Kahr CW9 for Christmas

MHRDeadhead

My girlfriend just completed the NRA Basic Pistol course (I took it with her), she obtained her LTC permit, and now she needs her own pistol. She's been shooting my M&P 40c when we hit the range and she seems to handle it easily. She shows no interest in shooting my SR45...much less carry one. So I'm thinking about buying her a Kahr CW9 for a Christmas present. My only exposure to that particular pistol has been limited to checking out a bud's CW9...didn't get a chance to shoot one yet. Looks like it would be easy to conceal and it's a 9mm...so she can shoot it all day without fatigue. Any advice? Actual or theoretical evaluation would be great...especially from the ladies. Thanks!

I sell the CW line, along with a number of others from other manufacturers. They are lightweight, similar dimensions to the Shield or XD-S. However, the slide can be very difficult for many women to handle - VERY stiff return spring. For roughly the same price you could pick up the Shield, LC9, Beretta Nano, or Taurus 709 (not given in any particular order). All are single stack, roughly the same physical dimensions, and the slides tend to be a bit easier to manipulate for many women. One of the easiest for women to manipulate is the Sig Sauer P938. Baby 1911, single action, all metal frame (equals a little less felt recoil), night sights - but also about a $300 jump in price. Best thing you can do is take her to the gun store to find what fits her the best. And don't be surprised if she shows a preference for a revolver instead of a semi-auto. Less to go wrong, easier to maintain - and no slide to mess with. I sell more revolvers by far to women than autos - that is by THEIR choice, BTW. Just want to make it clear that I don't assume that all women prefer a revolver.

I agree with some the above advice, IMHO you get a higher quality product if you buy the nano, shield or LC9 (I am not a taurus fan). I also am down on revolvers because of the low capacity, modern well maintained demi auto rarely fail to function.

I agree take her and let her pick what's best for her. If you have a range close that rents gun let her shoot different ones. I hate to get technical about the laws as I'm not a lawyer but she would have to buy it or it could be considered a staw purchase. If she was your wife it would be different. Just my 2 cents.

I have a CW40 and the long trigger pull is a draw back for me. It took some getting use to. I could not hit anything with it and sent it in to Kahr to check it out. They have had it for 6 weeks now and I have not heard from them so far. I do like the size of my CW40 and would like to be able to carry it but was afraid to because I did not know where to shot was going to go.

You should have your girlfriend rent and shoot different guns and see what she likes!!!

The LC9 and LCP are also strong considerations. She let me know that the CW9 felt good in her hand and she was able to manipulate the slide easily...she may be a woman, but she's ANYTHING but frail. She was able to operate the slide on my M&P just as easily, and she shows no interest in a revolver as she had a chance to check out her sister-ini-law's Ruger Security Six .38. Based on the intel that I've been gathering while we were at our local shop(s), I was able to narrow down the choice to the CW9, based on her comments/reactions.

As far as the actual purchase/transfer of ownership....got that one covered. I'll simply buy the gun and then "sell" it to her for $1. Already talked to the shop owner and that's a perfectly legal transaction.

There's a bit of irony in this whole "getting my girlfriend a gun" scenario. Long story short...her "ex" owned a gun shop, shot comp trap, and had close to 30 guns. She never shot a gun until she hooked up with me! And we're talking a 25 year span here...

I have a CW40 and the long trigger pull is a draw back for me. It took some getting use to. I could not hit anything with it and sent it in to Kahr to check it out. They have had it for 6 weeks now and I have not heard from them so far. I do like the size of my CW40 and would like to be able to carry it but was afraid to because I did not know where to shot was going to go.

You should have your girlfriend rent and shoot different guns and see what she likes!!!

my anecdotal experience has been that with the CW guns it is 50-50 if it is good out of the box, I've seen many that haven't made it through the first mag. they must have QC issues with their lower end weapons, their upper level guns are usually better.

I have a CW45 and love it!!
Like any gun it will take time to get use to it. Yes the long trigger pull will cause you to shoot low and sometimes even off target. Once you get the feel of it, the pistol is very accurate. Kahr are very good quality for the price. If she is gonna carry in her purse make sure she uses a pocket holster. There are no safeties on a CW. The CWs are very concealable. But you should look at the CMs. My buddy has a CM9 and it's very small. Smaller than a keltec PF9. But he says it's very accurate for its size and forgets that he is carrying it at times.

Also, my wife has shot my CW45 and was surprised that it was shootable. She didn't have a problem with the kick and no problem racking the slide.

I don't know the law in Pa but I'm pretty sure in Ohio that is considered a straw purchase and is illegal. You cant purchase a firearm with the intent of just leaving the store and reselling it. Besides that....I had a CW9 and absolutely loved it. The only reason I don't still have it is because I needed the money. The trigger pull is long but light and very smooth. It is also very accurate for such a small light handgun. I never had an issue with it from the 1st round til i sold it after about 1000 rounds. No matter what Kahr she would get I think she would be happy with her choice.

Whatever legalities are involved with transfer, or initial purchase, I'll go the correct and legal route. I've been talking with various shop owners, so there are multiple options that I/we have to approach this.

Back to the initial question...she really liked the feel of the CW9 and it's dimensions. It will be easy for her to conceal and it's already proven that she can successfully handle a 9mm. I'm more concerned about reliability, and from what I'm reading online and obtaining from you folks, it's a decent gun with no major issues. I don't want to drop a ton of cash on her first gun in case she discovers that she would really rather have another caliber...or gun for that matter. She really likes shooting my M&P40c, so I'm thinking she'll eventually have a Shield or her own M&P. Who knows...maybe she'll buy a pink Bersa Thunder!!!!

And the winner is: Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. Took her with me to the gunshop, showed her the Shield, and laid my credit card on the desk. I bought, she owns. Only downside...the recoil spring is incredo stiff! It'll lighten over time/usage. Thanks to all for your input.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back