KY permit holder driving through Ill & Wisc.

Daddiolex

How does this work ? I'm a permit holder in KY and I'm driving to Minnesota, which accepts KY's permit. But I have to pass through both Illinois and Wisconsin. Am I screwed or is there a legal way to get myself and my gun to Minnesota and back ?

Legal way through the Peoples Republic of Illinois!

Take it apart, put it in a case, and lock it in the trunk of your car and you might be alright. Or better yet go a bit further west and travel through Missouri.

18 USC 926A; Firearm Owner's Protection Act.

See 18 USC 926A.

Any jurisdiction within the USA where you cannot legally carry, the firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammunition in the trunk or cargo area of your vehicle. If you have a truck without a bed locker, shell or lockable toolbox then you could put it behind the passenger seat as that's the best you can do with a truck without a secured bed. A loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded firearm. A charged speedloader or speedstrip is not since it is not an integral part of a revolver for it to function as designed.

The most 2A friendly path would be to go through MO, then IA. You'll be disarmed the least amount of time traveling through IA. IL could be a major problem since there are some very anti-2A jurisdictions there. In very anti-2A jurisdictions you may be cited or arrested any way and will have to duke it out in court. Even if you win, you may not get your firearms back and then have to pursue civil action against the law enforcement agency. This has been the case in NJ and NY(C). I would drive non-stop through IA after disarming in MO at your last fuel stop before traversing IA.

Put it in the case, in the trunk, you'll be fine. Even Chicagostan allows passing through in that state. Also, how would they even know it's there?

I was from IL. almost no way to carry through legally
bullets in a magazine will get you locked up, take it apart as said, ammo in trunk or glove box locked and gun in trunk
or glove box, seperate firearm from ammo, must be no loaded magazines, locked in a cast and a trigger lock installed
Illinois is communist, ome main reason I moved

The simplest way to transport your weapons while not running afoul of the law is to simply put them in the trunk unloaded and store the ammo separately.

See 18 USC 926A.

Any jurisdiction within the USA where you cannot legally carry, the firearm must be in a locked container separate from the ammunition in the trunk or cargo area of your vehicle. If you have a truck without a bed locker, shell or lockable toolbox then you could put it behind the passenger seat as that's the best you can do with a truck without a secured bed. A loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded firearm. A charged speedloader or speedstrip is not since it is not an integral part of a revolver for it to function as designed.

The most 2A friendly path would be to go through MO, then IA. You'll be disarmed the least amount of time traveling through IA. IL could be a major problem since there are some very anti-2A jurisdictions there. In very anti-2A jurisdictions you may be cited or arrested any way and will have to duke it out in court. Even if you win, you may not get your firearms back and then have to pursue civil action against the law enforcement agency. This has been the case in NJ and NY(C). I would drive non-stop through IA after disarming in MO at your last fuel stop before traversing IA.

Uh, along with so many others, you are mistaken about travel under USC926A. No matter what the knunckle heads in Springfield may impose on Illnois residents, people passing through are immune to Ill gun laws, so long as they abide by the federal law as stated "locked in trunk or box, ammo separate" If you pass through Illinois, you don't have any need to empty the cartridges from the magazine.

In a similar vein, those who own machineguns get a slip from the BATFE to transport them interstate. If not for that,Illinois would confiscate your expensive guns because they violated Illinois law?

By the way, here is the NJSP firerams page. Link Removed

The dreaded little state respects 926A and even states that you don't have an obligation to inform about weapons aboard if passing through.

Don't go by that poor fellow form UT. NJ made an enormous mistake, all charges were dropped, and the UT man will clean up in his NRA backed suit against NJ>

Not sure about Wisconsin, but you'll need to have the gun and ammo locked up and separate from each other while driving through Ill-annoy.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back