Kel Tec guns

How has your Kel Tec gun worked?

• My Kel Tec shoots flawlessly and is dependable.

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • I have had too many problems with Kel Tec guns.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

cluznar

People say Kel Tec guns are not reliable. Myself, I own a P-32 which has shot flawlessly. How about letting me hear what you think about Kel Tec guns? :triniti:

Well they're not the prettiest you can find, but I have never had any issues with either my wife's P3AT or my SUB2K (glock 9mm version). Her P3AT has fired flawlessly for 5 years while my Taurus PT 738 has been back to Miami twice and is still there this time, 2 months later. A couple of new things they debuted at Shot Show look pretty interesting.

No pony in this poll, but I'm really looking hard at the sub-2000, in 9mm, at a very low price point.

I've heard enough about Kel-Tec to not want anything but the above, and it may be a lemon. Only time will tell. They've introduced a new model at SHOT. YMMV

No pony in this poll, but I'm really looking hard at the sub-2000, in 9mm, at a very low price point.

I've heard enough about Kel-Tec to not want anything but the above, and it may be a lemon. Only time will tell. They've introduced a new model at SHOT. YMMV

I've had at least one Kel-Tec in my modest arsenal since shortly after the first SU-16 Bravo was released. I didn't count really, but I know I fired at least 8,000 rounds through that rifle, and about 5,000 of those were during advanced rifle training courses and their subsequent refresher courses. Those courses included crawling through lots of dirt, some of it took place while it was raining, and all of it was high round-counts between having time to clean the rifle. I honestly don't recall a single hiccup with the rifle. It was quite awhile back, so maybe I've forgotten a FTF or FTE that happened, but I don't specifically recall it happening.

I'm not a pocket-pistol kind of guy, so KT's handguns aren't items I would "collect," but I do have a PF9 that I bought for my wife that I do pocket carry as a BUG sometimes. Against my constant reminding her not to let it happen, my wife let her permission slip go. She won't consider OC, and was pretty inconsistent about CC'ing anyway, but the PF9 kind of landed in my pocket by default after the permit expired last year. Neither one of us trained with it when we were taking advanced courses, and this particular one hasn't had all that many rounds fired through it (probably less than 600 or 700), but it has been just as reliable as the rifle was for the limited duty it's seen.

The Sub2K, Gen 2 that was debuted at SHOT looks awesome to me. I'm n ot trying to talk you into buying any of their other models. To each his own. I'm just a satisfied customer whose always had at least one of their products for the last 10 years or more. With the new Sub2K, that makes three models of theirs that I'd dearly love to own, the RFB and KSG being the other two, but I doubt I'll ever actually spend the money on any of 'em. But it won't be because I think the brand is one I should stay away from. I'm just miserly and already have the weapons I really need, plus a couple more.

Blues

I have a P3AT that has given me no problems and a KSG which has been flawless. (I voted in the poll).

Took me a long time to find one. I have not had any issues with it and have put a few hundred rounds through it of both 124 and 115 grain ammunition. It is definitely a dirty firing gun but is fun to shoot. The changes to the new one (v. 2) are all cosmetic from what I have read but the new style front sight is sure to be an improvement.

And the new RDB they debuted looked interesting as well.

I Have a sub2k in .40 that uses glock mags. Had it for many years and it's never given me a problem and it's such a fun gun to shoot and very accurate. The only weakness is the front sight but there are aftermarket alternatives available.

Took me a long time to find one. I have not had any issues with it and have put a few hundred rounds through it of both 124 and 115 grain ammunition. It is definitely a dirty firing gun but is fun to shoot. The changes to the new one (v. 2) are all cosmetic from what I have read but the new style front sight is sure to be an improvement.

And the new RDB they debuted looked interesting as well.

They also added a couple or three brands of magazine compatibility options. I don't recall which ones, but I know where I read about it if anyone needs (or is just curious) about which ones.

I have a Keltec PF9 that has had no failures, and is one of my main carry pistols. After about 21 rounds it is not fun to shoot due to the recoil, but if I needed it in an emergency I don't think I would even feel the recoil.

Owned and carried a PF9 until I sold it to a friend. A good, functioning gun, it just has a very rough finish. You get what you pay for. Would I own another one, maybe.

My SU-16B has been shooting great for years now. Not sure how many rounds I've fired through it but I don't recall any malfunctions in that time. It isn't my first choice of a gunfight weapon but, it has a place as a truck-gun and a plinker.

Howdy,

I'm not a 9mm fan or a fan of pocket pistols but I do have a Kel-Tec PF-9 that I've owned since 2010 and it's been flawless with over 1,500 rounds of everything from steel cased Tula/Monarch, to aluminum Blazers, NATO spec 124gr JSP, Win white box 147gr FMJ & JHP, to my crappy reloads with a 115gr LRN.

I don't carry it very often because I perfer a larger pistol and more powerful round but there are times when I cannot carry my Glock 23, 20, 35 or one of my other full size guns.

Paul

maybe a little off topic, but it's about keltec - but anyone know when the new sub2000's will be in stores or available online - i googled and didn't see any for sale, only articles about them. As far as the poll, I haven't owned a keltec yet, but have heard quite a bit about the sub2000 and would like to get one.

maybe a little off topic, but it's about keltec - but anyone know when the new sub2000's will be in stores or available online - i googled and didn't see any for sale, only articles about them. As far as the poll, I haven't owned a keltec yet, but have heard quite a bit about the sub2000 and would like to get one.

It has been alleged by folks wishing to get their hands on the newest Kel-Tec offerings, that they only produce enough in the first production run to adorn the models of Oleg Volk, one of a handful of exceptional firearms photographers around. My experience is that the allegation is only a slight exaggeration. In other words, Kel-Tec makes affordable and, from my own experience and that of most reviewers that I've read, reliable weapons, but their manufacturing capacity is always overloaded beyond it being prudent to release new products when so many of the last newest things are back-ordered. The shortages drive the prices sky-high, so it hurts the consumer all the way around. Not only will it be months before you'll find a Gen 2 just sitting on a shelf ready to purchase, there's no way it will be selling for the $500 MSRP that's being bandied about. If you get an early one for under $650 - $700 bucks, I'll be amazed, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them pushin' $800 - $900 for the first production run models.

Upon further surfing around Oleg's Gallery site, it appears that he only got one Sub2K for the moment, and it may be a mock-up as there are no pics of it being fired. Scroll down a couple or three pages at the link above and you'll see three pics (as of this writing) of it with some accessories attached. Nice looking platform, but I doubt any of us will get anywhere near one until late this year.

Blues

Had a PF-9 right after they came out, with a higher Serial Number, as some of the lower ones had problems, and never had a problem. It ate everything I put into it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back