Ladies, How Do You Carry?

I carry my S&W 642 Airweight Talo

in my waistband. I carry ALL OF THE TIME. Don't you?

I use a tan leather IWB (inside waist band) holster made by DeSantis.

I'm very partial to this holster because this is what I sell in my business and is what I recommend to my customers as well.

I've not seen it mentioned yet here but Kathy Jackson's website, The Cornered Cat Link Removed is a site by a woman for women who are carrying or thinking of carrying a gun. The site has advice on choosing a gun, choosing holsters, clothing styles and choices for carrying, and more. I've long recommended Cornered Cat to women who were beginning shooters in CCW classes. I think highly enough of it that I bought the book for my daughter for Christmas.

I carry a Glock 27 in a Serpa level II paddle holster and a Ruger LCP in a Ruger (Fobus) paddle holster. Tried a fanny pack years ago and just couldn't access my weapon fast enough. Drawing from a holster is the only way for me now.

I don't recall the manufacturers but I had trouble with the zippers and just couldn't draw to my satisfaction. Now I love carrying with a paddle holster.

I use Thunderwear or a my Safepacker which I love. I am 5'2" and carry a G23 that I found living in FL not easy to carry in shorts or sundress. With the safepacker I can use it with a belt or cross body with a strap.

Many of the carry purses are quite stylish. Mine, made by Gun totn Mama, has a velco in holster and a metal reinforced strap, easy to carry a 3" barrell Kimber 1911.

I don't have my CCW yet, getting the paperwork done. I am thinking a Crossbreed IWB for my S&W MP 9c. I am 5'4" 105lb. I wondered if I would have trouble concealing. Oh also a leftie so I'll have to figure out a good carry position.

I don't have my CCW yet, getting the paperwork done. I am thinking a Crossbreed IWB for my S&W MP 9c. I am 5'4" 105lb. I wondered if I would have trouble concealing. Oh also a leftie so I'll have to figure out a good carry position.

Isn't WV an open carry state? Why would you want to conceal carry? Won't just slow down your ability to respond to a threat?

I know what you mean as a left-handed lady! ! I have had a lot of luck with what would be called "appendix carry" but on the left side, at about 10:00 o'clock. There is a little "overhang" from my bust that nicely conceals the pistol. I like the Blade-tech ultimate concealment holster:

Link Removed

Yes, WV is open carry. I thought about open carry but I am not sure yet. Definitely going and coming from work I will CC. I am a nurse so I want to keep it concealed going to work. I will take it off and put it up while at work. With my scrubs I will probably have to do some kind of belly band.

Yes, WV is open carry. I thought about open carry but I am not sure yet. Definitely going and coming from work I will CC. I am a nurse so I want to keep it concealed going to work. I will take it off and put it up while at work. With my scrubs I will probably have to do some kind of belly band.

I would be leery of open carry. Part of the advantage we have as women is that the bad guys are less likely to suspect we are armed. If you open carry, you lose the element of surprise and even risk having a bad guy snatch it from you. I'd rather keep them guessing.
A smart carry might work under your scrubs; I wear it when I am in sweats and it's very comfortable: SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters
I wear it up a little higher so the grip sticks out of my waistband.

I am definitely with you on the open carry subject. I am a little woman anyway and I think I would be targeted more if someone sees I have a gun openly. But then again you never know. I was looking at a rig I think it is made by Pro Wear that I believe I can wear under my scrubs. Thanks for your helpful input!:no:

On my person ALWAYS!

I'm the g/f here......at 5'2" and not much above 100 lbs, I carry a Colt Pony 380, or my new breast cancer pink KAHR 380 in my waste band between hip and center in the front at all times. I have a breast cancer pink leather holster made special for me by a good friend and it not only protects the weapon, it protects my skin. There are only a few types of dress that these weapons are too heavy for...and I don't wear them any longer so I can keep my gun concealed comfortably.

I firmly believe if the weapon is in your purse, brief case, away from you, you will likely not be able to deploy it when necessary. Also, my feeling is that many women are targets of purse snatching, and wouldn't want my guns to be gone !!! I personally would not shoot someone who ran by and grabbed my purse, let then have the $$, but don't touch me or my guns!

I'll answer for my wife. She carries a P95 Ruger 9mm in an ambidextrious holster with xtra mag pouch in a cross draw position on her left @ 10:00. It's an easier and faster postion for her to carry. At 5'8'' and a buck 10 soaking wet and over 40, she ain't fast enough to run away or strong enough to fight off a determined attacker. When she does carry, she open carries. Her and I both understand that for one, it doesn't matter how big you are if a badguy sees a young lady or woman carrying a gun, they ain't near as apt to pick on them. 2) You don't let ANYBODY close enough to you to grab it before you take action. Waiting until it's too late is too late. There is of course the going 20ft. rule for a known threat, but she wouldn't let anybody unknown get within ten foot of her. She is pretty clear about her feelings on that one. My wife is pretty independant and very outspoken about what she will and won't tolerate. Even from me. LOL.:pleasantry:

My Beloved Kathleen can't say enough good about the holster we ordered from Link Removed for her. She's a big busty gal, but since the holster is made to measure, it's a great solution for many women.

We decided to marry in a very small, casual ceremony on Friday, May 13th, her birthday. What can you say about a woman who goes to Lane Bryant to find a nice dress for the wedding, tries one on, turns sideways and asks me, "does my holster show?" She's a keeper! :biggrin:

I carry Kahr K9 but I prefer an OWB holster.I find that the IWB are more harsh to my body than the OWB are. If I can,I will use the leather holster that came with the gun when I bought it from a personal sale several yrs. ago.I could not find a manufacturers' name on it but it is very well made . Although I do not use it much,I also got in the purchase,a Don Hume leather OWB holster that is also very well made. At some little hardware/feed supply store in NC,where I reside,I found a nice selection of nylon holsters,belts as well as pistols,new and used and they were a distributor of Case knives. This little hardware store was the greatest hidden surprise one could hope to accidentally run up on.During this trip,I found a nylon holster with a pocket on it for an extra magazine,adjustable Velcro straps an a thumb snap trigger guard.You can run a belt through it or there's a clip to attach the holster to your belt that way.This holster is made in the US,is light weight and says it fits the Kahr or the Bersa.All I know is that my Kahr loves the cozy fit of this holster. So any time I am wearing any kind of belt,all I have to do is grab the gun,stick it in the holster and clip it right on! The only draw back of this holster setup is that it is a bit on the heavy side with the extra loaded magazine right there with the gun. I do position any waist holster slightly to the rear of center on my hip.
There are times,like winter,whenever I wear long pants,that I would carry an ankle holster,either for backup or primary,since my Kahr is a good size gun for either.Other times call for a shoulder rig.I own 2 of those,but I must admit that the ones I have tried are a bit difficult to fit. I do like the gun to be carried horizontally,first of all hard to find,the hard to fit.It you ever find a good one,I suggest you hang on to it!
Carry on and carry safely!
Paige Cullen
NRA Certified Pistol Shooting Instructor
Range Safety Officer

My Sig 1911 and my S&W snubbie both have IWB holsters from Crossbreed. Very comfy and I hardly even realize they're there. For times when I don't have a waistband, like a sundress, I have a Sig P238 and a thigh holster from Chick Holsters which is surprisingly comfortable. :)

I carry a full-size 9mm (Smith & Wesson M&P) in my purse made by Gun Tote'n Mamas (Gads, that spelling drives me crazy- shouldn't it be totin'?) and I love it. I carry it cross-body, and I don't worry about losing it or getting it stolen, because I'm not careless enough to leave my purse sitting where anyone could grab it. Ever. Not even for a second. Most on-the-body holsters simply don't work for me, so the gun purse is a great solution. The only time I carry any other way is when we're camping- then I use a gun pouch I got locally; Lunar Concealed Carry Pouch It looks like a regular utility bag. My husband wound up getting one for himself, he liked mine so much. :)

CZ 75 9mm in my Gun Tote'n Mamas purse most of the time. Outside the waste band tight fitting leather in the winter when wearing long sweaters or jackets.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back