laser sights ????????????????

laser sights for your personal cc gun ????????????

• yes I use laser sights on my cc gun

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • No I do not use laser sights on my cc gun

Votes: 64 52.0%
  • Yes I do and would recomend them to others to use on there cc gun

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • No I do not and would not recomend someone to use them on there cc gun

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters

jonmeskeete

I would like to take a pole of the knowledgeable members of this fine site as to laser sights on a cc gun.:unsure:

Finished sighting in a laser on my Walther tonight. After sighting in, handed it to two friends with very little firearm experience(with proper instruction) and they were able to keep much tighter groups, learn how their stance affects their aim, and shoot with confidence.

If you pick a reliable laser, I think it could save your bacon in a tight situation.

I don't have one yet but I am planning on getting one. My problem is more related to old age and eyesight.

I do not at this time have any with laser sights but I would like to get some on at least one of my handguns. I am no expert but from what I have read green might be better than red. Perhaps someone else can shed some light, no pun intended, on the subject.

The human eye sees green much more readily than red, thus a green dot will be much brighter even at the same milliwatt rating of a red laser. The down-side is the size or cost. You can't make a green laser without using more materials, and those extra materials take up room.

So, if you get a green laser that is small, it will be expensive. If it is cheap(er), it's gonna be a bit large.
I've not found a green one that fit my budget and was still small enough for my liking, so I went with red even through I'd prefer green.

remember in low light conditions having a laser or a flash light might give away your position, and lead to your death. i would only recomend it if you have bad eye sight. Ps it looks cool, but a good set of night sights will do the job cheaper and better.

doming83 is correct, as far as I am concerned. Plus the perp will know that all one has to do is stay away from that projected dot and he/she won't get hit with bullets. Too much complication for me, plus its one more step to look for the laser while aiming. I'd rather just draw and fire.

A laser sight, coupled with either a gun light or flashlight and night sights are a good thing. Go ahead and get them. However just remember that relying on those things is no substitute for proper technique. Hitting the target is something you should be able to do whether you have a laser sight or not.

I used to have bad eye sight both up close and at a distance. I had Lasik eye surgery in January of this year that corrected the distance vision. The problem is that in order to shoot now I have to ware glasses that correct my up close vision which makes any target in the distance blurry. I shoot better with my glasses on and my sights clear than I do with my sights blurry and the target clear. Since I only wear my glasses 10 - 20% of the time I am more likely to have to defend myself without them. I think this is where laser sights would be of benefit to me.

laser use

Pratical gun handling, target aquisition, and first round firing, should be without the laser on. The laser aids in quickly reaiming without sighting across the gun. You should not depend on the laser in a critical situation. They do aid in the learning process. Personally, I see no use for one on a semi-auto, but a short revolver has merit. Nothing beats practice and training.

I think I can point and shoot well enough w/o the laser. I put the tritium sights on, and feel that's all I need

I'm a bit confused about something here. I have seen several people say that laser sights would give away your position. Could anyone elaborate? I don't see how that would be possible. I know that on TV, whenever someone is using a laser sight, you can see the beam from the side. However, I'm not sure that that is how a laser actually works. I thought that the whole point of the laser was that it focuses the light-the only time you see it is when it reflects off of something, right? I remember when laser pointers first became available, kids would play with them in the movie theaters and it never left that tell tale trace back to their seat. I mean, sure, if you are in a smoke filled room or it's foggy, you could see the beam from the side. But in your house?:confused:

And sure, the perp could see the dot, but that just tells him that you are aware of his presence and prepared to do something about it. In more cases than not, this would probably just convince him to go trouble someone else, no?

I'm a bit confused about something here. I have seen several people say that laser sights would give away your position. Could anyone elaborate? I don't see how that would be possible

That particular argument against a laser is the weakest of the bunch. While some of the lasers are indeed strong enough to leave a slight visible trail through your average household air, they are very uncommon and very expensive. Your average gun laser will not show up in mid-air unless your house is filled with theatrical fog for Halloween.

Also, this argument assumes some sort of tactical advantage for being "invisible." While nice in theory, it's not likely to be the case that you are 100% undetected. In most encounters with bad guys, you are already a target. If your laser is not already on, then you are in no worse a position than not having one. If it is on and you are ready, it could help.

Get a free DVD from Crimson Trace: Free Laser Sight DVD | Crimson Trace Laser Grips
I have used them for years and recommend them highly. Yes, green is easier to see than red but these let me use 99% of available holsters. The laser doesn't really show like on TV unless there is a lot of dust or gunsmoke in the air. The cops I know who use them and prison guards (seven prisons in my area and I knew some at Folsom back in CA) I've asked are highly in favor as the laser tends to make the attacker lose interest. Nothing is 100% but you have the immediate option of using it or not with Crimson Trace.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back