LaserMax or Crimson Trace

bgzoots

So i have a XD40 as my primary CC, and want to get laser sights. I would like to know what people think of LaserMax or Crimson Trace?

I am a big fan of Crimson Trace. Their product is well engineered, ergonomically designed and manufactured to high standards. Their customer service is on par with S&W, the best in the firearm business.

Technically, it's nice to have windage and elevation adjustments, even though I've not needed to adjust them yet. I'm not a fan of replacing the guide rod as an approach. Early on it was reported that LaserMax had problems with battery caps coming loose and disabling the weapon. If my LaserGrip fails, the weapon still works aiming with the iron sights.

LaserMax must think the grip approach must have merits since I believe they are working on a configuration similar to LaserGrisps that do not violate the Crimson Trace patent.

I had Crimson Trace laser grips for a Ruger P94 I once owned; even though I have never used LaserMax, I think you should give Crimson Trace a try.

I have both on my carry guns - presently I have Crimson Trace in my snubbies and Lasermax in my Glocks.

I switched from Crimson Trace to Lasermax on my Glocks because I didn't like the feel of the grip with them on, and I find I have better control and can make faster follow-ups with the Lasermax units installed. I've never had a failure of any kind.

Regarding Crimson Trace, I've always found them to be reliable and they've never failed. I think they're great on snubbies; my wife uses them on hers, also. I don't know how they'd feel on an XD. But as far as reliability goes, there is absolutely no issue.

Just my opinion based on my personal experience with both makes. Your opinion may vary.

My wife and I have CT's on our Glock 19, Tomcat, and kel-tec's with no problems. The glock is an older one without a rail. All work fine and am really satisfied.

Be a sheep dog not sheep!

I switched from Crimson Trace to Lasermax on my Glocks.

I installed a Lasermax on a Glock. It worked OK but the extended slide lock switch tended to operate in my C-Tac holster. I felt the battery would most likely die quickly if I carried it, so I returned it to the vendor.

Another drawback to the Lasermax, in my opinion, is that one must consciously turn it on when drawing in a potentially stressful situation. Does the Crimson Trace activate automatically by gripping it?

I installed a Lasermax on a Glock. It worked OK but the extended slide lock switch tended to operate in my C-Tac holster. I felt the battery would most likely die quickly if I carried it, so I returned it to the vendor.

Another drawback to the Lasermax, in my opinion, is that one must consciously turn it on when drawing in a potentially stressful situation. Does the Crimson Trace activate automatically by gripping it?

CT automatically turns on when the hand grips the gun, at least on the GLOCK model.

I've got CT laser "grips" on my Glock 19 & SIG 228. The Glock has a momentary switch on the backstrap. There is no on-off switch so the the laser is "on" whenever the gun is held. The Glock's batteries are on the sides which makes the grip very wide. The SIG has a momentary switch on the left grip that allows the user to press or release the button while still maintaining a firm grip on the weapon. The SIG also has a small on-off switch at the bottom of the backstrap. The disadvantage of the CT "grip" lasers is that the beam emits from the right side...so it's aim-point varies significantly with distance from the target. The LaserMax system replaces the recoil spring guide so the beam is inline with the bore at any distance. An auto-ranging bullet drop-adjusting microchip would sure be a nice option...

Milspec

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back