KFC almost robbed

Anthony_I_Am

SAN DIEGO — A would-be robber wielding a chain at a San Diego Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant didn't count on one of the customers being an armed, off-duty, plainclothes police sergeant. Witnesses said the man barged in Saturday afternoon, smashed his heavy chain on the counter and ordered all the employees into the kitchen.

But before he could open the cash register, the sergeant pointed his gun at the man and ordered him to the ground.

Witnesses said the suspect demanded to see the officer's badge, and the sergeant complied.
The suspect was arrested for attempted armed robbery.

Funny stuff. So what if the cop refused to show his badge? Would the robber blow him off and continue to rob the store with a gun pointed at him? Me thinks when a loaded gun is pointed at you, whether or not he has a badge is the least of your worries !

I'd have told the chainsaw wielding robber to kiss my A$$. Show me your badge??? Put down the weapon and get on the floor, hands behind your head. NOW!

I'd have told the chainsaw wielding robber to kiss my A$$. Show me your badge??? Put down the weapon and get on the floor, hands behind your head. NOW!

But what if he ignored you and turned his back to you? Would your state laws justify discharging your weapon?

He did not say a Chain Saw but a heavy chain. If he turned his back and opened the register that would have opened a problem. Deadly force would not have been OK'd IMO. If he "aggressed" the Sgt. then he could have been stopped as it would have been considered a deadly weapon

I don't see anybody really in much danger with this, except maybe innocent bystanders in the line of fire from an overzealous shooter. I suppose it would be a good opportunity for some dumb-arsed CCW holder to get him or herself in trouble. An equal or better man would just use the perp's weapon to engage a strangle hold until the authorities arrived.

If I am threatening you with a heavy chain in my hand, you damn well better shoot me, cause there aint' no way you're gonna use it to put me in a strangle-hold. Somebody is suffering from delusions of grandeur, alright.

As expected....

If I am threatening you with a heavy chain in my hand, you damn well better shoot me...
As a customer in the dining area, I can't see where "I" (or "you" for that matter) was being threatened. Considering this is in the firearms discussion on a site called USACarry, I assumed the operative notion here might be the possibility of a CCW holder using said weapon(s) in this scenario. Sorry, my bad. And too bad you feel compelled to contribute nothing more than another personal attack against me:
Somebody is suffering from delusions of grandeur, alright.
Par for the course I suppose. :rolleyes:

Having used a heavy chain myself, I can say unequivocally state that: "LIVES were indeed in jepordy!"

IMO; an "unarmed" defense against a chain wielding perpetrator would be foolhearty; unless you have been "formally" trained in hth against someone with a weapon.

However, I can see the BG just turning and leaving IF this had been a CWP holder and not an LEO. (If the BG decided to escalate against the CWP holder, then that's on him.)

IMO; an "unarmed" defense against a chain wielding perpetrator would be foolhearty; unless you have been "formally" trained in hth against someone with a weapon.

Of course, that assumes that the perp is trained in the use of a chain as a deadly weapon. Most likely, I see the guy swinging the chain and hitting himself with it. :haha:

But what if he ignored you and turned his back to you? Would your state laws justify discharging your weapon?

Thought it said Chainsaw. A guy with a chain? If he was threatening bodily harm, and coming at me with it, it would justify shooting him. With his back to me, no I would not shoot. Might bash him in the head with something though. So how would you handle it? I'm always willing to learn something new from the master.

Thought it said Chainsaw. A guy with a chain? If he was threatening bodily harm, and coming at me with it, it would justify shooting him. With his back to me, no I would not shoot. Might bash him in the head with something though. So how would you handle it? I'm always willing to learn something new from the master.

Who can say without actually being there? Saying that I would do this ... or this ... assumes many things that could be very, very wrong.

Witnesses said the suspect demanded to see the officer's badge, and the sergeant complied.
The suspect was arrested for attempted armed robbery.

Funny stuff. So what if the cop refused to show his badge? Would the robber blow him off and continue to rob the store with a gun pointed at him? Me thinks when a loaded gun is pointed at you, whether or not he has a badge is the least of your worries !

I think the robber would have called the real police and had the guy checked out for illegally possessing a gun. Everybody knows the strict gun control laws in California. And the CA police would likely have been on the side of the robber.

Good thing it wasn't one of those unloaded open carry folks, eh?!? (Oh, man, I can't believe I just wrote that!) :hang3:

Who can say without actually being there? Saying that I would do this ... or this ... assumes many things that could be very, very wrong.

This is why I asked how you would handle it. I am always willing to learn from the master.
If your going to quote me, at least answer my question. How would you handle it?

This is why I asked how you would handle it. I am always willing to learn from the master.
If your going to quote me, at least answer my question. How would you handle it?

I did answer your question, Duke. My answer was, "I don't know. I wasn't there." I'll freely admit that I'm no "Master" but I know enought to know that there are too many variables in most scenarios to say, "I would definitely do this (or have done this)." That would be like the guy in my CCW class who told everyone in his biggest hero voice that he would definitely take the 10 yard headshot if he encountered someone with a knife to their throat and the perp hidden behind them. How in the world could he know that?

How to handle the chain wielding idiot

1. stay out of range of the chain...it can and will break bones
2. dial 911 (the phone will pick up every thing that is said and done)
3. draw weapon and order suspect to the floor if he turns to swing the chain at you STOP THE THREAT
4. MAKE STATEMENTS WHEN THE COPS ARRIVE OF "I WAS AFRAID FOR MY LIFE" AND "I WANT AN ATTORNEY BEFORE ANSWERING FURTHER QUESTIONS."
5. POINT OUT CREDIBLE EYEWITNESSES
6. deal with legal fallout as it happens (hopefully you have a good attorney)

Having used a heavy chain myself, I can say unequivocally state that: "LIVES were indeed in jepordy!"

However, I can see the BG just turning and leaving IF this had been a CWP holder and not an LEO. (If the BG decided to escalate against the CWP holder, then that's on him.)

Come on now.... chains aren't effective weapons...thats why the gang bangers used to use them in the 60's and70's :sarcastic: (heavy sarcasm) ...

I would say that someone weilding a heavy chain, is indeed a threat... if they had any skill at all, and any length on the chain, it could do some damage...would have no problem capping someone armed with a chain if the circumstances dictated.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back