Lead Ammo Ban for National Parks

ricbak

The National Park Service has announced its intention to ban traditional ammunition containing lead in all its parks. The move would needlessly push hunters to use more costly ammo like tungsten, copper, and steel. The restrictions, set to take affect by the end of 2010, were announced without regard to science or soliciting feedback from sportsmens’ groups.

"The NPS announcement demonstrates either complete ignorance or complete arrogance as to the effect that this policy will have on hunters,” says Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “There is no science to support NPS' contention that the use of lead ammunition in hunting is causing environmental contamination, having a negative effect on wildlife, or posing a threat to the health of visitors or park staff. This policy, and the lack of communication in advance with the sportsmen's community, is a deliberate attempt to reduce the number of people who will want to hunt in the 60 parks that are open to hunting. This plays directly into the hands of radical anti-hunting organizations like the Humane Society of the US which is advocating that hunters be banned from using lead ammunition."

The NRA will continue to be a voice of opposition against this unnecessary action and is committed to protecting the rights of hunters to use the ammo that is best suited for their hunting needs and budget.

Link Removed

The Lead Ammunition Ban just won't die.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is so stupid... how many hundreds of years has lead been used for hunting??? and if there is nothing showing that it hurts the environment by now then that means it isn't hurting it!

Here's a conundrum or enigma for you. If I'm legally carrying concealed in a National Park with my CCW and shoot a bad guy (BG) with a jacketed hollow point with a lead core will I have violated the new "no lead" rule or does it only apply to hunters? Also, if I'm in Grand Canyon National Park, which is in the re-established range of the California Condor, would I have established a de-facto threat to any Condors that may have been relishing the BG's carcass? :no:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back