Leaving a firearm in vehicle while at work

walther380

Im in Florida and was wondering what the law was about leaving a firearm in my truck while Im at work. Does the company I work for have authority to keep me from having a firearm on their property while it is in my own vehicle? I searched but I couldn't find any hard proof to back up statements people made.

Thanks

I too have wondered this topic, my workplace has a sign saying no weapons of any kind in the building but nothing about the parking lot, when in doubt unload it and place it in the trunk as you would if transporting the firearm, also I would ask your employer about their parking lot policies if they are the same as in building. I hope this helps you.

Im in Florida and was wondering what the law was about leaving a firearm in my truck while Im at work. Does the company I work for have authority to keep me from having a firearm on their property while it is in my own vehicle? I searched but I couldn't find any hard proof to back up statements people made.

Thanks

Florida's "Castle Doctrine", which includes your personal vehicle, trumps any policies that your employer may have concerning firearms in their parking lot. They can not prevent you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle (Disney vs gun owners).

The reason I am asking is because we just had a company wide meeting about policies and procedures. No firearms policy came up and they said firearms are not allowed on company property. I knew there was a law somewhere saying that they cant keep you from keeping a firearm in your personal vehicle. The stupid thing is I work for a jewelry company and we are not in the best of neighborhoods. I see prostitution every day and drug deals are once a week or more. There are cameras inside and out but that will only allow your loved ones to see what happened to you when you dont come home one day.

Found the statute. The Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate 2(d)

2. Any agreement by an employee or a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from keeping a legal firearm locked inside or locked to a private motor vehicle in a parking lot when such firearm is kept for lawful purposes.
(d) No public or private employer shall prohibit or attempt to prevent any customer, employee, or invitee from entering the parking lot of the employer’s place of business because the customer’s, employee’s, or invitee’s private motor vehicle contains a legal firearm being carried for lawful purposes, that is out of sight within the customer’s, employee’s, or invitee’s private motor vehicle.
(e) No public or private employer may terminate the employment of or otherwise discriminate against an employee, or expel a customer or invitee for exercising his or her constitutional right to keep and bear arms or for exercising the right of self-defense as long as a firearm is never exhibited on company property for any reason other than lawful defensive purposes.

No exemptions apply to me. Also I dont see where it says I "need " a license to keep a firearm in my vehicle. What if I was going hunting or to the range? Or simply bought a firearm before I went to work(like I did with my last pistol purchase)

No exemptions apply to me.
Ok.

Also I dont see where it says I "need " a license to keep a firearm in my vehicle.
Fla. Stat. § 790.251(1)(c) provides "'Employee' means any person who possesses a valid license issued pursuant to s. 790.06 and . . . ." Therefore, in order to be considered an "employee" for the purposes of Fla. Stat. § 790.251 and be covered under the law authorizing an "employee" to keep a firearm in his or her vehicle notwithstanding an employer's policy, a person must have a valid CWFL. This statute does not protect nonlicensed individuals from employer policies.

What if I was going hunting or to the range? Or simply bought a firearm before I went to work(like I did with my last pistol purchase)
That's fine. However, if you do not have a CWFL, you would not be protected under Fla. Stat. § 790.251 and would be subject to any policies your employer may have.

I've never been a fan of places that have rules that don't allow employees to keep weapons in their cars on company property. Sure, the larking lot is company property, but an employee's vehicle isn't, and no company should be able to fire an employee over what they keep in THEIR vehicle.

I have been doin it for years. You don't tell nobody that you got it. Now there is some places if you work at you can't. I forgot now but I'm sure someone can beat me to looking it up.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back