Ladies - share your holster faves and carry tips

imadragonkeeper

As more and more women are getting their carry permits and wanting to carry on a daily basis I thought it would be great to start another thread where we can share our trials and tribulations as women that are (mostly) stuck with carrying in holsters traditionally made for men.

There are so many new brands and styles out there sometimes it can be difficult to even decide which to try first so maybe we can help each other narrow down our choices.

I currently carry 2 very different pistols very successfully with an IWB (inside the waistband) holster. I have tried Crossbreed, Kholster and Alien Gear - all are similar enough except for price that really any of them would be a good choice. I do have to say that Crossbreed has (IMO) has the best belt clips - they fit onto my belts the best. The other companies use one that is slightly tapered and very tight. I have ripped my nails trying to get them off until I learned how to grab them. I carry a 3" Kimbet 1911 and a Springfield XDs 3.3 currently. For the last year previous I carried a Ruger SR9c every day, all the time. I find this method of carry to be comfortable and easily concealable. My husband often couldn't tell if I was carrying (even though he knew I was 99% of the time!).

Recently I have been seeing a lot of mention of a Holster called the "Flashbang" so I decided to look it up. The Flashbang was designed by a female LEO specifically for women to carry concealed. It clips to the center of your bra and tucks the pistol partially up under "the girls". They don't make one for the SR9c (mostly smaller "pocket" or sub-compact types, also a few compacts but they add more brands every day) but I had just gotten my 1911 so I decided to buy one and try it out. I have not worn it in public yet as I'm still getting used to it but I have worn it around the house for hours at a time and it is actually pretty comfortable - even with my guns beavertail potentially poking me. The hardest part is figuring out which of my bras seem to work the best with it. I will tell you I am pretty well endowed which helps me conceal this larger gun under there. A smaller gun would be a piece of cake even for a less "ample" person. I'm thinking about getting one for my XDs since it's thinner than my Kimber and has less protrusions (no beavertail!). I think this method of carry will be a great summer carry option (once I work out the kinks) for wearing with a little flirty sundress of a fitted tank and shorts where IWB wouldn't work well.

I've tried a Fobus pancake holster and the pancake that came with my XDs and while this method worked alright for me when I wore a heavy winter coat I felt like I was headed for the OK Corral. I have curvy hips and they caused the gun to stick way out on me whereas this was my husbands preferred method of carry because he didn't like IWB carry.

So tell me and the other ladies on here - what have you tried? Which method do you prefer? Any tips/tricks you may have discovered for concealment on a woman's more curvy figure? Please share!

You're right about the Flashbang. It's made for well-endowed women.
I've also tried the belly band from the Well Armed Woman. Not for muffin tops. If not for that, I'd like it.
I've used the Betty IWB and like it, but normally use a different one with an extra mag holder. I also use an IWB Sticky Holster and I like that one too.
But most of the time, I just use a pocket holster with my LCP.
Any of these work with all but the tightest of shirts.

I'm still struggling to find something that works for me. I have an OWB I really like but OWB is so hard to conceal, especially now that we're getting into the warmer months. I find IWB extremely uncomfortable with my figure. I just ordered an ankle holster from Femme Fatale and am very curious to try it. It's all about trade-offs -- ankle is the easiest to conceal but the hardest to draw. I'd love to hear other ideas!

Read the story at the link. Follow the directions at the end to send for the book, free in pdf file by return email. The book contains many of the lessons I've learned over many years of carrying, as well as practical drills that will make you better able to defend yourself and loved ones. Geared toward women primarily, but many men have read and enjoyed this book as well. It's not long, and it is free. Take the challenge and read it. :)

The Man I Might Have Killed | The Price of Liberty
By Susan Callaway
Certified NRA instructor for handguns, self defense, CRSO

The dedication page of my new book reads: To the man I had to shoot to save my life.

Yes, you read it right. I’ve already had to shoot a man in self defense. Here’s the story.

I am a petite woman (5' 115 lbs) and am thinking about a Bersa BP9CC based on the slight recoil and compact size. However I am struggling with holsters. What is a good holster for a woman that wears "tighter" clothes and dresses. I have two CC purses but find that getting my gun out in an emergency is rather awkward. Any suggestions?

I am a petite woman (5' 115 lbs) and am thinking about a Bersa BP9CC based on the slight recoil and compact size. However I am struggling with holsters. What is a good holster for a woman that wears "tighter" clothes and dresses. I have two CC purses but find that getting my gun out in an emergency is rather awkward. Any suggestions?

I'm about your weight, and found that tighter pants are fine, but tight shirts are not an option. With a small enough gun, fitted will work. I've got a new, not out yet femme fatale ankle holster that I really love for long dresses, and their thigh holster for shorter dresses and both work great. Not the best draw, but for me preferable to purse carry (not a fan unless it's the only alternative to leaving it at home). On the belt I favor the Alien Gear holster, which conceals beautifully, and I want a belly band.

I wound up buying a bunch of cover garments, like vests, light sweaters, and button up shirts left open and wear them over my old clothes. Now that it's summer it'll be loose and lightweight shirts, and I'll stick to my smaller Shield rather than my Rhino revolver.

^^What she said.^^

An ankle holster will also work if the legs of your pants are wide enough. I have the belly band, but again, tight shirts are not really an option with it. And I'm thinking because of your size, the Flashbang or Marilyn bra holster are probably not an option either unless most of your weight is in your bust.

Thank you for your input ladies, it's very much appreciated. When I said "petite" I mean every major area except my hips and backside. ;-) The only advantage to me putting a CW in my bra would be I might just look like I need a bra! :))
Seriously, I like the suggestions you have made and am going to check into these holsters, and wearing a looser shirt/blouse. Thank you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back