.
I do understand what my "rights" are... but I also know what it's like to have to deal with a smarta$$ in the public arena, who just wants to "exercise another right"...
In most cases sugar is a lot better than vinegar. JMHO.
Be blessed,
Uncle Al

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back