Ladies Only

OldOwl

I know a woman who lost her husband a few years ago, and she lives alone with her little dog in a big house. She wants to buy a hand gun. She specified she wants a .22. I want her to get a revolver for simplicity's sake. I don't think six shots from a .22 is a good idea for self defense. I'm thinking a little bigger. What do you ladies shoot, and remember her age. I know there are women who can shoot anything, but this woman has never owned a handgun, only fired a .22 rifle and 20 Ga. shotgun many years ago.

Thanks for any input.

I know a woman who lost her husband a few years ago, and she lives alone with her little dog in a big house. She wants to buy a hand gun. She specified she wants a .22. I want her to get a revolver for simplicity's sake. I don't think six shots from a .22 is a good idea for self defense. I'm thinking a little bigger. What do you ladies shoot, and remember her age. I know there are women who can shoot anything, but this woman has never owned a handgun, only fired a .22 rifle and 20 Ga. shotgun many years ago.

Thanks for any input.

You don't specify the lady's age, so I'm sorry but I have no idea of her abilities. That said, she could be 80 and strong as an ox. j/k :lol: I'm 55 and a former widow, I shoot a .22, a .38, a 9 mm, and a .45, a single barrel shotgun and many rifles. My normal cc is my 9mm. Maybe you can take her to a place like the Bass Pro Shops and she can try out many types of firearms at their range to find the one that's most comfortable in her hands. Good luck to the both of you.

my wife handles her 38 spl very well and she has a hard time with my autos when she tries to rack the slide, so yes a revolver for simplicity and stopping power get her a 38.

Staying with a revolver is a good idea. The best thing to do is to take her out shooting letting her try different caliber revolvers and find out which one will be comfortable for her to shoot. If she is adamant on having a 22 then try to get her to buy a 22 mag revolver. A little more penetration will go a long way in self defense.

My wife carries a DBL action only Smith and Wesson 38 specilal. She owns a baby Glock but she also has trouble racking the slide. With lighter loads, stay away from +P, the recoil is manageable. For some older women with weak hand strength the trigger pull can be a little hard but a good gun smith can lighten it up a little.

My carry gun is a revolver, S&W 60ls.. I like it because it is easy to conceal and light to carry with its smooth grip. It also doesn't jam (unlike my G26). It will do both 38 and 357 (I like having that choice). Many of my friends do not like the 357 as much in it as the recoil with that cal is stronger than they like to handle.

That said, she might like a semi-auto, perhaps a 9mm?

I suggest you bring her to a range and have her try out a variety of guns and calibers. By trying out different kinds of guns, she will then be more informed in making her decision.

- Ceicei

I could have sworn I stated that she was 70ish and small. An auto is out of the question. I have to train and test her so she can pull a permit is this dumb arse state we live in, and don't want to be responsible for her hurting herself. Though she'll have to learn the mechanics of an auto, I don't think it prudent for her to own one. In my mind as a trainer, there are too many ways that a round can hide in an auto loader from somebody "Of established maturity". I don't see her practicing with it once she gets the gun, unless I drag her to a range. Her daughter and grand daughter have health issues, and live a short distance away. She's been taking care of sick family members since I've known her, and now with her husband gone, and a rash of break ins, she's scared to stay alone. It was her daughters idea for her to get a gun, and she agreed, and it's kind of my duty to step up to the plate and help out.

Probably the best idea is to find out who at the club owns several revolvers and arrange for her to try them out.

Thanks for the input all.

my wife can stand toe to toe w/ anyone when it comes to firing my .357. she can also handle my .45's but is more comfortable w/ the revolver. i agree on the revolver for simplicity. as far as being able to handle, that is up to her, how comfortable she is, and training so she can handle the larger calibers. good luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back