Legal difference between SBR and Pistol

krimsingoste

I am interested in a SBR, but I was trying to fing out more details of the tax stam info. If it was built as a "pistol" AR does it still need to have the $200 tax stamp? Is the only difference the stock?

If you want to get into NFA your best bet is to go to the ATF website and read their provided information.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I am interested in a SBR, but I was trying to fing out more details of the tax stam info. If it was built as a "pistol" AR does it still need to have the $200 tax stamp? Is the only difference the stock?

Yes the only difference is the stock. A SBR is a short barreled rifle. The ATF defines a RIFLE as a weapon that is shoulder fired with a barrel of at least 16" and a OAL ( over All Length ) of at least 26". Thus in reality the ONLY difference between a ar15 pistol and a SBR is the ability to fire from the shoulder IE stock. Buy a pistol send in the form 1 when the stamp comes in have it engraved and buy a stock for it.

If you don't care about having the SBR look (but its a pretty sweet look), but rather just want to stabilize your pistol- here's a way to avoid the $200 and wait time

AR Pistol Stabilizing Brace

Link Removed

Yeah in the last year I have read, and read, and watched, and read. I know ALOT more. I do want to build a 300 pistol with the stabiizing brace. It seams like you can shoulder it pretty well, if need arises.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using USA Carry mobile app

Be careful sholdering the pistol stabilizing brace. The ATF has recently stated that thier position on the PSB is based solely on the owners intent and not on the design. If you install a PSB with the "intent" to sholder fire the weapon, it is no longer a pistol designed to be fired with one hand. They are still legal, but If you get caught in public or in videos or pictures online using the stabilizing brace in a manner not consistent with it's deign or the ATF approval letter you can be in serious trouble.

Per the ATF's open letter dated 16 Jan 15: "“[a]ny person who intends to use a handgun stabilizing brace as a shoulder stock on a pistol (having a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length or a smooth bore firearm with a barrel under 18 inches in length) must first file an ATF Form 1 and pay the applicable tax because the resulting firearm will be subject to all provisions of the NFA.”

See a link to the letter here: https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...s-prior-position-on-pistol-stabilizing-braces

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back