Just stoped for open carry in ihop

Llamaminimax

Was at ihop with my friends and family after about a hour or so we got up to leave. Since I was alittle over heated I need put my jacket on and right by the door was a mishawaka police officer. He didnt notice my gun at first til I got half way out the door and he freaked out and said "sir sir show me your permit now" which I replied "by law I dont have too" but wanting to leave I showed him anyway which then he teplied "when im somewhere and someone has a gun I will see it thank you"
I find it crazy how I was stopped in indiana a open carry state for open carrying my gun.

Some are cool, some are not...just like most professions and people...You gotta take the good with the bad. My father is a retired officer, there is NOTHING he enjoyed more than simply letting people go about their business. In high school there were some awkward situations in which he had arrested or ticketed friends of mine the night before and they never minded, they would often say things like...yeah I was screwing up and he only did what he had to, he was cool about it....

So you get good and bad....It's NOT a job I would want for all the tea in China, in fact, his words to me, If you become a cop, I'll shoot you myself lol

Sadly no I did not I know I really should have cause he was out of line. he yelled so loud and jumped up so fast everybody in ihop was bending over their tables to watch what the police officer was gonna do.

Challenge these authoritarians!

Sorry to hear about your rights being violated so egregiously. I can say in Wisconsin that the LEO would have been in violation of state law by demanding a permit solely on the basis of being legally armed. I would have gotten the officer's name and recorded the encounter with my phone.

A good answer to the permit demand would have been "do you mean the 2nd amendment?"

How far are you willing to take it?

This doesn't pertain to OC but I've had cops insist that I am required to inform them I'm carrying (no such law in Colorado). I ask them to cite the statute or arrest me. The encounter generally ends right there.

As far as producing a permit the law is kinda grey here the statute does say that i must produce my permit and a valid form of ID upon demand.

As other's have said get the cop's information next time

Let it go. Expect it to happen repeatedly. How does the LEO know you aren't a felon or banger or other person not suited to posses a handgun unless he asks?

If you file a complaint you're wasting your time. Absolutely nothing will come of it. You, just like all of us, have enough real aggravation in life without blowing this into a big issue.

As my dad taught me, if you feel the need to bang every jackass you'll spend your life doing it. There's a never ending line of them.

BC1,

Is 100% correct, and gave you great sound advice. Sometimes as Legally Armed Citizens We have to learn to choose are battles Correctly. This battle doesnt seem to be one I would choose to fight. I'm not agreeing with what the LEO did, but in the long run how will persuing this help you. I'm glad it all ended safely for all invovled. Good luck no matter which road you choose to follow.

I am with BC1 I always plan to show my permit to a LEO only cause its alot easier and after showing my permit im told im free to go. I will still always say by law I dont have to show you my permit.

Was at ihop with my friends and family after about a hour or so we got up to leave. Since I was alittle over heated I need put my jacket on and right by the door was a mishawaka police officer. He didnt notice my gun at first til I got half way out the door and he freaked out and said "sir sir show me your permit now" which I replied "by law I dont have too" but wanting to leave I showed him anyway which then he teplied "when im somewhere and someone has a gun I will see it thank you"
I find it crazy how I was stopped in indiana a open carry state for open carrying my gun.

That's odd....
I carry my sidearm in our local ihop all of the time.
I have also come across numerous leo's while I'm carrying and have never once been stopped or questioned about carrying my sidearm.

Oh...Wait...That's probably because I carry 'concealed'.

Never mind. :)

Officer: "sir sir show me your permit now"
Citizen: "Why?"
Officer: "Because I said so"
Citizen: "Am I being detained?"
Officer: "Sow me your permit"
Citizen: "Have a nice day Officer" and leave.

The_Outlaw:281440 said:

That's odd....
I carry my sidearm in our local ihop all of the time.
I have also come across numerous leo's while I'm carrying and have never once been stopped or questioned about carrying my sidearm.

Oh...Wait...That's probably because I carry 'concealed'.

Never mind. :)

I too carry in my ihop and everywhere in my town...
I too have come across numerous leo's while I'm carrying and have never once been stopped or questioned about carrying my sidearm.

Oh...Wait...That's probably because the LEO's here know what a free society is...so I don't have to hide my firearm.

Nevermind. :)

@ BC1 (preaching to the choir)

We do not know if the cop is a good guy or a bad guy...just like he doesn't know about us. So what makes it okay for them to treat us like a bad person, but not visa versa? If they want our respect, treat us like good people until proven otherwise and we will treat them like good people until proven otherwise....if they want to treat us like bad people in the beginning...then they shouldn't expect much back...

Indiana is not a traditional open carry State like Michigan is. In Indiana they have a permit to carry a handgun. You need the permit to carry openly or concealed.

IMHO ... wrong approach.... if somehow (and I don't actually see why you would be) you are offended when asked for your permit by LEO's, you should in a very bold, increasingly louder and eager voice, pronounce, 'Oh sure, OFF-I-CER!, I have my PERMIT TO CARRY HANDGUNS RIGHT HERE ... while getting it out and waving it above your head for all to see. AND remember to grin ear-to-ear while doing so.

deadly weapon in a Vermont school bus or school building or on school property ??

deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

Hi Folks

New member here. Live in Vermont. I have a question regarding the information below as it relate to Vermont. When it comes to school building and bus's The rules are clear. NO WAY. However when reading section (b) below it states that on "school property" you may carry as long as your "intent" is to to harm someone.

Therefor my question is has any one else wondered about this section, and agree that the conclusion is: that it is legal to have a firearm in your possession on school property only, as long as your intention was not to harm anyone?

Title 13: Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Chapter 85: WEAPONS
13 V.S.A. § 4004. Possession of dangerous or deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

§ 4004. Possession of dangerous or deadly weapon in a school bus or school building or on school property

(a) No person shall knowingly possess a firearm or a dangerous or deadly weapon while within a school building or on a school bus. A person who violates this section shall, for the first offense, be imprisoned not more than one year or fined not more than $1,000.00, or both, and for a second or subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than three years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(b) No person shall knowingly possess a firearm or a dangerous or deadly weapon on any school property with the intent to injure another person. A person who violates this section shall, for the first offense, be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $1,000.00, or both, and for a second or subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than three years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(c) This section shall not apply to:

(1) A law enforcement officer while engaged in law enforcement duties.

(2) Possession and use of firearms or dangerous or deadly weapons if the board of school directors, or the superintendent or principal if delegated authority to do so by the board, authorizes possession or use for specific occasions or for instructional or other specific purposes.

(d) As used in this section:

(1) "School property" means any property owned by a school, including motor vehicles.

(2) "Owned by the school" means owned, leased, controlled or subcontracted by the school.

(3) "Dangerous or deadly weapon" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(4) "Firearm" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(5) "Law enforcement officer" has the meaning defined in section 4016 of this title.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not limit or restrict any prosecution for any other offense, including simple assault or aggravated assault. (Amended 1989, No. 143 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1999, No. 113 (Adj. Sess.), § 11.)

Let it go. Expect it to happen repeatedly. How does the LEO know you aren't a felon or banger or other person not suited to posses a handgun unless he asks?

If you file a complaint you're wasting your time. Absolutely nothing will come of it. You, just like all of us, have enough real aggravation in life without blowing this into a big issue.

As my dad taught me, if you feel the need to bang every jackass you'll spend your life doing it. There's a never ending line of them.

There was not any probable cause (PC). If you no not stand up for your rights you will not have any. Not a bad idea to keep a copy of your laws in you glove box, have them show you where it is.

The first provision says that you can't have a firearm on school property. The second says that you can't have one to harm someone. You will still violate (a) even if you don't violate (b). If you violate (b) you will have two charges against you. Also keep in mind that Federal law has a 1000 foot gun free zone around school property. It doesn't apply if you have a CPL from that State but since Vermont doesn't have a CPL that wouldn't apply.

You are eating lunch at McDonald's with children seated at your table. LEO comes up to you and asks you to provide identification and prove they are your children because how does the LEO know that you aren't a kidnapper, registered sex offender or other person not suited to be in the presence of children unless he asks? Or LEO asks you for identification while at the school picking up your children to make sure you are not a registered sex offender...

That would be OK, right?

There was not any probable cause (PC). If you no not stand up for your rights you will not have any. Not a bad idea to keep a copy of your laws in you glove box, have them show you where it is.
Probable cause was when the Officer saw the gun. If he didn't have a permit he would have been breaking the law.

Probable cause was when the Officer saw the gun. If he didn't have a permit he would have been breaking the law.

See my post #18 directly above. The mere sight of a gun in no way is probable cause that the person carrying it is not legal to do so, just like the mere sight of children with an adult is in no way probable cause that the person is a kidnapper or sex offender.

Or how about this one: is an officer sees me talking on a cell phone, is that probable cause that the cell phone is stolen or that I am stealing cell phone service with an illegally modified cell phone? So it would be OK for the officer to request that I hand over my cell phone so he can run the serial number?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back