knives in ky

rdm6680

Banned
Does my ky ccw license pertain to carrying a spring loaded folding knife? Can I carry a knife in a bar?

I am not aware of ANY CCW permit in the USA that permits anyhing but handguns. Think, did your Kentucky training include training in knife fighting? I am not trying to me obnoxious, but why do people ask these legal questions to ill-informed persons on a blog, when they could just as easy Google their State Rules and read it first hand themselves. A legal defense is not "someone told me on a blog." I know I got a copy of the rules with my permit, and I think most do. And I keep a copy in the car for the ill-informed cops that may stop me too.

Saltcreek:232336 said:
I am not aware of ANY CCW permit in the USA that permits anyhing but handguns. Think, did your Kentucky training include training in knife fighting? I am not trying to me obnoxious, but why do people ask these legal questions to ill-informed persons on a blog, when they could just as easy Google their State Rules and read it first hand themselves. A legal defense is not "someone told me on a blog." I know I got a copy of the rules with my permit, and I think most do. And I keep a copy in the car for the ill-informed cops that may stop me too.

Well check one for Kentucky because ours does. Its a CCDW or Concealed Carry of Deadly Weapons, which means anything, knives, brass knuckles, swords, throwing stars, a piece of pipe, oh and guns too.

rdm6680:232320 said:
Does my ky ccw license pertain to carrying a spring loaded folding knife? Can I carry a knife in a bar?

Yes it does. You could even carry one openly without a CCDW, but you may run into problems with local ordinances. The CCDW eliminates that issue because it then includes all weapons other than a gun into the preemption law that Kentucky has.

Yes you can take it into a bar, you can still take your gun into the bar as well but IT MUST BE UNLOADED. Keep a loaded magazine with you but no rounds in the firearm and you will be legal.

Well check one for Kentucky because ours does. Its a CCDW or Concealed Carry of Deadly Weapons, which means anything, knives, brass knuckles, swords, throwing stars, a piece of pipe, oh and guns too.

Yep. Ours does, too. Our permit, in fact, is a permit to carry a "dangerous weapon" which would include about anything you want..."oh and guns too". LOL. (Now, I wonder why we didn't get any training in knife-fighting? Gonna have to see my state legislator about that.)

Thanks for the valuable info Saltcreek.

What I am finding is that a knife is considered a deadly weapon and can't be brought in a bar in KY? Can anyone point me to something that says otherwise? I also see no reference of carrying an unloaded gun in a bar as being legal.

Kentucky CCW covers everything. If you want to carry throwing stars, swords, switchblade or whatever else it's covered. You can even carry a box of donuts. Haha.

rdm6680:232369 said:
Thanks for the valuable info Saltcreek.

What I am finding is that a knife is considered a deadly weapon and can't be brought in a bar in KY? Can anyone point me to something that says otherwise? I also see no reference of carrying an unloaded gun in a bar as being legal.

I am unaware of any KRS statute that prohibits an openly carried weapon, besides a loaded firearm, in a bar. Reference please.

If your talking about local ordinance, then you can't unless you have a CCDW, or youre OCing a firearm, neither of which can be regulated by local ordinance.

As for the unloaded firearm, look at KRS 244.125.

Ok, so from what I am reading, I can carry a knife in a bar because it isn't a loaded firearm, and, I can also carry my pistol if unloaded in a bar.

rdm6680:232520 said:
Ok, so from what I am reading, I can carry a knife in a bar because it isn't a loaded firearm, and, I can also carry my pistol if unloaded in a bar.

Short answer, yes.

The Arizona CCW is actually a CWP (concealed weapons permit) and it applies to any legal weapon including knives. With a CWP you can carry anything into a bar or a restaurant serving alcohol but you can't drink.

They're right. A KY CCDW does allow you to carry a knife or other weapons. I carry an ASP baton a lot in crowded situations. I don't go to bars and such. I have always carried a knife, since I was about 10 years old, except at school. I figure it would only be a problem if you're doing something wrong to begin with.

Missouri's CCW permit allows the carry of knives, battons, saps, etc. Anything you are legally allowed to own. "Concealed Carry Weapon", it ia not CWP, as in other states that only allow pitols. Our permit also allows any type and number of pistols. Unlike other states that only allow one pistol and or the pistol that the permit was registered with. Our permit does not allow carry into bars, knives yes, guns no. It does how ever grant us leeway when carrying in places that don't permit, bars or other businesses posted for no carry. We will be asked to leave first, the second time we are trespassing. and it escalates from there.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back