Kel-Tec ... confidence level carrying loaded w/ no safety

Centerhold

Guys ... I'm just old fashioned I guess. I plan on buying a P3AT for pocket carry & am just uneasy carrying something that I don't have control over a safety lever. Has anybody ever heard of a Kel-Tec misfiring or going off accidentally (from jarring, dropping ... or for any reason at all ?) Pocket carry is awfully close to an area I wouldn't want to take an accidental discharge if you get my drift & I'm curious to hear from those with experience with this design as to your confidence level.

Many thanks !!

John

No problem at all. The Kel-tec's are DA only. I was carrying mine loaded untill my wife took it to carry. You just have to train yourself not to put your finger on the trigger untill your absolutely ready to fire. They do not go off by themselves. LEO's always carry with one in the pipe.
Be careful and be safe

Fred5

I agree with Fred. I have the P3AT and carry it in my pocket all the time with one in the pipe. I feel very confident in carrying it that way. Quite frankly I have fell in love with the little bugger.

Add another for one in the pipe. I just picked one up about 2 weeks ago and have been carrying one in the pipe since I took it to the range last Saturday. With the long double action trigger pull I can not see it going off accidentally. I can also tell you IF, for some reason, the hammer dropped from half cocked it will not go off. It’s a long story but I know from experience! Lol

It's just like carrying one of those antique re-vol-ver things like great-grandfather...

Except, there's no round non-detachable magazine-like thingy to bulge out the sides...:huh:

I've carried both my P3AT and my PF-9 fully loaded without any fears/problems.

No problem carrying it loaded at all. Just remember that revolvers don't have a safety lever because they are double action. Same thing with the KT's. It takes a long deliberate pull of the trigger to fire. I carry mine every day loaded. One in the chamber in my pocket.

Thanks guys ... appreciate the info. The little Kel-Tec seems like it owns the reasonably priced mini-380 market.

One last question ... how does it compare to the new Ruger mini-380 ? Dimensions are about the same ... the Kel-Tec is obviously a proven design with the rotating barrel ... not sure if the Ruger uses this design or is a straight blow back ? Which way would you go ... Ruger or Kel-Tec ?

John (PS - I lied ... how's the trigger pull on the Kel-Tec (I hear its pretty good for a DA - under 10# ?)

Last edited:
A guy I work with is probably going to go Ruger LCP, but he wants to handle one first. The Ruger is just a touch heavier (I've heard that .380 Kel-Teca have quite a bit of "snap" to them) and he and I both like the little thumb rest in the grip.

No problem with carrying one in the pipe. Do remember to use a pocket holster to keep the trigger covered. I have a little Desantis holster. It was cheap and I've had for a couple of years.
If I had had the option, I think I would have gone with the Ruger. I love Ruger. You never know with a new pistol though. There probably will be bugs to work out. Don't get me wrong I like my KelTec too.

Thanks guys ... appreciate the info. The little Kel-Tec seems like it owns the reasonably priced mini-380 market.

One last question ... how does it compare to the new Ruger mini-380 ? Dimensions are about the same ... the Kel-Tec is obviously a proven design with the rotating barrel ... not sure if the Ruger uses this design or is a straight blow back ? Which way would you go ... Ruger or Kel-Tec ?

John (PS - I lied ... how's the trigger pull on the Kel-Tec (I hear its pretty good for a DA - under 10# ?)

The trigger pull on the P3AT is 5 lbs. I think its a good mix between the long travel and trigger pull. I shoot another 50 rounds through mine today and it has a long but very smooth trigger.

One thing to remember with the Kel tec is the trigger has 2 reset points. You actually feel two clicks before its ready to fire again. The first flick resets the disconnect and the second resets the DA trigger pull. If you pull the trigger, after the first click but before the second it'll actually drop the hammer from a half cocked position. This causes a light strikes and a misfire. Other then that I really like mine.

I carry a PF-9 everyday/everywhere (shhh don't tell the "gun-free" zones) with an IWB holster.

It's not going off unless I pull that trigger. I like carrying DA's for that very reason. A round isn't going to just go off in a DA any more than it will just go off sitting in the box it came it.

I also have an XD I carry on occasion. Now that gets cocked. Even with the safety I sometimes get preoccupied with "what if" thoughts like when I sit in a movie theater and realize the muzzle is aimed right at some guys head. Never had any problems though and I've tried to get it to fire. Not pointed at somebody's head but at home with snap caps. You can see the pin at the rear of XD's so you'd know if it fired.

I carry a Kel-Tec 9mm I do not use a holster I use the clip that attaches to the gun. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the clip. I find it to be very comfortable. I have a closet full of holsters and none match the comfort of the clip. I do not have one in the pipe thoughts???

I would not feel comfortable without one in the chamber. I would not feel comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and not having the trigger covered. But remember you asked for our thoughts and this is MY opinion.

Carried the P-32 until the P3AT came out. Always have a round chambered and have had no problems. I agree that one must have a holster that covers the trigger and trigger guard. I used a couple of different ones but really like the kydex holster from grandfatheroak dot com. I had one that broke and they replaced it for free.:icon_mrgreen: I started out with the guru pocket holster which worked well but was bulky in jeans.

I carry a KT .32 with SilverTips in this holster in the cargo pocket of my shorts, breaks up the print. Ron Graham holster, I have a few of his for the .32...

Link Removed

Jim

I use something simiilar to the photo above. I would not hesitate to carry it in my pocket without a holster though, as long as nothing else was in my pocket.

+1 to one in the pipe. Unloaded guns scare me.:unsure:

Guys ... I'm just old fashioned I guess. I plan on buying a P3AT for pocket carry & am just uneasy carrying something that I don't have control over a safety lever. Has anybody ever heard of a Kel-Tec misfiring or going off accidentally (from jarring, dropping ... or for any reason at all ?) Pocket carry is awfully close to an area I wouldn't want to take an accidental discharge if you get my drift & I'm curious to hear from those with experience with this design as to your confidence level.

Many thanks !!

John

I leave my P3AT in an Uncle Mike's No. 2 Pocket Holster all of the time whether carrying, on the shelf, etc. I think it would be nigh unto impossible to have it fire while in that holster. (Also, when I draw it, there's no conceivable way that snagging the trigger would fire it since the trigger would be pulled toward the front of the trigger guard.) I feel totally safe with it and it breaks up the outline even in the pocket of thin sweat-shorts which I'm into a lot here in Arizona since the temperatures are already headed for the triple digits.

Last edited:
I was at a Gun Show and started talking to a local SWAT officer that carried a KT 380 for a BUG and was buying one for his wife....His had one in the pipe at all times..

Jim

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back