Left handed

alnmartinez

What are the best left handed handguns?

I like the Beretta PX4. The safety is ambidextrous, and you can switch the magazine release to either side. The only downside is the slide release is on the left.

Other than the Charter Arms South Paw and the Randall mirror image 1911 that's now a collector's item, I don't know of any handguns specifically made for us Lefties.

All the wheelguns still have the latch on the wrong side and all the semi autos still eject across our faces to the right.

You can learn to 'make do' with about anything on the market. It depends on whether or not there are factory or after market 'ambidextrous' parts available for it.

I'm left handed. What really bothers me is the slide release that is made for right handed folks. I found that H&K handguns all have a mag release and a slide release that is easy for us "lefties". I own a P30. M&P's also have the slide release on the right side for us and you can change out the mag release for use with the left hand. There is also a left handed version of the CZ-75.

Hello jeepgal. I was going to advise you getting the HK p30 then I re-read your post. You have one. I think you are referring to the long length of the slide lock..or is slide release "-). They do make a P30S It is totally ambi. Mag release, de-cocker..same place next to hammer and the slide lock on right side of the gun.
I have recently bought a FNX9 which is totally ambi. Mag release, safety and slide lock on both sides of the gun.
As a lefty I do like using my left hand index (pointer) finger for the mag release.
Hope this helps all my fellow lefties out there.
BTW Stag Arms make left handed ARs Also the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine can be changed to a left handed model by anyone.

Hello jeepgal. I was going to advise you getting the HK p30 then I re-read your post. You have one. I think you are referring to the long length of the slide lock..or is slide release "-). They do make a P30S It is totally ambi. Mag release, de-cocker..same place next to hammer and the slide lock on right side of the gun.
I have recently bought a FNX9 which is totally ambi. Mag release, safety and slide lock on both sides of the gun.
As a lefty I do like using my left hand index (pointer) finger for the mag release.
Hope this helps all my fellow lefties out there.
BTW Stag Arms make left handed ARs Also the Beretta CX4 Storm carbine can be changed to a left handed model by anyone.

What I was trying to say was that when the slide release is on the side for right handers, (to me that's the left side) I can't lock the slide without being a contortionist. The HK's and M&P's have them on both sides so that fills that role for me. I don't have a safety on my P30, nor do I want one, especially on a carry gun. Ambidextrous safeties make me nervous.

I am left-handed and carry the Charter Arms Southpaw; Springfield XD45compact, or the Kel-tec P3AT.

Not all HKs have slide releases on both sides though I think most can be changed over. The P30S (that must be what you have) does have it on both sides.
Yes I know the P30 does not have have a safety with the LEM trigger system which is a great carry piece. As far as an ambi safety, it should not bother you in a DA/SA set up because if you don't carry it "cocked and locked" like a 1911 you can just leave it de-cocked in the DA mode with the safety off. BTW I have a USP .40 and the slide release is on the left side of the gun >> "righty" position.

+1 on the Charter Arms Southpaw. 1911's were made to shoot left-handed. They were made for horse cavalry, who hold the reins in their right hand. With the addition of an ambi-safety you are good to go. All the other controls can be easily operated by the trigger finger.

+1 on the Charter Arms Southpaw. 1911's were made to shoot left-handed. They were made for horse cavalry, who hold the reins in their right hand. With the addition of an ambi-safety you are good to go. All the other controls can be easily operated by the trigger finger.

Actually, you have the cavalry thing backwards. The reins go in the LEFT (or BRIDLE hand as it is known in the early manuals of arms) hand. You steer with the left and fight with the right.

And if the 1911 was made to be used left handed, John Moses would have put the safety where a lefty could manipulate it AND the brass wouldn't be kicking out to the right across the shooter's face and body, it would be kicking to the LEFT away from the shooter. Browning wasn't a dummy and he never did anything half way.

Don't confuse the coincidental way the controls can be worked with the trigger finger when held in the left hand with intent of design. When in the right hand, there is less (if any) shifting of the grip to work the controls. Lefties just have learned to 'make do' better than right handers imagined we would.

Folks, there seems to be some confusion. He asked about LEFT HANDED guns. That means guns that were DESIGNED to be shot and manipulated with the left hand. There's only 1 on the market at the moment- the Charter Arms Southpaw.

A right handed gun that's easy to 'make do' with as a left handed shooter is NOT a left handed gun. A right handed gun that has a bunch of ambidextrous controls is NOT a left handed gun.

Actually, you have the cavalry thing backwards. The reins go in the LEFT (or BRIDLE hand as it is known in the early manuals of arms) hand. You steer with the left and fight with the right.

And if the 1911 was made to be used left handed, John Moses would have put the safety where a lefty could manipulate it AND the brass wouldn't be kicking out to the right across the shooter's face and body, it would be kicking to the LEFT away from the shooter. Browning wasn't a dummy and he never did anything half way.

Don't confuse the coincidental way the controls can be worked with the trigger finger when held in the left hand with intent of design. When in the right hand, there is less (if any) shifting of the grip to work the controls. Lefties just have learned to 'make do' better than right handers imagined we would.

I stand corrected. I've seen cops riding horses, but I don't know much about them.
Thanks jtg452, for the info

I don't know if any hand guns are left handed. How does one differentiate? Do they even have hands?

...Sorry, couldn't resist! :sarcastic:

With a semi auto, it's easy to tell if it was built with the intention of being used by a left handed shooter. Ejection would be to the LEFT, away from the shooter, rather than to the right, where the spent case is going across the shooter's field of vision, face and body. I know I've been hit repeatedly in the hat brim, glasses, right ear muff and even had a piece of 9mm brass from a Combat Commander land behind my right ear like a pencil once while using plugs instead of muffs.

left handed

The S&W M&P 9mm, 40 cal, and 45 all have safety and slide release on both sides. Was going to buy the 45 when I ran across the Kimber I have now. I put bobbed ambitious safety on it to clear the Crimson laser grips and I use my trigger finger for slide and mag release. Im faster using my trigger finger than a right handed person is using their thumb.

I carry either my Kimber Pro CDP or my Wilson Combat Protector which are of course 1911's. Both have ambi safeties. They may not be true "left handed" guns but after thousands of rounds shot, it doesn't matter a whole lot. I'm so used to shooting these weapons I don't feel handicapped in the least though I'm a lefty.

Ya "fiddle" with weapons long enough, you tend to forget the inconvenience of the right hand orientation after a while.

(Not to mention taking hot brass down one's neck in the prone position with the M-14.)

Never really "noticed" the brass coming across in front of me...... have had a couple get into inconvenient spaces.... like the .380 that managed to lodge behind my safety glasses. How that happened, I'll never know. Fastest "shed the glasses" manouver I ever made!

Had a .32 auto a LONG time ago that managed to drop every spent piece of brass exactly on the top of my head. Got rid of that sucker way back.... probably around '85 or so.

If you think about it, however, if one is using the standard two handed stance.... there would only be a slight difference as to whether the brass flew left or right anyway.... as the weapon is near center in front of you to begin with.

Ain't no big thing.... ruck up. Move out.

Oh, I do wish Fobus (or similar maker) would make more leftie paddle holsters. I like them but don't have one that fits my autos. Lefties, at any rate.

"... and if the world would simply comply with MY wishes.... what a wonderful place it would be." (LOL!) (Well, for ME anyway!)

GG

1911 ambi safety and a smith model 36 as a BUG. Our biggest problems are the holsters and finding them so we can check them out in person. We can order them but thats like buying shoes on the internet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back