Last night I had to draw my weapon to defend myself...

hwhite1725

Last night I had to draw my weapon to defend myself. I was literally a breath away from squeezing the trigger when the guy turned and ran but it was really close.

I live in an apartment complex in what I consider to be a town on a downward spiral. The last couple of years the population has exploded and the crime rate has gone way up but I had never experienced any of the crime first hand. For clarity's sake I have made a digital version of the map I drew for the local PD when I made the report.

Last night I arrived home after my evening class at approximately 21:50 (9:50pm). After eating a late dinner I went out to walk me dogs. I have two dogs, a pure-bred Beagle (13th generation rabbit-dog) and an pure-bred ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier. I usually take the APBT first because if I don't she'll get mad and chew up my shoes :)

I started out on our standard route (see image) and was going along fine. When I reached the back side of the circle I noticed what appeared to be a Hispanic male (lookout #1) standing on the corner opposite me smoking a cigarette. I think it was the way he kept staring at me that really shifted me from yellow to orange. Keeping him visible out of the corner of my eye, I continued down the path until my dog froze and began growling. Fortunately for me, my dog is very attune to both my feelings and the territory she considers "home turf" and I'm sure she could tell something was up. My focus snapped forward as a second Hispanic male stepped out from between two cars in front of me about 10 yards away with a very obvious pipe in his hand. What happened next only took about a second but it sure felt like longer. My left hand had a death-grip on the leash and with my right I swept back my jacket, drew my pistol and brought it up snapping off the safety in the process. There wasn't much thinking involved, just reaction. However, as I was raising my pistol, my would-be attacker must have realized what I was doing as he dropped the pipe, turned 180 degrees and took off in the opposite direction while yelling for his accomplices. I saw a third male (lookout #2) running with them as they ran into the woods that surrounds the complex.

After a couple seconds I snapped the safety back on and lowered my gun (I didn't reholster for about a minute until I was sure they were gone), pulled out my cell phone and dialed the local PD. While I was waiting for them to arrive I noticed that the car next to where the second guy had emerged had a smashed window and there was glass on the ground. Apparently I had interrupted either a car theft or just a vehicle break-in. Well, a couple minutes later the local PD showed up and I explained everything that had happened, as well as drew them a picture. They said there have been a lot of vehicle thefts in my area and that they would look into it (they did bag the pipe for fingerprints). Needless to say I didn't get back home until almost midnight and after taking the beagle on his walk (alternate route in the other direction :) ) finally got to bed around 00:45 (12:45am).

I have since gone over everything in my head many times, and have come to a couple of conclusions. First, even big dogs won't scare off everybody trying to do you harm. Second, avoid dark secluded areas when walking your dog if at all possible. Finally, there absolutely is no substitute for good training and vigilance.

CONFRONT.jpg

dog3.jpg

dog1.jpg

Glad to hear all is well. Stay safe. Did the police have anything to say about you drawing your weapon? Did they ask to see your permit? Again....I am glad to hear things went your way.

have since gone over everything in my head many times, and have come to a couple of conclusions. First, even big dogs won't scare off everybody trying to do you harm. Second, avoid dark secluded areas when walking your dog if at all possible. Finally, there absolutely is no substitute for good training and vigilance.

And also never leave home without you weapon. Glade to here you are safe. It is a dangerous world out there.

That's pretty scary stuff. I am glad you are OK, and also that you were the one to interupt the crime in progress. It could have been one of your neighbors, or someone else who walked into that, unarmed. Be safe out there.

Glad to hear you and your doggies are alright. That sure is scary stuff. Good on you for being ready for anything, both carrying and being trained. :y:

That got my heart pumpin'. I looked at your pile of firearms. You didn't mention which you were packing, other than flipping off the safety which leads me to believe it was a 1911. I'm glad you were keeping your eyes open, knew what to do and reacted so decisively. Bravo! I'm hoping you let your neighbors know about what happened and encourage them to walk in pairs and/or take that next step and arm themselves legally like you. Bravo!

Looks like a place I lived in Prince William. Glad you kept your cool and didn't start pouring rounds on the guy. Feel confident that you did the right thing. ;)

Glad everything turned out well. Just like a BG to bring a pipe to a gunfight. Im sure he ended up cleaning his underwear:icon_wink: way to keep up your awareness. keep that up should you encounter those guys again they will probably have more than a pipe if they stay in the same profession

Glad you came out safe. More, I'm glad you had the resources to ensure you came out safe! If that had happened to me here in New Jersey, I'd have had to trust that Fido chewing on his manhood would have done the trick, except perhaps at the dog's peril. Happily you didn't need to take that option and you were able to protect the both of you.

Last edited:
Scary story glad you are ok, looks like you saved yourself from the very least a bad beating. Good job staying on your toes. Glad to know you are safe.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back