Just when you thought TSA couldn't get any worse.....

Link Removed

TSA to begin swabbing hands of air travelers in search of explosives

Reported by: Brianne Randle
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 7:57 am

You've likely heard the list of instructions when you fly these days.

"Yeah take off shoes, take off belts, empty out wallets, jewelry...," listed air traveler Renu Dutta.

Soon, there will be a new set of instructions before boarding a plane. The Transportation Security Administration will begin randomly asking passengers to see the palms of their hands to swab for explosive residue.

"Simply rub that over the palm, of the passenger and they are looking once the palm is swabbed that piece of fabric is put into the machine and looks for traces of explosives," said Suzanne Trevino, TSA spokesperson.

Metal detectors now used at checkpoints can't spot materials like the powdered explosives bombing suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab allegedly snuck on a plane bound for Detroit.

"Following December 25th incident, the TSA has been looking at different ways use tools in arsenal to do additional screening," said Trevino.

"I understand there was another incident in detroit so I'm glad they're on alert," said Diane Cunningham, air traveler.

The machines are the same the TSA currently uses to test luggage....7,000 of them nationwide. Now to be used to randomly test hands too, anywhere in the airport.

"Its possible it would go at security check point or at the security check lines or even at the gate," said Trevino.

The TSA says the tests should not inconvenience or delay travelers.

"It is an inconvenience but I rather be safe than sorry, so I kind of do appreciate the measures they are taking cause I rather them take extra precautions then them not and something happens," said Dutta.

You can expect hand swabs at airports in Hawaii next week. But they will be used in different ways and at different times so there's no predicting when you may be tested.

Scary times folks. :eek: Sad part is that this does absolutely NOTHING to make flying safer. Makes me wonder what would happen if they swabbed my hands after a day of shooting black powder.

gf

ricbak

:no:
I have to agree that is not going to prove or solve anything. Just be a pain in the #^* at check in. That means I can't go shooting the muzzleloader, let alone the revolver, for a couple days before flying..

gdcleanfun

Banned
Link Removed

Scary times folks. :eek: Sad part is that this does absolutely NOTHING to make flying safer. Makes me wonder what would happen if they swabbed my hands after a day of shooting black powder.

gf

Don't go to a Civil War reenactment then expect to fly home w/out incident!

Piece Corps

Forget black powder. Spend an hour re-loading all your mags after a nice day at the range with your pistol, and then decide to go visit Grandma out west. Dollars to donuts you won't make it past the TSA goons and their swabs.

Hey! TSA! Swab THIS!!!

Booga

The swabs detect much more than gunpowder. If you do farm work or landscaping, you could trigger the alarms.
If you touch a door handle that had some of the trigger chemicals after someone else, you could trigger the alarms.
With such sensitive devices, there's a whole range of things that could set them off.

The swabs detect much more than gunpowder. If you do farm work or landscaping, you could trigger the alarms.
If you touch a door handle that had some of the trigger chemicals after someone else, you could trigger the alarms.
With such sensitive devices, there's a whole range of things that could set them off.

All the more reason for law abiding citizens to declare that "enough is enough". Being that I was born and raised in PRHI, unfortunately air travel is the most efficient way off the island. There's gotta be a way to send a message to the idiots running TSA that their new "security measure" won't do anything to make flying safer. More "security theater" to mess with the American people.

gf

ricbak

All the more reason for law abiding citizens to declare that "enough is enough". Being that I was born and raised in PRHI, unfortunately air travel is the most efficient way off the island. There's gotta be a way to send a message to the idiots running TSA that their new "security measure" won't do anything to make flying safer. More "security theater" to mess with the American people.

gf

Unfortunately, GF is right. I am pretty sure that the powers to be won't let any of us carry our sidearms on board, or some other form of non-lethal device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnporter