Las Vegas blue card?

gdcleanfun

Banned
Because I received my CCW from Nye county, I'm wondering if I need to apply for Las Vegas' card so that I might carry while I travel or shop in that city? I looked on this site and I cannot find if this question has already been answered. If so, can someone send me in that direction? Thanks.

I' m also a resident of Nye County. You do not have to have a blue card to carry in Las Vegas. They used to have a requirement to get a blue card if you were going to be in the city 24 hours or longer. They have changed that to 60 days residency.

12.04.200 Registration of firearms capable of being concealed.
It is unlawful for any person with at least sixty days of residency in the county to own or have in his possession, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, a pistol or other firearm capable of being concealed, unless the same has first been registered with the sheriff or with a police department of any of the incorporated cities of Clark County. (Ord. 3571 § 4, 2007: Ord. 242 § 20, 1965)

I've got blue cards for all of the handguns on my permit. I figure that it wouldn't hurt to have them, and if you've got semi-auto pistols on your permit, they already have the info for your gun.

JMHO

gf

If you don't have a Clark County address on your license and are staying for less than 60 days, the execrable blue card madness does not apply to you.

I've got blue cards for all of the handguns on my permit. I figure that it wouldn't hurt to have them, and if you've got semi-auto pistols on your permit, they already have the info for your gun.

The only difference is that with a blue card, your gun is registered and they have the serial number. My permit only lists the make and caliber.

No.

That was invalidated by SB92 as of the 2007 legislative session which amended NRS 244.364, 268.418 and 269.222 which limit the authority of counties, incorporated cities and unincorporated towns with respect to firearms. As of January 1, 2008 you only need a Clark County blue card if one of the following criteria is met;
  • You are a resident of Clark County for over 60 contiguous days after such time has elapsed all concealable firearms owned must be registered with LVMPD.
  • You are a Clark County resident and acquire another concealable firearm. You must register the newly acquired concealable firearm within 72 hours with LVMPD.
This is also the same bill that invalidated all other city, county and unincorporated town codes with respect to firearms. The North Las Vegas and Boulder City codes pertaining to firearms no longer apply.

Clark County FFLs should give a Nevada purchaser who residents outside of Clark County the option of filing out the LVMPD paperwork and getting a blue card. The FFL I deal with does.

To my knowledge the Clark County Commission has not amended the Clark County code. State law trumps county code here so regardless of what Lexis-Nexus says now, NRS 244.364, 268.418 and 269.222 now apply.

As for the blue cards and getting your NV CFP. LVMPD no longer requires you to present your blue cards to apply for a CFP. I applied for my renewal middle of last October. The clerk behind the glass did not ask for my blue cards. I had them with me just in case. Once LVMPD runs out of copies of their version of the NV CFP application, they will be using the State wide standardized application that was designed primarily by Douglas County Undersheriff Howell. It does not have a space for firearm serial numbers anywhere. It's strictly make, model, caliber, semi-auto or revolver. I will clarify this with Sgt Johnson of the LVMPD CCW Detail if it is ok for Clark County NV CFP instructors to have applicants qualify with legally borrowed or loaner firearms. I believe it now is.

Last edited:
I certainly agree with netentity.

However, some officials in Clark County refuse to acknowledge that SB-92 preempted everything but registration.

That said, the NRA is working the issue.

I certainly agree with netentity.

However, some officials in Clark County refuse to acknowledge that SB-92 preempted everything but registration.

That said, the NRA is working the issue.

I was wondering about that. I thought that the preemption law did away with that.

I was wondering about that. I thought that the preemption law did away with that.
NRS 244.364, 268.418 and 269.222 are Nevada's preemption statutes.

Sheriff Gillespie has been putting up a political fight to keep concealable firearm registration in place as they would lose a portion of the LVMPD operating budget appropriated for firearm registration. This is why the grandfather clause for concealable firearm registration still exists. If Jerry Keller was still Sheriff, we'd probably see Clark County handgun registration done away with last legislative session as he took a much more liberal interpretation of it for visitors while he was in office.

You have a similar grandfather clause in your State preemption law under Link Removed. This is why you have an assault weapon ban in Gary IN.

Last edited:
I will clarify this with Sgt Johnson of the LVMPD CCW Detail if it is ok for Clark County NV CFP instructors to have applicants qualify with legally borrowed or loaner firearms. I believe it now is.

Netentity, I was told at my renewal class in Dec 2008 that now applicants can qualify with rental guns, so long as they are the identical make, model and caliber as the carry gun.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back