Kimber Yay or Nay

TexasGun

I've heard from several sources, not to purchase a Kimber 1911.
Specifically referring to poor construction quality (slides cracking) and bad customer service(not warranting there products). Has any one had such problems or is someone blowing smoke my way?

someone is blowing smoke....

I have put a couple thousand rounds through my Kimber Pro Carry and the only thing wrong with it is a little holster wear around the front of the slide and some thumb wear on the safety. It never jams unless I don't clean it and I've never had any ammo that it won't eat reliably (although I don't shoot any all lead rounds). Every single trainer I work with has and shoots Kimbers (both 10mm and 45ACP) and none of them have had problems either. And trust me, we definitely don't baby them :D

see this thread
Link Removed

My 5" is a fantastic gun. Never had a single issue with it.
My 3" in the tread is a fantastic gun WHEN IT OPERATES. I can say a lot of good stuff about Kimber, but plenty of bad as well. Their customer service can be arrogant and difficult to work with.

My 4'" eclipse required a return to kimber to fix ejecting brass into my face.

If I were to re-spend a couple of grand on a couple of guns I would choose another gun manufacturer.

If you get a "good" Kimber, it will be fantastic. Depends on whether you wanna roll the dice with 1000 dollars.

ps. I personally know several folks with Kimbers. People I know who got their Kimber 5 or so years ago are invariably please. Of the recent Kimber purchasers, it seems there's about a 70% chance you're gonna be happy.

Additionally, a woman I know who does gun testing for the Texas DPS (state troopers here) and is pretty knowledgable on gun stuff feels there's been a decline in Kimbers quality control over the last few years or so. Anecdotally, that's been my take as well.

I teach a lot of defensive pistol classes and 9 times out of 10 when a student on the line calls out a malfunction with their 1911, it is due to miscare, misuse, or mishandling. And these problems supercede all manufacturers. I think the biggest problem people have is that they buy a 1911, treat it like a Glock/XD/Sig and expect it to function as such. I can't count the number of students that have taken their 1911 out a couple of days before the class, put a hundred or so rounds through it, throw it back in the box without cleaning it and then bring it to class expecting it to work flawlessly.

I also believe that it speaks volumes for Kimber that the Marine SOCOM unit, LAPD and other SWAT teams, and the LAPD Special Investigative Services have all chosen Kimbers as their issue weapons (the US Shooting Rapid Fire Pistol Team also uses Kimbers but they are modified so I don't count them).

Last edited:
My everyday carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry II and I absolutely love it! I bought it used (40 rounds through it) off a sheriffs deputy for $450. I have only had one issue with it. I believe the guy I bought it off of had disassembled the guide rod assembly when he last cleaned it. When he put it back together the guide rod was not tightened properly to the base plate. Later that week I took a defensive shooting class and at some point the guide rod came unscrewed and lunched down range (without my knowledge). The gun still finished the class without a problem. It was not till I get home and broke down the gun that I realized the guide rod was missing. I called Kimber expecting to have to buy a new guide rod. I explained to the guys at the custom shop what had happened and that I was not the original owner. They were very professional and asked that I send the pistol in so they could check it over to make sure nothing was damaged from firing without the guide rod. Within a week I had it back with a new guide rod assembly (cost me nothing) and note saying everything had checked out fine.

Since then I have put around 2000 rounds through it and have not had one issue.

My dad also recently purchased a Kimber CDP and to date I have not heard of any issues with it.

Can't afford a Wilson combat, Les Bear, or NightHawk, and Kimber seems to be the only 1911 loaded for around a grand. I'll give Kimber a try then. Thanks guys :)

You might ought to check out STI International....they seem to have some pretty nice 1911's, plus they're sticking their middle finger up at CA for their latest legislative idiocy. Seems like a good company to support. Some of the MSRP's are also a good bit below the 4-digit prices of Kimber products.

I have the Kimber Ultra CDP II. Have put about 800 round thru her (this a new gun) with out one problem. I love this gun. But like has been said you have to clean after shooting, a Kimber as it is a high tolerance gun. But all in all I do not regret buying it.

You might ought to check out STI International....they seem to have some pretty nice 1911's, plus they're sticking their middle finger up at CA for their latest legislative idiocy. Seems like a good company to support. Some of the MSRP's are also a good bit below the 4-digit prices of Kimber products.

My primary reason for purchasing a STI over a Kimber. ;)

I'll go ahead and jump on the band wagon here.

I have a Kimber Custom 2 with 5 inch barrel and I love it. I bought it 6 years ago and have put thousands of rounds through it. I only had it jam once when I was using an old GI issue magazine and that was only the first round. So I am very very pleased with mine.

Here's my $0.02.

I have never owned a Kimber and always thought that Springfield was a better bang for the buck. With that said, Kimber has some nice, absolutely gorgeous 1911's that I wouldn't mind owning.

Take a look at the 10-8 Forum, or Hilton Yam's website to see what they say about Kimber for a "Duty Gun". There have been some problems with Kimber, but no more than any other manufacturer of a bullet launching device. All producers make a lemon every now and then.

In short, if you want a Kimber, get a Kimber. I just bought a Springfield "Loaded" as it serves my needs. I;ll probably buy a Kimber Warrior next and then another Springfield.

Biker

Kimber

I own 5 Kimbers. 3 are full size and 2 carry models. They are the most reliable 1911's I have ever shot. I have over 10000 rounds through my Kimber Grand Raptor and my Eclipse. never a failure.

For carry, i prefer the ultra carry.

I own several other brand firearms, but I love the kimbers. Its a small investment for a long term gain....And trust me, you can count on them.:cool:

My primary carry weapon is a Kimber Ultra Carry. I have had absolutely no problems with it and it is extremely accurate. Manufacturing is top quality, operation is smooth and reliability is unsurpassed. I also carry a S&W Sigma SW9F and own a Colt Defender and a Sig 229 as well as a few others. There are some just as good (possibly) but none better.

I have 3 Kimbers and love them, never any serious problems, My Kimber warrior will not work with Wilson 8 rounders But works fine with Chip Mccormick and Kimber Mags and my carry is custom TLE/RL.

good luck if you buy one. Especially a 3". I'd try and find one used that was manufactured several years ago during a time quality meant something to them.

I am probably going to start a flame war with this one but here goes:

For the money that you spent on a kimber you could have gotten an HK and been much better off.

My opinion:
Kimber markets tight tolerances. AK's are not known for tight tolerances; they are known for dependability. Tight tolerances in metal that gets heated when used, has oil and powder residue to fill the tiny gap, and can pick up dirt as well, does not lend itself to a high degree of dependability. However, it would make for an accurate piece. I don't own a Kimber, but I would like to. I just wouldn't trust it as my primary carry weapon. I know many people do just that. As long as they feel good about it, rock on. If you were to get shot by the BG and drop your weapon, do you want tight tolerances for something that can bend or warp, with your life in the balance? Anything can fail. I just prefer to keep as many odds in my favor as possible.

My personal opinion is stay away from Kimbers.

They are pretty but you never know what you are going to get from them. If you have money to lose you can buy a Kimber and if it does not meet your expectations you can sell it and lose a couple dollars. If you are scraping to get the money to purchase it then again, I would not get a Kimber. I also agree with STI. Look at the STI Guardian. SWEET........

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back