Just Wondering

JohnLM

I have heard of some people being shot and they say "I felt something but I didn't know I was shot". When I hear this I say that they must have been shot with a very small caliber bullet, like a 22. Thats why I have a 9mm and a glock 27 40cal. If I have to shoot someone I want that person to know he have been shot. I was wondering is it possible for a person to be shot with a large caliber bullet and not know he was shot??

Its very possible. In the heat of the moment shock might not settle in inmediatly.
Also if the individual is pumped up on drugs (pcp meth) he will not go easy.
Google whitehall incident (FL) Were a perp pumped up on drugs took 33 hits with 9mm from the responding officers. Once the swat team arraived they took him down with .45 ACP.

"One shot stops" with a pistol are not common. Keep shooting until there is no longer a threat. And an eight inch pattern on your attacker's chest is way better than a two inch pattern, because you have more organ systems being disrupted.

This is why I use a shotgun for home defense. With one blast of #1 or #00buck shot from a 12 gauge, you accomplish about the same amount of damage as EIGHT shots from a .380 pistol.

Something to think about.

Mr. Gain,

You are correct with your point.
Now, that you cannot pocket carry the shotgun, the idea of a compact 9mm or .40/,45 is a good second.

I tied Google searching it but came up with nothing. Can someone post a link.

Where did the 9mm's hit? Where did the .45's hit?

I have heard of some people being shot and they say "I felt something but I didn't know I was shot". When I hear this I say that they must have been shot with a very small caliber bullet, like a 22. Thats why I have a 9mm and a glock 27 40cal. If I have to shoot someone I want that person to know he have been shot. I was wondering is it possible for a person to be shot with a large caliber bullet and not know he was shot??
No...because a larger caliber bullet will kill instantly even before the perp knows it...:biggrin:(now that was a silly response on my part. sorry...)

The correct answer is yes you can be shot and there is not any instant effect!!!!!! We had a Guy walk in to the Detroit police precinct with a shotgun getting off several shots and being shot multiple times himself before he dropped its on YouTube check for yourself!!!!!! After he died they tested him NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL IN HIS SYSTEM!!!!!!

Example... My father was a USDA meat inspector. He watched a guy cutting meat with a band saw, take off two fingers. First one on the first swipe and before my dad could yell at the guy, he did it again! After the second, when he was being yelled at, he finally realized what he did. Then he started yelping! I can't imagine that someone who is pumped up is going to be a lot different in the initail seconds unless they some how get staggered or knocked off their feet. They might lose concentration then and realize they were hurt.
Just my .02....

Mr. Gain,

You are correct with your point.
Now, that you cannot pocket carry the shotgun, the idea of a compact 9mm or .40/,45 is a good second.

Yeah - I've been looking all over the place for a decent pocket holster for my Mossberg 500. I cannot find one, even for the short (18.5") barrel.

See below for what I'm carrying in the meantime. :)

Trench coat with an inside pocket works great for a shotgun... dont you watch movies?

Carry the biggest handgun you can stand to carry and not leave home because it is a pain in the butt/too much hassle......IOW, ALWAYS carry something! Or multiple somethings!

There are multiple mechanisms by which a person may not know that they have received a serious injury. There are several types of pain receptors and regulation for the supression of pain in both the brain and spinal cord pain may be physiologically blocked by several mechanisms. Some operate like a blown circuit breaker, massive pain signal overloads the system and messages are not passed upwards to the brain. Massive trauma can destroy pain receptors and while they send one big signal they cannot send anything else because they no longer function. Lastly the brain can simply choose to ignore massive pain signals because after all the perception of pain associated with fatal or near fatal trauma contributes nothing to survival and may in fact be both debilitating and detrimental to survival.

Firefighterchen:216695 said:

Try this link http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86.html

I hope never to be able to answer your question with personal experience. I will just say yes and forgo the scientific testing on my part.

It doesn't just take drugs to get you "hyped up" enough to feel no pain. I'm told it is common in the heat of a firefight and I personally saw a Navy Corpsman take a couple of hits while he was trying to aid some of our people during an ambush/firefight. Didn't even seem to notice until we had to pull him out of there.

That kind of stuff is SPOOKY!

GG

johnmed3:216907 said:
Firefighterchen:216695 said:

Try this link http://www.thegunzone.com/11april86.html

That was a interesting firefight. Seemed long guns did the damage, until everyone was dead or almost dead..then they gimped to each other to deal final shots with a handgun.

I believe the whitehall incident is different. Any links to that?

I talked to one of the medical examiners in my county. He also dealt with the aftermath of an intense shooting. The bg took around 30 rounds as well, but the bullet that caused death was a single .223 that entered the left shoulder, went through both lungs, the heart, and exited the lower right side.

A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a hand grenade (i forget which member loves that saying...g50?). A critical hit with a 380 is better than a .45 to the arm.

On this last deployment we had a soldier shot in the head/Kevlar by a sniper. No one including the soldier shot even new it was a hit till they got back to base. As soon as the shot was heard everyone reacted by taking cover. Upon returning to base they found the damage to the Kevlar, and she looked like she had been punched on the head a couple times by Mike Tyson, black and blue swollen eyes for a few weeks. Stress and adrenaline can have a huge affect on what is felt and or noticed.

the incident was in the 80's i think and it was with 9mm ILL state police the ammo was blamed it did not expand went right on in and out little holes. I read about it back when I was a cop.
I was not a 9mm fan after that and switched to a 45.
fell in lovew/the 1911. still am.
OH and I am saving for a kimber.
not sure tactical or crimson carry ( NOT just for the lazer I like the grip and look of that gun.)
the Lazer is a toy to play with on the range sometimes and you never know a red dot might help to stop a badguy without killing him. but i do like the set up of the other gun it has three dot night sight and open mag well. If I get the crimson carry i will get a gunsmith to add the three dots and a open mag well.

It doesn't just take drugs to get you "hyped up" enough to feel no pain. I'm told it is common in the heat of a firefight and I personally saw a Navy Corpsman take a couple of hits while he was trying to aid some of our people during an ambush/firefight. Didn't even seem to notice until we had to pull him out of there.

That kind of stuff is SPOOKY!

GG
the Doc's are somthing else!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back